PDA

View Full Version : Fod

Sunfish
15th Sep 2004, 22:39
Foreign Object Damage and the removal of stuff that could become FOD is something that got drummed into even mugs like me at Ansett.

Whats the worst FOD that you guys have seen or heard about? I'm not sure if its apocryphal or not but the ones that come to mind were:

a) A Spoiler strut holder that was supposed to have gone into a TAA JT8D.

b) A bicycle into a B747 engine at Changi.

c) A container into an engine somewhere in the States.

One thing I can't get used to in GA - when I find a screw or nut or something on the tarmac, I (a) - pick it up (b) want to know where it came from! Am I the only person who does this? Nobody else seems to care!

No Further Requirements
15th Sep 2004, 23:38
One that almost happened to me was a 10 litre oil drum falling off a maintenance vehicle as it was vacating the runway. Fortunately they spotted that it had been left on the rwunway and informed the Ground controller.

"QANTAS 81, go around"
"QANTAS 81 going around"

Could have been a lot worse, for the engine at least.

Cheers,

NFR.

Desert Dingo
16th Sep 2004, 00:22
c)

http://www.cargolaw.com/images/LD3Lunch.GIF

Orville
16th Sep 2004, 02:33
I remember two donkeys going down the inlet of a 737 in Nauru, it wasn't a very pleasant job removing the engine afterwards.

gaunty
16th Sep 2004, 03:06
Sunfish

One thing I can't get used to in GA - when I find a screw or nut or something on the tarmac, I (a) - pick it up (b) want to know where it came from! Am I the only person who does this? Nobody else seems to care!
I'm with you, I'm not sure that unless you are aware of the consequences or had to write the cheques most don't.

It needs to be prominent in the training syllabus from the get go somewhere.

It might be dealt with in the "prop ding" bit, but I'm not sure even that is treated as the seriously as it should be.

And then there was the rivet/fastener that was jamming the bleed air solenoid open on the P3 side of it. Wasn't an engine (TPE331) bit, wasn't from the ducting, wasn't identifiable as being from anywhere ?? The only way it could have gotten there was through the engine. Past a near 40,000 rpm two stage centrifugal compressor, which normally throws stuff back out, guide vanes and all and into the bleed duct without jamming anything up, well except the valve of course.

Who k ows what the big fans eat on a daily basis. ? :E

At least Dings bit of fod was easily identifiable:ok:

Obiwan
16th Sep 2004, 03:08
Once on short finals at Hoxton when a dog ran out and took a cr@p on the runway. Went around and them made sure I landed a little further down the runway next time.

And no, I didn't pick up that FOD

compressor stall
16th Sep 2004, 04:28
That bit of the DC10 that got caught up in the concorde's tyres...

Desert Dingo
16th Sep 2004, 04:48
I remember two donkeys going down the inlet of a 737 in Nauru, it wasn't a very pleasant job removing the engine afterwards.
And I remember the joke going around about him having ASSymetric power :p

muddergoose
16th Sep 2004, 05:14
There are times I would like answers too but can't get them. It looks like you're not alone with your GA screw FOD.:E

socks
16th Sep 2004, 06:03
I don't know about you but every time I work on my car there is always a nut, bolt or screw left over. Aircraft must be the same.

Milt
16th Sep 2004, 06:39
More Dog Fod

"Taegu Dropkick Blue 1 at 5 miles, joining initial with 4."

"Dropkick Blue 1 Taegu orbit your present position, we have a dead dog on the runway".

"Dropkick Blue 1 orbiting, loose line astern go"..

4 pilots now pondering where else can we go, what with a wheels up aircaft yet to be cleared from the PSP runway. But a funny name for a gutzer. Fuel state?

Other sections now being told to orbit.

"Taegu, Dropkick Blue 1, we have 20 minutes, would you advise diversion."

"Dropkick Blue 1, Taegu, now clear to join initial with 4. You will be number 1 on the pitch, sorry for the hold, dead dog being picked up now.
Stupid thing was terminated by a landing aircraft. Advise 1 mile out."

"Dropkick Blue section reform echelon right go."

Anyone recall the US slang for a gutzer.

Arm out the window
16th Sep 2004, 09:07
No, but I clearly remember the ancient pommy video of 'Dr Fod and the Wayward Body' that was shown to us in the pre-politically correct days when I was on pilots course.
Miss Wayward Body was clambering over an engine at all kinds of revealing angles while Dr. Fod wandered around with his clipboard perving.

Ultralights
16th Sep 2004, 10:25
same, here, i have had Pick up FOD wherever you see it drummed into me at QF, and even flying from YHOX YCNK or any other, i wil always look out for stuff in front of my plane, (wodden props and ANY object dont mix)

but the worst i have seen is being called to repair an Inboard aft flap on a United B747 at YSSY some years ago, and removing a Conrod that was imbedded into the flap, from its position it looked like it was kicked up from the wing gear during the previos take off, or landing.

usually it was tyre rubber, or chunks of runway paint!

gaunty
16th Sep 2004, 10:28
So that's where that conrod went. :{ It sure is a small world then. ;)

Oh well we can close that file then. :cool:

Sunfish
16th Sep 2004, 10:36
I forgot I used to read Ansett Pilot Incident reports. The two that stick in my mind were:

1) F27 VH- ??? Fl ???? Hobart - Mel "On takeoff struck rabbit on runway with nosewheel - Mid Hare Collision"

2) B727 ??? To TSV I think (Or Cairns) "If you use approach plate for International DME, on approach Blah blah, but use Australian DME, you will impact exactly 284 metres below summit of Mt. ??????. Suggest approach plates for international and australian DME approaches be different colors".

Richo
16th Sep 2004, 11:59
I am with you SF, I just can't walk past a screw or wayward rock. But Iagree I do seem to be alone in doing so most of the time.

Remember once at PH on the 06 Hotel holding point, a C402 or similar lined up and wound up the power. All of a sudden the runway was covered in AIP and DAP pages blowing everywhere.
He stoped right there and with the assistance of every safety officer in sight spent an hour or two picking up nearly every page.

I Work downwind of the Q freight area at PH, reguarly picking up blowing paper and freight bags on the tarmac. I dont belive they (PH freight) care much.

Richo