PDA

View Full Version : XV Squadron Victors 1958 - 1962

gareth herts
15th Sep 2004, 15:15
Hi Folks

Bit of a lurker here and always read with great interest in mil aviation as a failed and frustrated pilot!

Am posting here on behalf of my Dad who was an instrument tech on Victor B1's for XV Squadron from 58 - 62 at RAF Cottesmore and would love to know if anyone here was around in those days and has any memories to share.

Thanks for your time

Gareth S

Milt
16th Sep 2004, 07:31
Gareth

Ask your dad whether he remembers how the fuel proportioner worked on the B1 Victor.

The device proportioned the fuel take off from the tanks according to their capacity to preserve cg position.

Flew a bit in the Victor at Boscombe Down 56/57.

The Vulcan's device was a series of cams on a common shaft turning booster pumps on and off in proportion.

gareth herts
16th Sep 2004, 08:58
Hi Milt

Thanks for the reply. He's going to write a few thoughts and I'll post them here.

I know the great Jonnie Johndon was at Cott during this time - and Dad has wonderful pictures and many tales to tell - my favourite of which has always been regarding his trip in a Lightning on a flight test from Coltishall where one of the Victors had gone u/s.

I've been jealous of this ever since I can first remember him telling the story!

Gareth

gareth herts
16th Sep 2004, 10:56
A few thoughts from the 'old man'........

Gareth

The only memory I have of the fuel balancing system on the Victor was when the fuel Bowser was connected up to the aeroplane alongside the fuselage and just in front of the starboard intake, the Corporal or Senior Technician Engines was always to be found sitting in the 1st Pilots seat with this large drawer arrangement located between the two pilots instruments panels and above the step down to the prone nose position pulled out. On this were a fair number of Gauges and switches and as the fuel was pumped in they monitored it and by a switching sequence pumped it around the aircraft in its many storage tanks to achieve the correct Centre of Gravity for the overall weight of the aeroplane.

At Cottesmore in the Winter with a fierce North wind blowing, the Hard Standings on XV Squadron "A" Flight were incredibly bleak places to be. So whilst the aeroplane was being refuelled, the Engine guys were in the Cockpit with the access door closed, whilst the rest of us who formed the remaining Ground Crew, if not allowed to shelter in our Crew Room, were invariably huddled against the Radiator of the Mobile Power Generator trying to keep warm.

Happy days. I dont think !

Dad