PDA

View Full Version : Night flights at CVT v EMA

jabird
14th Sep 2004, 19:36
Of all the complaints against CVT, the one of the most significant has been the operation of passenger flights through the night.

Whilst I understand that the airport currently has no restrictions on flying at any time, nor does NEMA, yet NEMA starts winding down by 19:30, with the latest departure to DUB at 22:05.

I know NEMA handles 747s through the night, which must be noisier than anything at Coventry, but why such a difference in passenger flights at the two airports?

Is it due to slots in the destinations, as TOM are a relatively new entrant on the scene, were they only able to get late slots, or are there other reasons?

Flip Flop Flyer
14th Sep 2004, 23:04
NEMA? Wtf is NEMA? Have they gone and changed the name again? If you mean EMA, or Castle Donnington as it one was, then the blokes at DHL would be mighty disappointed by your statement that it winds down at 19:30 and a few 75 and A300 jockeys might well take issue with the 74 being the only player.

FYI, DHL has roughly 800 movements/month at EMA, virtually all of which at night.

jabird
14th Sep 2004, 23:18
Flip Flop,

The N is for Nottingham, yes I do mean EMA / NEMA. My reference was to passenger flights, I am well aware of the freight flights, and was referring to the 747 as an example of a plane which must produce a fair amount of noise disturbance.

My question was why are there no night time passenger flights at EMA, when there are at CVT - is it down to slots, commercial considerations, demand, or some form of local restriction (which I didn't think EMA had).

Groundloop
15th Sep 2004, 08:19
ThompsonFly is a "low-cost" operation which requires high aircraft utilisation. Therefore requires night flying to achieve this.

jabird
15th Sep 2004, 09:39
Groundloop,

Yes, but so are Easy, Ryanair and baby at EMA and countless other airports across the country. They all went to get the best use out of their equipment, but how many of the others operate through the night - surely not that many? Is it because they can't, or because they don't want to - CVT & EMA can't be the only airports with next to no restrictions.

small4
15th Sep 2004, 10:25
I seem to remember that 'GO' scheduled night flights for one year.

They found that the problems caused by limited down time to service aircraft, relatively low yeilds and costs incurred with subsequent delays made the operation uneconomic.

Looking at the Thomsonfly website seems to indicate that the night flights out of CVT are limited to weekends during the summer season only.

I would expect that the data they have collected during this period will affect future scheduling.

GRAHAM
15th Sep 2004, 11:05
NEMA winding down after 1930? BLX! Scheduled PAX alone this summer has seen around 250 movements per week between 1930 and 0600 local. The scheduled PAX arrivals actually step-up after 1930, up to 2330, Saturdays excepted. There has been a steady overlap of coach drivers into the night-time HGV and van-driving territory - OK some of the PAX are actually positionings but they still count.

niknak
15th Sep 2004, 18:14
One thing the anti airport tossers in Warwickshire have overlooked in their campaign to put CVT out of business is the fact that, because night flights have been the norm for so long at CVT, they won't be able to refuse any future planning application to carry it on - if any application is necessary.
I've no doubt that Uncle Bill will have latched on to this fact.

As for B747s at EMA being noisier than other freight aircraft - I can think of a long list of aircraft that exceed ICAO noise regulations.