PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 - Military exemptions?

BigGrecian
19th Sep 2004, 13:04
Does anyone know whether if you have a RAF A1G1Z1 (highest aircrew med cat) if there are any exemptions from the Class 1. I have been told that if I bring my EEG results from my medical then I will save £85 but that's about it?
Anyone know?

Specaircrew
24th Sep 2004, 14:38
Well the doc at my medical centre does Class 1 medicals for £50 and I'm A3 G4 Z1! It helps if you do it at the same time as your annual medical as a lot of the tests are duplicated, unless of course you're old like me and have to renew it every six months!

MightyGem
25th Sep 2004, 04:21
You may get it done cheaper by a military doc(some do, some don't in my experience), but civilians will charge the full price.

BigGrecian
26th Sep 2004, 11:49
Right, have finally got a reply from CAA SRG Med Division, via email.
The intial Class 1 can be gained through a Military AME, only a few of which are about. (There are however quite a few who will issue renewals.) I am having my Class 1 Initial done at Cranwell, where I have to pay for :

Eye Test - £25(Contracted out to local opticians in Sleaford)
ECG - £27 Payable to CAA
Medical - £40 Payable to your local RMC.

All the rest of the tests such as EEG you had done at your Part 2 Medical at OASC.
Its a damn sight cheaper than the £422 at Gatwick.
Check with your Military Doc first, because I made the mistake of booking my initial then subsquently finding out, and having to pay the £20 cancellation charge!

I have the direct dial number of the lady who deals with the military AMEs, so PM me if you require the number.