PDA

View Full Version : ATPL(H) - international or not?!!

Col
16th Sep 2004, 08:22
Hi All

I'm trying to finalise my route to becoming a "worthy" pilot (from scratch). These are my plans...

Qualify as a CFII. Spend first year or so getting 1,000+ hours. Sign up for correspondence course for ATPL(H)... erh! this is where I'm not entirely clear...

I had assumed (wrong of me I know!) that the ATPL(H) was international but it seems that depending on which country you may wish to work in, each has it's own stipulations as to what EXTRA you will need to do to qualify for their version.

For example, in Australia - take a couple of exams, have 750 hours and you're in. In the UK, take all ATPL(H) training AGAIN, take course of multi-engine flying, take flying as an instructor sees fit and you might be OK.(cynical I know, but what instructing school isn't going to say "you need a few hundred more hours mate... sign here... we'll help you with that?!)

Is this the mess that it seems? Is it worth getting an ATPL(H) in this case? I had thought that going the ATPL(H) route would avoid getting a CPL(H) for each country - also requiring more ground school and more instruction.

Someone tell me this isn't so!! Or at least a little help in clarifying things for me, please.....

WLM
16th Sep 2004, 09:41
An ATPL is only a recognition of higher qualifications and hours, including the right to fly PIC of an airline operation aircraft(s). But that is where it stops. Every country's Civil Aviation organisation has its own requirements, despite your FAA, JAR etc etc. It must meet the ICAO standards as a minimum and the relevant country organisation has the final say. I had to sit the local licence equivalent in every country I fly professionaly its registered aircraft. :rolleyes:

Col
16th Sep 2004, 12:08
OK, thanks for making it clear WLM

So, in essence this is "just the way it is" for a pilot and needs to be factored in whereever you choose to go?

I guess the more experience you get, the more likely you will be able to get 'waivers' as indicated in the regs?

Steve76
16th Sep 2004, 15:40
Col, sorry to burst your bubble but you really should be in the wannabe forum reading before you post.

There is no "route" and Helicopter instruction needs more experienced guys not newbies.

ATPL is not about waivers. Each regulatory authority has its own requirements. IE: Canada wants 50hrs of night flying whereas Australia needs none.

If you were smart, you might reply or listen to Bert Sousa on your other post. Become a pilot, suck it up and go bush, learn something and then go instructing.

Col
16th Sep 2004, 17:12
Hi Steve76 - there must be so many like you!

You haven't burst any bubbles, I'm just looking for information and giving myself the best start possible.

No battle plan ever survived contact with the enemy, so I'm expecting curve balls etc. However, at the risk of using yet another cliche - if you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

I'm familiar with your posts and Berts so there isn't any real need for you to go beating the same drum, again! Having said that I am taking stuff on board and quite fancy a trip to Alaska!

I need to build a "big picture" and your input is just as valuable to me at this stage as the more positive posts looking to give people a steer or any help or opinion they can offer. I will one day, hopefully, be able to give other budding pilots an opportunity/opinion or steer.

automan
20th Sep 2004, 23:30
Hi Col,

The best advise I can give you is plan to do your licence in the country you tend to work/fly in. Conversions to other countries are not as easy as just taken a couple of exams.

Like I said in other posts getting the right to work in other countries is not that easy either.

The only other option is to go to a well know school in florida and do the jaa cpl/atpl , which will entitle you to return to the UK with mininal fuss.

The easy part is getting the atpl/cpl getting a job with 105-155 hrs is the hardest thing.

No matter were you go UK, Australia, USA, getting that first job will be difficult no matter how smart you are, its your attitude that will be key.

Automan

Automan

Col
21st Sep 2004, 20:08
Hi Automan

Thanks for your input. I'm fairly clear as to the way ahead for the first part of training. The grey area was the ATPL(H). I've got a better understanding now of how it seems to work.

Training in the country I intend to live and work in possibly is not an option. Like you say, conversions are the 'easy' part, getting the job is the hard bit - and so it seems from the feedback of job opportunities in that country. You've gotta have a 1,000 hours and there seems to be only one sensible route to do that - via the school you mention and CFII after that...

It might not be ideal but it works and its a step on the ladder...