PDA

View Full Version : MEIR at Sunair?

cubnut
15th Sep 2004, 23:14
Hiya, has anyone done the research into the Sunair Multi IFR training package? Whats the guts on it if you have. Is it ligit or some kind of scam? On the surface it looks interesting, but what about training in an Aztec? Is it an appropriate aircraft to do initial issue training in? I have done about 2/3rds of an IFR rating in a single so far provided I'm at least average ability, would I find it too much to carry on with in the Aztec at this stage?

Cheers ears!

NoseGear
16th Sep 2004, 03:48
Hi Cubnut, dont know all that much about Sunairs operation, there are some guys floating about the boards that used to fly there and can fill you in more on that. Personally, if it was me, I would be there like a shot out of a gun. If you get the chance to get your foot in the door with an all twin, all IFR operator, you would be mad to pass it up. As for the standard of training, I can't comment on that, but it would surely be the equal of any training organization, and at least you would get the chance of experiencing operational IFR on ATO's.

As for the mighty Aztec, you will love it, its a great twin and one of the few true 6 seat twins around, can load her up with people, bags and gas and go places. It will take a little getting used to certainly, the speed, inertia and systems, (I know:p ) as compared to the single you now fly.

Good luck mate
Nosey

AIRCAB
16th Sep 2004, 05:00
The Aztec is a fantastic machine to do it in. It flys happily on one engine and has heaps of grunt. Only issue with them is getting them down the ILS with those great big bloody wings that love to fly, so you'll find that you will need heaps of forward trim. When ZK-TDM was in OZ it had plenty of great gear in it too.

flying ginge
16th Sep 2004, 05:15
do a search for sunair in the D & G section cubnut. There's just been a whole lot of debate about it. Cher bro

Cloud Cutter
16th Sep 2004, 18:40
I think it has a lot going for it: good stable plane to learn in (at good rate I think), very experienced instructor, foot in the door. It is certainly legit.

This is pure speculation but I think they may be developing a pool of pilots from which to hire, although at the moment their tendancy is to take high time pilots not expecting to keep them too long.

If I was you I would go for it:ok:

skytops
20th Sep 2004, 03:58
Anyone know if they (Sunair) will do recurrent MEIFR training? And what they would charge per hour for the Aztec?

On another matter, anyone know of a Twin Comanche available in NZ for type rating and IFR training?

Thanks.

NoseGear
20th Sep 2004, 20:30
Skytops, Sunair are just a phone call away, why not just ask them directly.....

As for the Twin Comanche, try the Waikato aeroclub, last I heard they had one. Ring them too, cause I have no idea what they charge.

Have fun

Nosey

Cloud Cutter
20th Sep 2004, 23:37
Twin Comanche at WAC:
Dual: $345 (airswitch)
Solo: $320

skytops
4th Oct 2004, 17:13
Thanks NoseGear and Cloud Cutter!

Will indeed phone them as soon as I get the chance.