PDA

View Full Version : Regional Airline Required Hours?

AllInGoodTime
18th Sep 2004, 11:39
Greetings.

Requesting information on what type of hours the Regionals are after.

Example - You meet the total (EAA - TT 1000/TWN 500, REX TT 1500/ TWN 500) and twin time hours, but your 500 command twin is not all IFR but a mix of IFR and VFR flying.
Does anyone know if Rex and Easterns will consider this mix of hours acceptable.

Really appreciate some clarification on this . Thank you.

AllInGoodTime my boy, AllInGoodTime!!!

John Citizen
18th Sep 2004, 21:42
Don't get too excited

I got over 3 times those min requirements, including multi-crew turbine command RPT IFR, and I still can't get a REX interview.

I have to admit I am not too interested in them anymore but I will keep on applying/updating just to see if this staff.cv thing actually works.

I also thought once I hit the "magic 500 IFR" it will all happen, but it certainly didn't :{

turbinejunkie
20th Sep 2004, 02:28
AllInGoodTime,

I wouldn't be too deterred by the comments of JC above, because: "The squeaky bearing gets the most oil".

Keep on their cases and something will happen for you, just can't say when. Just do it diplomtatically, be respectful of the employer's time, ask if it is convenient to talk for just a couple of minutes and if not arrange a time mutually convenient, etc. etc.

It all takes time and persistent effort but in the end this strategy pays dividends. While Regionals are never likely to be desperate for crew, they will consider applicants who meet their published minimums (check out staffcv, etc.) - it's the old story: supply and demand.

Quite simple really.

Regards,

TJ :ok:

p.s. I like your Pprune name - very applicable to this game! ;)

AllInGoodTime
20th Sep 2004, 03:12
Hi turbinejunkie

Thanks for the reply. Yes All in good time, otherwise you might go mad.

slice
20th Sep 2004, 11:40
tj - really!! I think now you find that due to these operators receiving 113465 calls a day trying to do exactly what you have suggested, they have very efficient call disposal techniques. The trick is not to let on that you are a pilot looking for employment and be as vague as possible.

As far as I can gather at the moment -

Eastern is no turbine, not considered

REX - piston only considered with Vitamin C (C = contact)

John Citizen
20th Sep 2004, 22:11
REX - piston only considered
:confused:
I don't think so.

I know 3 pilots hired by REX within the last 6 months, and they all had turbine time (2 of them had turbine command).

slice
20th Sep 2004, 23:51
Sorry - misunderstanding. I meant 'piston only' in terms of 'pilots who have piston time only' not 'REX hire piston only'

turbinejunkie
22nd Sep 2004, 10:27
Slice,

Yes, you are 100% right!

They DO have marvellous ways to get rid of callers - chief amongst them not even answer the darn phone! :} but I liken it to a miner searching for gold or diamonds....

You pretty much have to dig through quite a bit of crud to find those gems / gold! :E

It's worked for me!!! :ok:

TJ.

Bill Smith
22nd Sep 2004, 10:44
I have to beg to differ

It all takes time and persistent effort but in the end this strategy pays dividends. While Regionals are never likely to be desperate for crew, they will consider applicants who meet their published minimums (check out staffcv, etc.) - it's the old story: supply and demand.

Eastern has been recruiting continuously for 12 months!

There was definitely at least one applicant that had 0 turbine experience.

Make of it what you will

newbe200
22nd Sep 2004, 11:22
thats right, i know two employed with rex in last three months with 0 turbine. i also had the call from rex with 0 turbine and then again with turbine, but alas, right call wrong time.

anyone know how to get into virgin without your dad being a captain?? maybe i should start a different thread?

have not had a call from easterns, and dont know anyone who has, but friends tell me they are continously recruiting 0 turbine as well

cheers nb20

ps if anyone has a dad that can get me into virgin, send me a pm. :ok:

turbinejunkie
23rd Sep 2004, 19:38
There was definitely at least one applicant that had 0 turbine experience.
Make of it what you will
Bill Smith and newbe200, I have no problem with you guys disagreeing with my point of view in this matter (I'm naturally optimistic in perspective) but I wouldn't measure suitability to be employed in Rex or Eastern (or even Qantas, Virgin or Skywest or for that matter any number of other major employers) purely by having turbine experience or not.

Clearly those employers don't either.

No doubt nepotism exists in certain circles but I think when the going gets tough, the tough get going. Don't give up. Get yourselves known to these outfits and think outside of the square.

It does work. Its been my experience. And I am confident the future will be only better than it is today.

The rewards are there for those who keep a positive attitude and hang in there until their dreams are fulfilled.

Hope you share in it all also.

Regards,

TJ :ok:

newbe200
23rd Sep 2004, 22:55
gday, i didn't think i was disagreeing with you!!

anyway, it is not my opinion that turbine is a be all end all, in fact, my post suggests that i received a call from rex both with and without turbine. The only airline with turbine experience requirements(that i have applied to) is Cathay, being 1000 with 3000 total, but i am sure even that is flexible.

supply = demand

lots of unemployed turbine pilots = high turbine requirements

therefore, i believe that the cathay req will drop once the pool dries up

cheers nb20

Bill Smith
23rd Sep 2004, 23:41
TJ

My point was not whether people without Turbine Experience were suitable or not. There are great drivers that have never had the opportunity to fly a turbine!
It was that they, the regionals, are getting desperate filling required FO slots as they are back to interviewing people with their minimum requirements.
My point being that the pool is drying up. This is a great thing ! It means that there is movement in the Industry again.

BTW I am known to these outfits I work for one of them :ok:

Hugh Jarse
25th Sep 2004, 21:09
Allingoodtime,

You no doubt have looked at staffcv.

1000 hours total
500 hour in command of mulit-engine fixed wing aircraft (excluding ICUS)
Turbine experience is desirable but not compulsory

There is no clarification as to what type of multi time is required, except that ICUS is excluded. Previously there were IFR requirements, but it appears they no longer apply. Therefore I would assume that a mix of IFR/VFR would be acceptable......So in answer to your question Allingoodtime - as long as it is all command time, you'll be okay.

In response to some assertions made elsewhere on this thread, resources limit the number of applicants that can be processed at any time.

I can only speak from experience in my company (Eastern). I can assure you that applicants are assessed on a broad range of criteria, of which aeronautical experience is merely one (albeit important) facet.

Therefore, (theoretically) a person that competes strongly on, say education or other qualifications gained outside of aviation, but with no turbine time may get processed ahead of somebody with a lot of turbine time. It depends on the needs of the company, and how they perceive your potential value as a future employee, not just an ability to pole an aeroplane around.

Take heed of what Bill Smith wrote.

When it comes down to it, the turbine argument means little when it comes to the sim ride. What's more important is your actual flying ability, of which a lot (IMHO) depends on your training, and IFR recency if you are currently operating predominantly VFR. One group doesn't necessarily perform better than the other (turbine vs piston only).

Yes, we have employed piston drivers of late, and yes, they have performed well in the evaluation sim.

Good luck!

Chocks Away
2nd Oct 2004, 09:56
G'day H-Jarse:cool:

Fellas, check this out (http://www.apng.com/company.html)
(Fleet stats haven't been updated.)
Could be your "leg up", best 'o'luck.
:ok: