PDA

View Full Version : Welbeck to Pilot Training?

LukeMurray
19th Sep 2004, 02:07
Firstly, so sorry if this post is in the wrong place/has been posted before - I'm new to the forums and relatively inexperienced.

I'm a 15 year old currently in my last year of school, with hopes of joining the RAF as a fast-jet pilot. Recently, in my search for a suitable sixth-form college I came across Welbeck, soon to become the new Defense Sixth Form. Having read the prospectus, the facilities, subjects and general lifestyle sound fantastic with one major drawback: they only accept those entering into one of the technical arms of the armed forces.

And, thus, to my question. Are there any other colleges offering such facilities for prospective pilots or alternatively, are there any ways of joining Welbeck and yet still becoming a pilot ( e.g. enrolling with them and then branching off to do pilot training or joining RAF as an engineer and moving across to do pilot training after a couple of years )?

Any information on the subject would be fantastic as I'm sligthly lost at the moment. Thanks!

BigGrecian
19th Sep 2004, 13:15
I suggest you approach the AFCO, or look at RAF Careers Website (http://www.rafcareers.com/) and look at a 6th Form Sponsorship as a Pilot, probably better than going to Welbeck if you want to be a RAF Pilot.

Vortex Thing
8th Oct 2004, 11:32
Know and served with lots of Welbexians the vast majority went on to REME, RE and Sigs in the Army.

If you want to go GD(P) on FJ suggest you speak to AFCO or SLO and apply for a 6th Form Scholarship and stay at your own school 6th form.

If you don't have a 6th form suggest that you go to the your nearest public school or grammar school rather than an FE college (obviously dependant on where you live) do the best you can and be Mr Extra Curricula. Join the free-fall tantric bonsai underwater basket weaving club and become the soical secretary whilst climbing mountains in your spare time, etc

Suffice to say give yourself something more than everyone else or really think why they would want you more than anyone else.

Then don't listen to the hype go to uni and join the UAS and then and only then when you have something to fall back on should it all go pear shaped sign on the dotted line.

It took me two and half years from Elementary to advanced and I was not slow compared to some who took up to 4 years to reach the line. Many didn't make it so having a degree was their safety net. You also get faster promotion with a degree which means that you get more money sooner and can pay back uni.

Bonne Chance

P.S. Surely you actually want rotary rather than fast jets unless you really like the brill cream :ok: :ok: :ok:

Firestorm
10th Oct 2004, 10:19
If you're doing well at your present school, and it's got a good sixth form, why not stay where you are?

To reinforce your interest in the RAF, however, you could join your local Air Training Corps and get involved in their training and summer camps etc. If you want to go on to university after sixth form, either try for a bursary or a scholarship from the RAF, and get involved with the University Air Squadron. For more details, go to the RAF careers office, and talk to your school careers master.

Good on you for asking questions and looking for advice. Good luck.