PDA

View Full Version : SIA cargo pay

ATIS
14th Sep 2004, 18:21
Been thinking about applying to SIAcargo. I seem to recall few months ago when the advert came out, that there may have been a mis print with the salaries. Looking at the web site, the values are given in S$. Is this the correct value or was it supposed to be US$ in the advert.

I would be very grateful if any expats could tell me on average how much you take home after tax in S$. And also how you are liking SIA cargo. Flying a 747 would be great, and living in Singapore well thats a bonus too. Is it worth giving up a job in UK to move to warmer climates.

All comments will be gratefully received

millerscourt
14th Sep 2004, 20:25
ATIS

Singapore Cargo is based in Singapore and surprise surprise Salary is Singapore Dollars. Have you looked at the exchange rate for £Stg or Euro against Singapore Dollar.That alone should put you off.

Is it worth leaving a job to join you ask. Well that depends what job you are leaving and whether you would join as F/O or Captain. If as an F/O just ask yourself will I get an Upgrade. Answer probably not so with 5 years and 4 months as an F/O What use is a B744 Rating worth then, Answer probably nothing.

Tax on first $160,000 Salary is $16600, doubt if you will be in next tax band of 19%!!

Don,t think that flying a B744 is the B all in life. It is becoming the next Dinosaur:ok:

ATIS
14th Sep 2004, 20:36
That is exactly why I asked the question. I converted those S$ salaries to British £, and nearly choked on my Mars bar.

I know that I have to take into account that its Asia, but that salary is ridiculous. And with the cost of living in Singapore bound to be high, I think I will have to give it a miss.
I was expecting a lot more from such a major player as Singapore airlines.

Ohh well back to multi sector days then

millerscourt
14th Sep 2004, 20:45
ATIS We were all expecting more from a major Airline such as SQ,

It was OK until about 2 years ago and it all went downhill as exchange rate has worsened. It was $2.3 to £Stg when i joined and now it is around $3.05 and did go to $3.15 a few weeks ago!!

Also everytime there is a glitch around the world whether it is smog in Indonesia. SE Asia currency crisis,SARs,9/!! Bird Flu , you name it SQ use that as an excuse to lower salaries

Jobs with SQ are aimed at those from third world countries where the once mighty Singapore Dollar stills buys them a decent retirement.

happydriver
15th Sep 2004, 10:22
Guys....a friend was just offered a job with sincargo and i must say after going through the T and C's its just not worthi it if your coming from abroad...even a third world country...its not just the pay but its also how they treat their pilots in general....but good luck to anyone thinking of joining....if your an optimist htings can on get better...they sure cant offer you any worse:E :E .

15th Sep 2004, 16:20
Dear ATIS.

WHy not join SQ-cargo and find out why they pay so low.

At least you qualify to 'bitch' about this Co for the next 3-4 years.

Look on the bright side, at least you've been to the far-east and
tasted the bad, bitter life here...... after 3- 5 years.

oso, you'll have the luxury of ASIAN gals to cheer up the
lousy and diminishing Co.. life.

So, in the end... it not that bad in SQ-cargo.. once you've
started 'bitchin' and 'cursing' about the Co.

moral of the decades here is... Co don't pay good money.
All it needs is a bunch of inexperienced but qualified pilots to
fly.

Co always hope the next T.off / landing dosen't make a headline
anytime soon.

:ok:

Dibble&Grub
15th Sep 2004, 21:22
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/imagegallery/store/phpXD5iNS.jpg

The Real Boss of SIA Speaks again :

SINGAPORE: Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew has expressed relief that the Air Line Pilots Association Singapore (Alpa-S) has achieved in-principle agreement over its wage reforms with Singapore Airlines.

In a letter to union president Mok Hin Choon, Mr Lee said he hopes the two parties will continue to have open consultations and negotiations and build up confidence in each other's good faith.

Minister Mentor Lee reminded the union that this is only the beginning of what will be a series of adjustments that SIA workers, including the pilots, will have to make in order for SIA to remain competitive.

He also called on the union to abide by the National Wages Council (NWC)recommendations and follow the precedents in agreements reached by other unions.

By not being affiliated to the NTUC, Mr Lee said, Alpa-S suffers from a disconnect to the rest of Singapore.

He pointed out that because pilots travel widely, they interact with airline pilots of major countries.

And this can sub-consciously lead them to assume that they should be similarly treated.

Mr Lee stressed that this is not sustainable in the Singapore context.

On the part of SIA, Mr Lee said the company must pay competitive wages to attract good pilots and other staff.

But it should not set benchmarks mechanically without regard to Singapore's special limitations.

Mr Lee also called on SIA to loosen work rules so that pilots can be scheduled to fly more and earn more.

Also brought up - the need to move away from setting fixed rates in three-year Collective Agreements.

Mr Lee said SIA needs to remove all uncompetitive rigidities, many of which are the result of past collective agreements.

Channel News Asia Link (http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/106794/1/.html)