PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar disappointment

Hay Ewe
17th Sep 2004, 02:27
Saw this thread title and just had to say it.

Sorry but probably not the response you want for this thread but I would assess flying with Jetstar as quite poor.

I at the begining of the week I flew from BNE to CNS on the early morning flight.

Three flights all departed from the same gate. My flight was the last to board and the TV screen still said that it was going to Rockhampton.

Got on board and the cabin crew just didnt have the enthusiasm or character. The bloke reading the welcome message paused before saying where we were going and also paused before reading the name of the flight deck crew. It seemed like he had to stop and ask or look them up.

As for rubbish collection, well, the girl pulled a large bin bag behind her, dragging it on the floor, pretty bloody poor I thought.

Landing was a bit sketchy I thought, but at least we landed!

Like I said, probably not what you want on this thread but this is how I see it.

I dont think that the opposition have much to worry about, I flew JQ becasue of the times and cost but out of choice I wouldnt if I had another option.

Hay Ewe - any other flights?

Mr Seatback 2
18th Sep 2004, 04:30
Hay Ewe...

"Three flights all departed from the same gate. My flight was the last to board and the TV screen still said that it was going to Rockhampton.

Point being? Virgin used the same gates until recently - and departure screen ####-ups aren't unusual in any airline.

"Got on board and the cabin crew just didnt have the enthusiasm or character. The bloke reading the welcome message paused before saying where we were going and also paused before reading the name of the flight deck crew. It seemed like he had to stop and ask or look them up."

Point being again? What - as cabin crew (or more importantly, Jetstar cabin crew), they are not ALLOWED to forget simple things like destinations or their Tech Crew??

If you're doing day 5 of a 4 sector day (and with Tech Crew changes inbetween), I would think one would be allowed to verify their information first prior to opening one's mouth. God forbid we can't show that we're human.

"As for rubbish collection, well, the girl pulled a large bin bag behind her, dragging it on the floor, pretty bloody poor I thought."

And? Poor in what sense? Yes it's cheap and nasty - but, this isn't Business Class, and nor were you served a free tray-meal. People want the cheap fares (fares where a gun was not pointed at your head to purchase, I might add H.E.), but don't seem to want to suffer the 'shortcuts' in achieving cost savings to LOWER the fares in the first place!

"Landing was a bit sketchy I thought, but at least we landed!

Like I said, probably not what you want on this thread but this is how I see it.

I dont think that the opposition have much to worry about, I flew JQ becasue of the times and cost but out of choice I wouldnt if I had another option."

1) The landing was the fault of the Cabin Crew? CNS at this time of year - like all Nth QLD ports - are renowned for their turbulent weather and rough landing...

2) You are more than entitled to your opinion H.E.

3) But you did have another option H.E. - and you chose Jetstar because of what??? The times and the cost.

QLD Crew at the moment are working very very hard and long hours, whilst more crew are trained up from ground schools. This means operating very long days, with early starts frequently. All of these have an impact on the eagerness of many people (and before anyone jumps down my throat, ALL AIRLINES suffer this. The cumulative effect of fatigue on the body quite often overrides our basic desire to be jumping beans in the morning).

For those interested in flying...

1) MEL base will be the next ground school (or majority of), with more crew to be based in SEQ (South East Queensland). These are the two bases with the biggest shortages, as the Airbus/Boeing flying out of each base changes each month.

2) ADL (Adelaide) base is rumoured to be next, before they move westward into PER (Perth). That's the gossip so far.

Of course, with the range of the Airbus allowing transcon flights, and the startup of Jetstar Asia very soon, wouldn't be surprised if something in the west (in terms of a base) was opened sooner, rather than later!

Capt Fathom
19th Sep 2004, 03:30
CNS at this time of year - like all Nth QLD ports - are renowned for their turbulent weather and rough landing...
Oh really! And what is that based on?

Mr Seatback 2
19th Sep 2004, 11:03
Uh...experience CF?!!

TSV in the summer is always a fun descent!

Final 3 Greens
20th Sep 2004, 01:19
Look out everyone, its the Whingers of Oz ;)

Chooch
23rd Sep 2004, 03:05
Ditto to Mr Seatback's post.

Try flying domestic USA - and then enter a few posts on these.

It is about time people stopped moaning about cheap flights.

If you had taken a bus or a train, would you expect glory on
board ? Would you expect perfect announcements and service ?

I doubt it. You would actually get zip unless you bought a first
class ticket.

A flight is a flight. If you buy a cheap ticket, just sit down and
enjoy the fact that you are not on a bus taking god knows how
long to get where you want to go.

Now - if you had bought a First Class ticket and gotten the same
service, then that's a different matter.

Come on gang, wake up - reality awaits you !!!

:rolleyes:

Galley Power
5th Oct 2004, 07:26
Hi Hay Ewe...

