PDA

View Full Version : CAL Application

BritishGuy
17th Sep 2004, 13:18
Just a question, on the China Airlines website you have 2 ways to apply. Fax, email and online. Do they give preference to one way of application to another? The reason I ask is that I rather just email or fax them a CV and covering letter. But their online process seems to be a lot more long winded. If it's the online process they consider then I'll take a little time out and fill it i. If people have been hired by just sending a fax/email then I won't waste my time filling the online application out then.

Can someone please give a jr like myself a heads up to what would be prefered if any one method really is.

Thanks.

GTC58
17th Sep 2004, 15:59
I applied online and it took just a little over a week to get an interview invite.

bushpilot2004
18th Sep 2004, 00:31
I applied online to CAL about 2 weeks ago; no answer yet. I'm 45 years old, 4300 hrs, 1600 multi, 500 airline (turboprop). Can anybody working there comment if these are competitive times? Thanks!!

29chev
18th Sep 2004, 03:23
I have yet to hear of anyone getting an interview without some jet time,and although they were interviewing guys without type ratings(for a while) I think that has stopped and they want at least either a bus or a boeing type rating of some kind, as the 146, f28 guys that were coming were having problems with the sim eval, I think the check guys were expecting too much from non rated guys but what can you do, it's their bag of marbles.
Also I suggest you do the online app.

GTC58
18th Sep 2004, 16:50
I can confirm 29Chev's comments. All guys in my interview had a Boeing type-rating and jet time.

If you are non type-rated and have no glass experience the sim evaluation is harder then it seems. All flying is done without auto-pilot, take-off weight is very very light, so sim handles unstable and touchy. The IFR flying is straight forward, if you are not familiar with the mode selector panel and/or flight director you will fly approaches raw data. The sim instructor will give you a good maneuvers/IFR briefing, however doesn't give you any aircraft-type/sim specific information.
My impression was, that the sim instructor wants you to succeed and evaluates performance very fair.

bushpilot2004
26th Sep 2004, 00:58
Thanks for the info- If invited to interview I may do a sim prep at Pan Am International; about $1000 for a briefing and some time in the 744 sim. Also, the EMB120 is anEFIS/FMS bird with autopilot and flight director- all different from the Boeing tho. I'll be waiting patiently...

International Trader
26th Sep 2004, 11:14
China Airlines people are generally OK.They want people to come.
The interview and Sim Check process would have to be the easiest anywhere.
The story is different once you get there.
Don't expect upgrade as the latest that I hear is the company will be completely national within 10 years.Only nationals will be upgraded.
Three Airbus F/O have just left because of the promotion problem. Company expect about 10 more to leave soon. Rumours of three or four on boeing fleet

Be careful if you hope to if you hope to get the endorsement and some time to move on as the Taiwan Licenceand Rating is not accepted anywhere else. You might be wasting your time.
Good luck

QNH1013
26th Sep 2004, 14:38
International Trader,

I don't quite understand how a Boeing or Airbus Type rating and hours on type with an internatuional airline like CAL would not be accepted purely for the fact that it is on a Taiwan licence?

Could you explain more on this fact? Would this mean that the CAL pilots that are leaving for other airlines have a harder time getting jobs? Or have they maintained their previous country's licence while they had a Taiwan licence?

Thanks.

Smokie
16th Nov 2004, 23:23
Yes, more details on this one somebody please.
Could be quite important, don't want to leave after the 3 year contract to find my self unemployable due to some tiny oversight in licensing.:(

sky330
17th Nov 2004, 13:31
My understanding,

If you don't have the type rating before coming to CAL, you will have a type rating based on a Taiwanese licence.

Your country CAA may or may not accept, the equivalence afterwards and quite a lot WILL refuse because Taiwan is not ICAO approved (due to the special political situation). So in fact, it may be impossible for you to put that type rating in your primary licence without a lot of sim/ground checks...

If you have the type rating before coming to CAL, the easiest (and cheapest...) is to keep your other licence valid by passing the medical.
JAA, for ie, accept to put on type rating with the mention "restricted to China Airlines", if you prove you succeeded reccurent checks in CAL and have the hours. To get, a "full" JAA afterwards, you only need a Prof-check with a JAA approved examiner.

Now, if I am wrong, just flamed me.

The best solution, IMHO, is to ask your CAA beforehand what will be their attitude regarding a type rating on a Taiwanese licence.

Smokie
25th Nov 2004, 20:11
I have asked the UK CAA and it'a No Go, due the ICAO thing.
Interesting about the JAA though. Anyone got any more info on that angle?:)

SubsonicMortal
30th Nov 2004, 18:07
Hi guys

I just noticed the requirements on CAL's website for the various fleet types. As I hold an ICAO ATP and 2000hrs I was immediately excited at the idea that I meet their minimum requirements. However, after the previous posts on the fact that they will probably not grant an interview without a type rating, Im not so sure if I even stand a chance. The biggest rating on my license is an ATR42 which Im currently flying as an FO.

Does anyone know where one will be based IF employed by them? It does seem troubling that the license will not be respected elsewhere in the world.

:ok:

29chev
1st Dec 2004, 16:26
Sorry but you need to have a boeing or a bus Type rateing or you are Sh-t Out of Luck.

Also the base is Taipei, Taiwan for F/O's

And it is true the Taiwan license is accepted no where but Taiwan so if you take the job but don't plan to stay for life better keep your old license current...it is possible (in some contries) to transfer your type rateing. but you must check with your home transport agency to see if they will do it.

29chev