PDA

View Full Version : Route for Turbine Time?

Col
16th Sep 2004, 13:48
(as a wannabe in preparation...)

Once I reach the coveted 1,000 hours as a CFII, assuming it's in the R22 or Schweizer how do you progress from there to Turbines?

Should I assume that I need to pay for the turbine endorsement or is it likely that a tour operator or some other organisation (perhaps even where I instruct as a CFII) will be prepared to train and employ me? It seems most job offers want at least 500 in turbines.

Is this watershed easier or harder than getting your first job as a CFII? Are there similar insurance requirements to SFAR where one would need a minimum number of hours before flying charter flights etc?

Any indication as to how things generally roll out would be appreciated.

Thanks

B Sousa
16th Sep 2004, 14:10
www.temscoair.com

Do a season with them with low pay and you will be in the game. Many have started out there and most have good things to say.

emsgoof
16th Sep 2004, 18:22
Temsco looks like a decent place. What sort of time can you expect to get in per season?

Rotorbike
17th Sep 2004, 16:46
Between 400 and 500 for the season.

boomerangben
17th Sep 2004, 19:16
Don't get too hung up on what ifs at 1000 hours. I never dreamt that I would be flying where I am now when I started. Take it a step at a time and enjoy it. Your attitude and personality will make more of a difference than the number of hours you have. But if you are budgeting, then allow for a turbine rating and another piton rating, but don't decide on what rating to get until there is a real possibility of getting some regular flying - they are expensive to maintain and sod's law will dictate that you buy a 206 rating, but your employer wants a 120 pilot.

best of luck

BB

Col
17th Sep 2004, 20:36
Thanks all

It's always good to get a little input from those that have been there before!

rotorboy
18th Sep 2004, 01:13
Temsco is a very good company to use as a stepping stone. Theyll take 15-25 1000 hour guys (no turbine time) every spring and put you in the Astar. They even hire Pome's on J1's. Most guys in JNU or SGY average 350-400 hours a summer. A couple hour whores' may get 425. At the end of the summer operators start calling the base manager in JNu or SGY looking for pilots. Most guys have jobs before they leave.

The pay sucks (for a first year tour pilot), a small food allowance, a small bonus, half your air ticket if you complete the season.

The good points:
Training , they give every guy 10+ hours in the As350, plus snow and flatlight training before his 135 ride. This is double what just about every other operator gives you. You will do autos till your blue in the face, hyd off training you get no where else (hovering, approaches to hover, pu set downs, quick stops, autos hyd off).

The Terrain: you get to fly very monuntains , windy , bad weather, busy (jnu) enviroment. If you want to get into the utility world, alaska is a heck of better place to build turbine time than flying laps over the ditch.

The Astar seems to be the weapon of choice these days with fire contracts, ems and eng. The more time you can get in the French Mistress , the better off you will be IMO.(Marketability) A 206 is easy to fly after flying an Astar.

Free housing, car to share and health insurance. If you have a good personality you can make a couple of extra K in tips.

If you come back a second year the pay goes up, youll get checked out on the long line, possibly the H500, and if they really like you or are desperate you could get sent out on a field contract.

Flying in SE alaska is one of the most challenging, rewarding, fun places youll ever get to work. Tours get old but you will be a stronger pilot after a summer in AK. Guys with AK time get gobbled up by operators in the L48. Espically if you can get some field time.

Pappilon on the south rim will take 1000 hour guys for the 206l, as will Era in AK and Costal in AK. You will proably have the most fun at Temsco...IMO

Later

RB:ok:

Spaced
19th Sep 2004, 00:15
Do they take Aus pilots?

4ero
21st Sep 2004, 00:27
only the ones with the iniative to find out for themselves...

BigMike
21st Sep 2004, 04:49
Question: If Temsco takes overseas pilots what are the requirements? I assume you need an FAA licence and work visa. Does anyone recommend a flight school that is regarded by Temsco for the conversion?
I have an Aus and NZ licence with 500 and Squirrel time, plus time in the mountains (Southern Alps, NZ)
I’m really interested in a field job with them. Do you have to do a season on tours first? My total hours are a little over 2000. (1800 turbine)

Cheers BigMike