I flew Jetstar B717 SYD-OOL, and had a great flight. As a flight attendant with another company, sometimes I forget or blank out who the pilots are or the destinations. As said, you may do four flights in the one day, with different tech and cabin crew too! Not to mention a three day trip. So it happens sometimes on the PA, a pause isn't going to end the world.
In addition, I agree with the plastic bag issue. Its disgusting to walk down an aisle with a plastic bag. Perhaps they should do what Virgin Blue do and walk down with a trolley with a bag inside of it, or as we do, walk down with a plastic container for collection. This avoids the unproffesional look and spillages leaking on the aisle floor. Believe me, every bag leaks somewhere.
Rough landings? Hey, it happens and its not any airlines' fault!
By the way, anyone know exactly what Jetstar cabin crew award is like, regarding pay, hours...? Sick of rumour. :rolleyes:

EasyBaby
9th Oct 2004, 00:31
Well im looking forward to my flight and by looking at some of the threads by jet* crew im hoping it will be a laugh esp if ditzy is onboard!

It will be nice to fly on something other than the 73, and to have a bundy and coke all in a can, why dont we have that sort of thing over here?

Im flying from MEL - SYD 18th Nov my first trip to Oz and really excited ive already had a look at the onboard menu and know what i want already! Gee i need to get out more!!

p.s are the guys and gals on the website wearing the uniform real crew? just there are a few cute ones, and not a bad uniform, compared to ours at least!

EB ;)

ditzyboy
13th Oct 2004, 14:13
Galley Power -
I earnt $54k last year, which isn't bad for a 23 year old without a uni degree. Mind you this was whilst we still had overnights and I was in my forth year with the company. This apparently means something??? Bound to earn less this year (and work more - go figure!) due to having 3-4 away nights a month vs. the 10-14 we had last year.

With JQ we are under the same award but our flying has changed DRASTICALLY. I guess our days are longer on average and we do 4 sectors most of the time. But we are not aways as much which is where the $$ are, of course.

You can find our EBA II at http://www.wagenet.gov.au/WageNet/Search/View.ASP?docid=186855&query=(IMPULSE%20FLIGHT%20ATTENDANT)&quickview=Y The dollar values have increased slightly and some lower allowance bands no longer apply.

EBA III is going to be VERY interesting. We will be pushing for an EBA more suited to the new type of flying. It seems now the less you work the more you get paid... We cannot continue like this obviously. Hope the link to the EBA helps.

EasyBaby -
Yes. The crew in the photo are REAL live crew... They were the people who are an 8 or 9 out of 10 Cute-ness wise. They couldn't use me as I am the sole 10 out of 10 at Jetstar and it really would make everyone else in the shot look more unpretty than what they are. It would be unfair on them really because they tried... It's so hard to be me sometimes. *Jokes!* ;)

Message me your trip details. We shall have to see if there is any Ppruners amongst us on your flight to show you a fun time. :)

The Bundy and Coke all in a single can is really convinent for those unable to drink out of a glass, yes. And reduces waste too. Just so posh, really.

Hay Ewe -
Reality check for you. What you described sounds like an indifferent experience at worst.

Re the trash bags... Go fly AA or UA domestically and you will experience the same *SHOCKING* method of rubbish collection. Admittedly they use slightly smaller bags over there. Ours are big enough to use as a tent sleeping a familiy of five! But hey. Them's the breaks. We all long for the glamorous old times. Me too. But times have changed for the better. Better because Australians have airfares CHEAPER than ever. MORE flights and choice, we still all have jobs and Qantas are making record profits. Most, if not all, legacy carriers are struggling at best. Few are turning profits.

FACT is almost 60% of our customers fly for less than $100 per sector. Considering average sector length is around 75 mins and atleast $25 is airport and Government taxes I think you could do worse than to endure a CM who doesn't know the Tech Crew intimately and having a rubbish bad pass by you twice in 100 mins or so...

Love it or hate it (I really don't have an opinion in this regard. I could care less - I still have a job.). Qantas has chosen to use JQ as its vehicle for profit and growth in the domestic market. Jetstar is the poo. So take a big whiff.

Big Hairy Potatoes
13th Oct 2004, 21:59
Ditzy, a qustion for you. Where do store these "bags big enough to sleep a family of five" on landing?

ditzyboy
14th Oct 2004, 02:18
Big Hairy -
We have adopted the common practice of placing the rubbish bags in the toilets for landing. I do know it happens in Europe and Asia on LCCs. It's approved by CASA and the 'procedure' is listed in our CCOM. Lav doors even have a placarded sign stating the requirements. The bag cannot weigh more than 77kg, cannot be much higher than the toilet seat height and the door must be locked-out for landing.

The bags are quiet large but obviously we don't fill them. It isn't glamorous when they get more than one-third full and you hit everyone's knees with the bag when walking down the ailse.

Many of us use service trays to collect the rubbish five rows at a time. Though this is obviously more time consuming and crew are not obliged to do it.