PDA

View Full Version : xp not detecting IEEE-1094 card

Terrey
15th Sep 2004, 10:12
Hi all,

I put in a PCI IEEE-1394 card into my computer ( XP SP2 P4 2.4GHz) and re-booted. Nothing happened! It doesn't appear in the system resourses area, and it won't work. I pulled it out and tried it in another PCI slot and still nothing. Is it a dud card?

Thanks
:(

spannersatcx
15th Sep 2004, 11:29
What motherboard is it?

You say you installed it then rebooted, not being patronising, but you did install it with the pc shut down?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
15th Sep 2004, 13:37
Terrey,

As spannersatcx, my first concern was what the computer was turned off when you installed the PCI card, the PCI Slots are not Hot Plugable. I am worried you might have damaged the card and the motherboard itself.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. If the computer was off when you installed the PCI Card, did you check the card maker's website to see if there are WinXP Drivers for the card?

Terrey
15th Sep 2004, 20:36
Yep,

The computer was shutdown and I used an anti-static wrist strap.
Motherboard is GA-8SIMLH.
Checked the web site (www.dolphinfast.com) and they say no driver is req'd for windows xp. It is not even getting as far as looking for a driver. Its not detecting it.

Thanks

Naples Air Center, Inc.
16th Sep 2004, 01:55
Terrey,

I just read the manual for your mobo. Unfortunately they do not list which PCI Slots share IRQs with other devices. So it is hard to guess. I would try putting the FireWire card in the middle PCI Slot. If that does not work, you can try the other two.

Have you tried manually adding the Hardware Driver using Add Hardware in the Control Panel?

Right now the latest BIOS Revision for you mobo is F12, you can get it here:

BIOS of GA-8SIMLH (http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-8SIMLH.htm)

You could also download the latest SiS651 Mobo Drivers here:

Download Center (http://download.sis.com/)

Take Care,

Richard

Terrey
16th Sep 2004, 02:12
Thanks for your help Naples,

I have tried 2 of the PCI slots.
I have tried manually adding the hardware but no luck.
I will try the downloads you suggest.

Thanks for taking the time to investigate the problem.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
16th Sep 2004, 02:14
Terrey,

Always glad to help. I just hope we get to the bottom of the problem. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

Terrey
16th Sep 2004, 02:53
All fixed!

I decided to have another look inside the computer and it looked like the card wasn't all the way in. The metal part where the screw holds it to the case would not allow it in any further. After some small modification ;) it fitted in and was detected on start up.

Doh!!!

Thanks again Naples for your help.

Cheers from down under!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
16th Sep 2004, 05:02
Terrey,

That is great news. I am glad you solved the problem. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard