PDA

View Full Version : Licensing of HLO's

MaxNg
15th Sep 2004, 09:11
Every day there are a couple of thousand offshore landing's achieved throughout the world without incident or occurance, However there are days when a chain of events line up and errode our safety margins to a point where there was potential for a incident or even worse a accident.

My First officer and I had such a day recently when visiting the deck of a foreign rig for a crew change, the details are the subject of a ASR (Aviation Safety Report) and until concluded I will not disclose anything further. However, each oil company has it's own view on whats safe, and what is the best and safest way to preform a task. The North Sea has, I would contest probably the best safety record for offshore oil and gas production going, and when a Rig comes into this area of operation from a area with what I can only asume was one with far less awareness of safety and safety proceedures concerning aircraft, then what should have been a normal crew change had all the hallmarks for a accident.

I as commander of the aircraft I delegate certain responsibilities to other personel, people like engineers, refuelers, firefighting and loaders etc. all are checked and tested by a authority that maintains and improves standards in my case the UKCAA.

Therefore I would argue that when I land on a vessel where these proceedures are done on a very regular basis (i.e refueling/loading and firefighting) then shouldn't the HLO be licensed by the state that he/she operates in and that way ensure that the whole operation is done to the standard that can be checked and quantified against.

MaxNg

Old Man Rotor
15th Sep 2004, 11:37
I dont wish to sound to critical, as you have not provided all the information for an informed decision to be made.

However, if the "Foreign" platform was a concern...??....I would certainly have afforded that particularly platform a little extra "Attention", as we all know there are varying standards around the world.

I would assume that your problem occurred once you were on the deck?? If so, then yourself or your First Officer being out on the deck would be right there to assist in the "matter"??

I would think that if you were not happy with anything prior to landing....then you would not have landed.

I disagree with your statement.....The Commander of any aircraft can not delegate the "Responsiblity" for aircraft safety......he/she can only delegate the "Authority" to act on the Commanders behalf...he or she alone holds by law, the Responsibility.

Islander Jock
15th Sep 2004, 15:51
MaxNg,
Please check your PMs.

Regds

IJ

verticalflight
15th Sep 2004, 16:50
MaxNg,

You're right. BHAB is the entity responsible for checking that helideck is safe and personnel properly trained on any installation/vessel in UK waters, before helicopter operations are carried out.

In fact, according to the ANO (and JAR-OPS 3 these days) you as the commander are responsible to check the conditions of any landing site other than a licensed aerodrome you intend to use, but since this is not practicable to do in our type of operations, you discharge that responsibility on BHAB.

The fact that this incident happened simply shows that BHAB inspection regime failed somehow. Surely your SAR will end up on a BHAB desk!

Hummingfrog
15th Sep 2004, 17:02
Old Man Rotor

I think what MaxNg meant was that we accept an a/c signed as being "S" by a responsible engineer. The a/c is refuelled by a responsible refueller. Firecover is provided by responsible firecrew.

These "responsible" people are all checked by the CAA/BAA or other agencies controlled by the UK government. The a/c Captain has no influence on these people so has to assume they are doing their job.

His point is that when operating to a deck/rig you assume a certain level of expertise which is there with a UK deck crew .

I agree with him that any HLO working in the UK sector must have a valid UK qualification. With only one pair of eyes out of the cockpit it is essential you have an element of trust in the deck crew.

While checking the fuel sample on one semi I looked round to see the deck crew crawling under the tail with the fuel hose - this was a Dauphin!! A time out was called and the "foreign" deck crew were briefed on UK practises!!

HF

simfly
15th Sep 2004, 17:30
Any rig/boat going to be on contract for shell are audited by shell's own (bristow employed) inspector before the rig/boat comes on contract. Pretty sure that everything is inspected before helideck/crew etc are cleared. BHAB also inspect in same way.

Lochside
16th Sep 2004, 01:01
Ere we go! this is how it should be. All helidecks operating in the UKCS require to be issued with a landing area certificate from the BHAB, in accordance with CAP 437 et al. Helideck crews operating on the deck are required to be qualified and assessed as competent according to the standards laid out in the UKOOA document "Guidance for the Management of Offshore Helideck Operations" Section 13 para 3.2. (or suitable alternative) If the helicrews do not have or retain this competence then the Landing Area Certificate "Ceases to be valid" (see note three on certificate)

The BHAB do a great job but it's a bit like an MOT, your tyre could be illegal three weeks after the test! and if the helicrews are not trained and assessed as competent, then a full landing area certificate will not be issued. I sincerely hope that ASRs etc are raised by crews if they are unhappy about safety issues and you can be sure that they will be followed up. I don't work for the BHAB but retain close links!

Next time you see a guy in a yellow coat freezing his nuts off just off the helideck it's probably me training and assessing the helideck crews!!

Old Man Rotor
16th Sep 2004, 10:27
Ok...Point taken......OMR.