PDA

View Full Version : us cfi's job prospects in Oz

jibboo
17th Sep 2004, 07:25
This is a question for anyone working in Australia as a CFI:
Have you ever heard of a yank coming over and instructing in a school down there? Or any other type of work... mustering, photo flights, ferry work, Gas/pipline patrol. ...S76 captain ha ha

James US CFI....well almost 'nother month.

automan
18th Sep 2004, 12:45
HI

would help if you stated how many hours you have etc ?.
Unless you have around 700-800 instructional hours , you will find it really difficult to get any type of flight instructors work.

Automan

jibboo
19th Sep 2004, 08:22
Thanks for the info...

I'll probably have around 200 total and 0 instructional after I get my CFI. So I would have to accumulate around say 1000 instructional to have a reasonable chance at being an instructor down there? :{

Hypothetically do you think that if I gained that necesarry experience, and took the required CASA tests, I would be able to get a job instructing.

Also to transfer my FAA liscenses it's just a matter of taking practical flight right?

James

forgot to include ratings: Commercial/Instument/CFI (soon)

robbie + 300 time right now i only have 170 total hours.

james

automan
20th Sep 2004, 06:25
Another issue you may have is , Can you obtain the right to work in Australia, sources say Dima is about to remove pilots from the list

Automan

Col
20th Sep 2004, 07:48
It's easier to get into Oz than it is to get into the States. You needn't get a visa as a Pilot (I've heard it's coming off the list too). Depends on your age and education but I think if you're 30 or under, with a gegree, have some work experience in another field, you'd be alright. Check out: http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/skilled/index.htm#summary

jibboo
21st Sep 2004, 04:25
Thanks for the link

I hope that I don't need a degree to obtain a work visa...

Just turned 20 I chose flying over going to uni

I hope in a year or two that I will be able to make it over there.

How long until Pilot comes off the skilled laborer list?

BTW I just got the book "Fatal Traps for helo pilots" it was written by a kiwi, and I was wondering if somebody would enlighten me on what a "sortie" is as I am a yank and consequently not down with it.
:ok:

Thanks
James

Col
21st Sep 2004, 08:29
jibboo

If you're under 26, I think you can get 2 years in Oz fairly easily, if you haven't used your allocation.

If you can get sponsored while over there, you might not need a degree - but talk to the agent above.

Check out the CASA site for timing on skilled labor comments. Something I read said that coming off will be of immediate affect even if your application is already filed. (Sounds a bit weird, so might be misinformation...)

jibboo
21st Sep 2004, 20:59
cool man

I didn't realize it would cost so much!

-James

2Sticks
21st Sep 2004, 21:52
Hi Jibboo

According to www.adtdl.army.mil/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/fm/34-130/Gloss.htm, a sortie is:

"One aircraft making one takeoff and one landing; an operational flight by one aircraft. Hence, six sorties may be one flight each by six different aircraft, or six flights by a single aircraft. Threat air capabilities are often stated in terms of the number of sorties per day by a particular type of aircraft. They are based on an evaluation of the available number of aircraft and aircrews (ideally more than one crew per aircraft), and the threat's maintenance, logistics, and training status."

Couldn't have put it better myself!!
:cool:

2Sticks

John Abersynth
21st Sep 2004, 21:56
Heres what to do. Phone Mike at Becker Helicopters at Maroochydore, Qld. He'll look after all your requirements.

John
Please stop trying to promote BH at every opportunity. I say 'trying' because, each time you do so, someone advises anyone who might be tempted to follow your recommendation to search for other comments about that particular school before doing so.
If you do a search yourself you'll see what I mean.

Heliport

jibboo
22nd Sep 2004, 07:30
I appreciate the definition, but sadly i still don't quite grasp it, I'll just assume it means "having a go" in a helicopter....

Mike is the guy to call huh? Well I better start building my hours so I can make it over there. Thanks for the tip. :ok:

Nother question: how much does a flight instructor make in oz? AUD.

JIBBOO

Col
22nd Sep 2004, 08:31
jibboo

Before you ring 'Mike' do a search in this forum on Becker Helicopters (and other forums for that matter!) - you probably wont like what you find!

The 3 respected ones I've come across in the same area are www.phs.com.au, Bluetongue and Chopperline.