PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Ratty old epaulettes

18-Wheeler
15th Sep 2004, 00:32
I'm after a set - just one will do - of ratty old epaulettes. The stripe should be 1cm wide.

TIA.

Howard Hughes
15th Sep 2004, 09:50
We might need a little more info, how many stripes?

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

gravitysucks
15th Sep 2004, 14:24
Yo 18, truckies wearing stripes now?

Byjingo
17th Sep 2004, 10:22
Does this have anything to do with a Corolla,a ferret and a length of plastic tube ?????
I've got a coupla sets, you can take your pick next time your passing Oz, oh and a nice set of "Moisty Air" wings, if that rings any bells.:ok:

Lodown
17th Sep 2004, 13:47
All my epaulettes are in good condition. Shame the same can't be said about the ratty old pilot who wore them occasionally.

josephshankes
18th Sep 2004, 17:18
Ah! I think I'm with ya.

Be it 2, 3 or 4 stripes, if the ink is only just dry on the training certificates etc., and the stripes are looking embarrassingly new, then just "soil" them yourself, to make them look old.

Why not give them to the dog, or kick them around the garden for a bit. That should put a few thousand hours on them. What!
:}

air-hag
19th Sep 2004, 10:29
Congratulations on your ability to correctly spell the word, "epaulette". This puts you in the top 3% of the pilot body without even considering flying skill.

You lost points, however, for incorrectly referring to the braid as a "stripe".

A "stripe" is what a corporal (for example) wears on his sleeve. What a pilot wears on his shoulder is called a BAR. Always was, always will be. We need distinctions like these in order to seperate us rom the "oily" classes, you see, like the mechanics whom I notice have begun wearing a gold bar or two in an obvious attempt to be mistaken, at a distance, for one of Us.

For instant age, you can't beat leaving your "fruit" out in the sun for a day or two. Maybe the back shelf of your car so others will see them and know what you are!! :ok: Leave them in the rain once or twice too.

18-Wheeler
19th Sep 2004, 12:36
Yeah, I are a goodly speeler. :)

I abase myself for striping, and I shall now instead bar up instead. :)

Yes, it's to save the embarassment of having to wear new bars on my pending promotion. The three-bar ones I use now I've had since J'tCraft gave them to me in mid 1995, and I've used them ever since. Hence, they are a fairly well-used set and I am most reluctant to part with them, if only for sentimental reasons.
But the other reason is that the people that I work for, the ones that come from that small island up north, really don't like them.
That's good enough for me.

Here they are in all their disgusting glory.

http://www.billzilla.org/forumpics/epaulettes.jpg

It was commented to me by someone that they were looking rather grubby, so I thought it best to prove them wrong by licking one to show they weren't really that bad or in fact dangerous - BIG mistake !! - I really did feel sick for about fifteen minutes after that.
So no more tasting of uniform fruit for me ....

So can anyone help me?
I'm in need of an equally disgusting bar to match the others.

I doubt very much that a few days in the sun/dog/being kicked around will faithfully reproduce the look of confidence the current ones give.

air-hag
19th Sep 2004, 13:20
Simple.

Print that pic to scale on sturdy photo paper, cut out two of the BARS and sew one onto each set of your old, pre-loved rank slides.

Instant crust. :ok:

Didn't know JC operated 18wheelers. Or are you working somewhere where RATty slides are common?

By the way, is that an Ikea desk I see??? You don't want TOO much of that in ya house.... :yuk:

Hahn
19th Sep 2004, 16:39
Hey 18 wheeler - give them a ride in the washing mashine, that is like 1000 hours in the air, at least to the fabric!

josephshankes
19th Sep 2004, 17:12
18-Wheeler

I say, those bars do look a bit ropey old boy. Best not to let the dog eat and digest them.

tall and tasty
19th Sep 2004, 19:31
Hi 18 Wheeler

may have a pair very soon if you need the both 3 and 4 bars take your pick

Tall and Tasty

Sqwark2000
19th Sep 2004, 20:09
You lost points, however, for incorrectly referring to the braid as a "stripe" . A "stripe" is what a corporal (for example) wears on his sleeve.

Points off for Air-Hag

The stripe you refer to that a Non-commissioned officer of the Army or Air force might wear on their sleeve is in fact called a "chevron"

No point being a post-Nazi if you are not going to be a good one.

air-hag
19th Sep 2004, 20:24
That chevron is colloquially referred to as a "stripe". I don't see anyonoe calling the gold pilots' braid a chevron, do you??? :confused: :rolleyes:

No point being a post-Nazi if you are not going to be a good one.

janesays
19th Sep 2004, 22:40
No No Air Hag, Sqk2G is correct,
Your example was a corporal, a non commisioned officer, their chevrons are never refferred to as stripes because they are chevrons, not stripes.
Stripes are straight lines on the shoulder or hoops on the sleeves, a chevron is two lines meeting at an oblique angle and meant to represent an arrow head type formation of attacking infantry soldiers from times long passed.They are the same on the sleeve and on the shoulder.
All the best,
Janesays

Air Ace
20th Sep 2004, 03:09
How would air-slag ever know?

She retired off Avro Tudors in 1948 when the trolley dolley compulsory retirement age was 30. Closest she’s been to a real aeroplane in the past 50 years is from the airport fence.

Mind you, she may know a bit about military NCO’s. She’s probably done a round or two for a pound or two, with a few crusty old military retirees and Chelsea Pensioners………. :yuk: :yuk:

air-hag
20th Sep 2004, 03:38
Okay poindexter then where does the saying "Earn one's stripes" come from, then? Hey?? :confused:

They are never referred to as "stripes"? Except when people refer to them as "stripes".....

