PDA

View Full Version : swift at Yeovilton

coley chaos
15th Sep 2004, 21:30
Had a couple of hours off today so drove up to yeovilton and was greeted with lots of gentlemen with binoculars, and there at the end of the runway was the Swift ready to get airbourne. Off it went for 3/4 hour and landed safely back, seemed to be lots of hand shakes all around after by pilot? Anyone know if it was back in the air after a rebuid or new to them airframe? Whatever it was nice to see slipping round the sky.

Buc Driver
15th Sep 2004, 22:16
I think you are talking about the Seahawk, great news, roll on Saturday.

coley chaos
16th Sep 2004, 10:58
Thanks, always knew I was a crap spotter!! Whats happening on the Saturday?

gareth herts
16th Sep 2004, 11:05
Airshow at Yeovilton I believe.

G

Razor61
16th Sep 2004, 23:29
It was up again today around the airfield with a Jet Provost on its wing getting ready for the airshow and taking a few photos no doubt.
Pity the Firefly isnt still with us...

Razor

delta96
17th Sep 2004, 06:39
Did the Seahawk see any active - ie shot at - service? The only thing of note that I remember is some film of 'Winkle' Brown pancaking one onto a wet condom. Some kind of gear-up recovery wheeze, I think.

Bing
18th Sep 2004, 05:57
A lot of Seahwk squadrons were involoved in Suez, which must count as active service. As for the wheels up recovery onto a rubberized (sp?) deck, I thought that was a Vampire?

BEagle
19th Sep 2004, 07:28
The idea was to save weight back when early jets were somewhat short of thrust. I understand that arrested landings onto the rubberised deck were very uncomfortable - but it was movement of the aircraft around the deck afte landing which was the main problem. They couldn't just taxy forward and fold their wings!

blaireau
19th Sep 2004, 08:46
Yes it was a Vampire and the test observer was Stan Chissman.

delta96
20th Sep 2004, 07:12
JFZ90

Thanks for that history of the Seahawk, I'm pleased that such a beautiful A/C (IMHO) wasn't just a time-server!
And thanks to others who identified the rubber deck arrivee as a Vampire/Venom. It didn't seem likely to me, them having a plywood nose.