PDA

View Full Version : Network Help

Maxflyer
17th Sep 2004, 10:40
The company I work for has a small network (3 pc's) running on Win 98. I work from home and have a laptop. Is it an easy matter for me to dial up the server and be part of the network?

mikedurward
17th Sep 2004, 13:04
It all depends on how the 3 pc's in the office are set up. Do you actually have a server or are all the pc's just linked together with a hub?

Maxflyer
17th Sep 2004, 14:13
There is one server and two other pcs connected to it via ethernet cards.

They all run Win 98.

Hope that helps?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
17th Sep 2004, 16:24
Maxflyer,

There are many ways to do so. One of the easier ways is by using:

Symantec's pcAnywhere (http://www.symantec.com/pcanywhere/Consumer/index.html)

Just make sure the Server has a Modem or the Network is on Broadband.

Take Care,

Richard

mikedurward
19th Sep 2004, 11:15
As far as I an aware. Win 98 can not be used as a server. It does not have the capability to carry RAS sessions. Also to use PC Anywhere you need to have static IP addressing, which is rare with dial up connections.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
19th Sep 2004, 13:30
mikedurward,

A static IP is not needed with pcAnywhere. You can log in via dialup by calling the number for the phone line connected to the modem and via Broadband by using the current IP Address which is very easy to find out.

Take Care,

Richard

BigGrecian
19th Sep 2004, 13:43
Can't you just use the ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) wizard with Windows, you can download it from the internet from Microsoft for 98.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
20th Sep 2004, 01:49
BigGrecian,

Maxflyer wants to remotely connect to the network from another location. (i.e. From home connect to the network at work.)

Take Care,

Richard

Maxflyer
20th Sep 2004, 06:49
Thanks for the replies folks. I was hoping to find an inexpensive way to connect, but I'm prepared to try laplink if that is the easiest way.

Thanks

MF

Naples Air Center, Inc.
20th Sep 2004, 13:00
mikedurward,

Since you are looking for a free program for Virtual Networking which can be used with Win98, you could try:

Virtual Network Computing 3.3.7 (http://www.download.com/Virtual-Network-Computing/3000-7240-10187948.html?tag=lst-0-4)

I have not used it, so I cannot comment on it.

Take Care,

Richard

mikedurward
20th Sep 2004, 13:34
Hiya Richard,

I am not really. I run 3 pc's and a laptop all with XP Pro and a wireless broadband connection.

But thanks anyway

Mike

DistantRumble
20th Sep 2004, 17:35
VNC works if both on internet with fast link.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
22nd Sep 2004, 03:40
Sorry Mike,

I meant to put Maxflyer at the top of my last post, not your name.

Just a slip of the mouse,

Richard