PDA

View Full Version : ICAO licence conversion in UK

eaglejet
16th Sep 2004, 04:47
Hi Folks,

I am planning on doing a JAA conversion of my FAA CPL/IR in UK.

I would like to have a few testimonies about some of you who did the conversion and the ATPL groundschool. I am looking of course for a good affordable school:O :O

Thanks

birdlady
16th Sep 2004, 11:49
Hi Eagle Jet

I have just fininshed training in South Africa which is an ICAO licence so I presume the rules are the same so will tell you what I was told by the CAA. First of all, the atp exams have to be written by distance or full time ground school. Bristol being the best for distance and if you want full time and can afford it Ive heard oxford is excellent. For the CPL, Im not too sure as I was told that you do the hours until your instructor says you are ready to test. Oxford can convert an ICAO multi Ir into a JAA Multi Ir for just over 3 000 pounds (check out their website) but you can be sure that extras will be added into this. Remember that the ICAO MULTI IR is only 40hrs whereas the JAA is 55hrs. It was also suggested to me that a lot of pilots struggle with the radio over there so I would suggest you get some radio tapes as they will definately help.
Hope this helps
BL
:= := :=

GusHoneybun
16th Sep 2004, 14:15
Just to echo a few of the points made by Birdlady.

To convert an ICAO IR to a JAA one, you will need a minimum of 15 hours instruction of which 5 hours can be in a FNPT1 or 10 hours in a FNPTII simulator. Included in this time should be a 170A, which is a dummy test where the school assess whether you are ready for test.

Don't forget to include in your budget to do a multi engine class rating. You will also need to have passed this before you can sit the IR

As said before, the CPL is hours as required, another 170A and to have passed the flight test. Personally, if you are current and proficient on instruments, I would convert the IR first then sit the CPL.

Oh, and don't forget the test fees for the CPL and IR in your budget as well. Currently weighing in at a whopping £637 each.

VIRGA
17th Sep 2004, 14:47
Bristol without a doubt.