PDA

View Full Version : Post Counts

Naples Air Center, Inc.
17th Sep 2004, 03:37
Evo,

I noticed that post counts are no longer listed at the bottom of each person's posts. Is this in order to combat the flack newbies were getting in other forums?

Take Care,

Richard

dusk2dawn
17th Sep 2004, 05:36
Don't worry - we can still keep track of you in your profile :O

Evo
17th Sep 2004, 05:59
Richard - I'm not quite sure what's happening, but I expect it's a response to the recent post-count silliness in JetBlast. All will become clear, I expect :O

PPRuNe Towers
17th Sep 2004, 10:05
They're gone.

Let the content of posts stand for quality - not a number.

Many more mind games available for the saddos who find it important and we end up with a really stripped, lean interface. An excellent planning session over a few pints followed Danny's wedding ;) :p :p

Regards to all,
Rob

Evo
17th Sep 2004, 11:43
Bit off-topic, but, talking of quality vs. quantity, i've always rather liked the forums where limited moderation is much more widespread, and most (or all) users have the ability to mark posts worth reading or as containing flamebait. It makes a forum much easier to skim through without having to shift through the dross, and even somewhere like slashdot can become a hotbed of intelligent discussion when read at +4 or better (i.e. highly moderated-up posts only). You can even moderate the moderators; too many bad decisions and they lose their powers.

... on the other hand, maybe that last bit ain't so good... :O ;)

Here, we've got thread ratings, but they're not much use - threads have good and bad posts, most 1s or 5s have only one vote, and everything with a bunch of votes tends to end up as a 3. It would be nice if the software could be tweaked to allow something a bit more useful.

redsnail
17th Sep 2004, 12:20
really stripped, lean interface

Is that a description of the mods or how they'd like to be. :E

flapsforty
17th Sep 2004, 13:21
Totally factual Reds; you know that! :p

Evo, it sounds fascinating (and marvelous not having to read through all the dross), but I am not sure I really understand the system you are describing. :confused: Care to expand on it a bit more?

Evo
17th Sep 2004, 14:13
Sure thing, Flaps. :)

Different websites have their own versions, but the general idea is that while only a few senior mods have the power to delete posts, threadban etc. (just like PPRuNe), many more (or all) users are allowed to rate individual posts on their quality or lack thereof - they can mark things up for being interesting, offering a new perspective or just for being funny. If a post is just flamebait or totally misses the point then they can be marked down. If they're dull or add nothing new then they are just left alone.

The result is that when you're skimming through a forum then you can focus on posts that other people think are good, and ignore the rest. You may miss the odd unappreciated gem, but very few. There's the occasional problem - in particular, good posts that express contraversial views can get unfairly moderated down - but in general that sort of system works very well for high-volume forums where quantity otherwise swamps the quality.

edit: as for the bit about moderating the moderators, if moderation abilities are handed out freely you can also sometimes rate how well a moderator uses their powers. If they're usually fair then they'll be chosen again in the future, but if they're heavy-handed, unfair or obviously unable to understand the posts that they're ranking then they get the chop...:E

BEagle
17th Sep 2004, 14:23
There used to be such as system on PPRuNe, but it was abused and was thankfully binned!

Good riddance to thread counting!!

Evo
17th Sep 2004, 14:29
Was there? When?

I'm talking about a system where you can rank posts, not threads. It's all a bit academic with PPRuNe anyway; I don't think it fits with the software and the site isn't really big enough to need that much trimming. Maybe I'd think differently if I were a JetBlast mod ;)

Still, it works very well indeed elsewhere. You'd never find anything of value otherwise in some places. :)

Naples Air Center, Inc.
17th Sep 2004, 16:29
dusk2dawn,

Do not get me wrong, I prefer that people do not know how many thousands of posts I have.

I was just wondering if it was removed due to the problems in the other forums.

One thing I really like in this forum (Computer/Internet Issues) is everyone works together and it does not matter if you have 1 post or 1 million. Everyone is treated the same. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. I did not expect this many replies. :eek:

BLUE SKY THINKER
17th Sep 2004, 18:25
Good! .....re their demise.

While we are at it Evo, let's get rid of thread ratings. Not sure from this page how to use them anyway, but I see they still appear on the opening index.

Seems fascinating enough on here without all these fripperies!

pilotwolf
17th Sep 2004, 19:06
Out of interest why are some of the 'post icons' blue and some yellow? New posts since last visit maybe?

PW

PPRuNe Pop
17th Sep 2004, 19:10
Still, it works very well indeed elsewhere. You'd never find anything of value otherwise in some places

A point of course, but this isn't elsewhere my friend. This is PPRuNe. It is entirely unique and any changes come from the boss. Its working very well up to now but I do agree about removing the posts - they are simply an ego status and have no other purpose.

angels
20th Sep 2004, 10:54
Just harkened upon this thread.

I have no problem with post counts being removed per se.

But surely one incentive to get a personal title has been removed. IE BEagle, a thoroughly helpful and useful contributor to this forum is, we are told, on over 3000 posts!!! Had he got a personal title we wouldn't know this!

BEagle
20th Sep 2004, 16:43
I was going to pay for a personal title; however, recent events have caused me to reconsider the idea.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
22nd Sep 2004, 03:37
Is it me, or does the language in the push for personal titles defeat the whole goal they are after?

Richard

Evo
22nd Sep 2004, 17:00
TCS - PPRuNe titles are way past my humble powers, only the admins can do things like that. I can only do occasional tasks needed to keep the peace, and I'm lucky that very little of that is needed here. All I can really say is that I know that the powers-that-be are aware of and appreciate the efforts that posters put in to help out others. :ok:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
22nd Sep 2004, 23:02
Thanks TCS and Evo,

No recognition needed here. I just do it because I enjoy helping others. (If I did not enjoy helping others, I would not be in the flight school business, since there is only long hours and no money in it.) :eek:

Take Care,

Richard