I rest my case.

Furthermore, how can anyone ever trust anything that a Hobbit from Hobbiton says? You're lucky to have anyone around to even wear a stripe or pip after what your own commie PM (http://www.tolkienwinkel.nl/81006.jpg) did to them, not to mention our airline. :hmm:

Kiwi air force. (http://www.flyingscot.f9.co.uk/images/Woopy/WING_Inflated_WoopyFly_Aerial_n17_2001_03_p44.jpg) Did you know elves could fly?

Go shave ya feet........ :eek:

Air Ace
20th Sep 2004, 04:19
air-fag. You sure that link (http://www.tolkienwinkel.nl/81006.jpg) isn't from your own family album? :yuk:

air-hag
20th Sep 2004, 05:15
Hey speaking of links.......

Take a look at this (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=stripe) and click on "stripe [3,noun]". Something about stripes and CHEVRONS???

Or try this.....I think it mentions "chevron"????? (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=stripe)

Or even this reference (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=78982&dict=CALD) to "stripes" and "sergeants". I believe a Sgt is an NCO??? Janus???

You see I'm a pilot, I hardly ever work. I have nothing better to do than surf the web for puerile-ities.

HAHAHAHAHAAAA...!!!!!!!!

In your face, AIR FACE!!!

*Hag struts out in triumph.......*

PS TnT I didn't notice you in here..... Where, pray tell, will you be acquiring your sets of gold bars from???

Woomera
20th Sep 2004, 05:32
Idiot pills are obviously now included in the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme in Tasmania!

You see I'm a pilot... (http://www.straightdope.com/art/1999/990903.gif)

:}

Woomera

air-hag
20th Sep 2004, 05:40
HAHAHAAAHAAAAA....!!! But vilification will never change the fact that I'm right!!!

But I like the pic. It does bear a certain resemblance...

Looks like you've got as much time on your hands as i do.

gaunty
20th Sep 2004, 08:26
What's all thi stripe all about then, when I were a lad me mum used to serve it up with white sauce and onions. :rolleyes:

Haven't had the stomach for it since:{ boom boom.

tall and tasty
20th Sep 2004, 19:08
Air hag

probably form a pilot who will loose his very soon!

Tnt

air-hag
20th Sep 2004, 19:57
Lose his what exactly.........???

I couldn't sleep.

tall and tasty
20th Sep 2004, 20:18
Let me spell it out for yo

HIS STRIPES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

air-hag
20th Sep 2004, 20:30
ok ok stop shouting....... :ooh:

Do you mean his BARS?

His bars, yes, lose them... but WHY???

tall and tasty
20th Sep 2004, 20:35
Well Air hag

Thnik about CRM and attitudes on the line!!

Sink in yet?

Or does it need to be spelt out in plainer english

air-hag
20th Sep 2004, 20:38
Cause Related Marketing?

I don't get it. Yes plainer please.

Are you referring to MY gold bars??

You sound SEXY when you're angry...!!! GrrrrrRRRRRRWW!!!!

tall and tasty
20th Sep 2004, 20:41
Lost cause!!!

perhaps the original issue needs to me re addressed!!

air-hag
20th Sep 2004, 20:43
Don't give up on me, you're all I've got around here, the rest HATE me. :{

:zzz:

Woomera
20th Sep 2004, 23:11
............. understandably........... :yuk:

I'll be glad when school holidays are over and the children go back to school.

Woomera

robroy
21st Sep 2004, 06:14
air dragon,

do us all a favour and

P ONE S S O F F

robroy

josephshankes
21st Sep 2004, 06:44
Why are some ppruners so nasty to airhag?

I get rather turned on, just reading some of her posts. (I love to be domineered)

I would like to know what see looks like, before I commit myself.

Have you a photo, we can all drawl over airhag??

Woomera
21st Sep 2004, 06:59
Hmmm. IMG function isn't working.......... :(

Family Photo. (http://img59.exs.cx/img59/7855/air-hag.jpg)

Taken at a very recent family celebration of some importance........ :}

josephshankes
21st Sep 2004, 08:27
OH, oh, oh dear, oh dear.

Ignore my previous post.

Now, I'm not one to be choosy but even I have some standards.

Airhag, you scare me!:(

sexjet69
21st Sep 2004, 20:30
Hey air hag

You sound like a challenge in all areas!!!!!!!!

sexjet69

:) :ok:

--x--x-O-x--x--
24th Sep 2004, 06:10
you're all I've got around here, the rest HATE me.
You flatter yourself, air-hag. You are a matter of complete indifference to most of us.

Kaptin M
24th Sep 2004, 07:36
Don't be too rough on poor air hag (or is it air drag?), she doesn't look too bad from some angles - air hag polishing the rocket (http://www.geocities.com/jaccountinfo/Sister.jpg), but from others...well...beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Smile for the camera, air hag (http://www.wendywillcox.50megs.com/me.jpg)

BrownHolerPoler
24th Sep 2004, 13:41
Well the second one is more like it KM. How would I know? Because air-hag is my bitch. I found the hag when I was flying in one of those clapped-out regionals.

The hag has friends in high places. Obviously hag went too far recently and has been banned. :{ We'll see what we can do but i reckon the hag will be back.

Shame as hag had a nice little tally of posts going. Oh well..... nothing lasts forever.

18-Wheeler
25th Sep 2004, 08:26
Fixed ...........

sexjet69
27th Sep 2004, 19:17
Excuse me for being "green around the gills" and no disrespect in this posting

But I thought MOD's were supposed to be non bias in their postings and there are some very big digs at a certain person on this forum for his witty comments to the situation

Where is your sense of humour ?

;)

sexjet69