PDA

View Full Version : 1 gig SD card inop on laptop

jtr
14th Sep 2004, 14:21
I just bought an O2 XDA II, and a 1 gig SD card for it. I put the card in my SD slot on the laptop to transfer some tunes onto it, and it doesn't show on MY COMPUTER.

I have not yet put the SD card in the XDA to check it, as it is still on its initial charge cycle.

Anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks

"Edit"

Just realised I can put the card in the top of the unit. It shows up on the device

Naples Air Center, Inc.
14th Sep 2004, 14:43
jtr,

Are you on a network? Some times you can end up with overlapping drive letters between Mapped Network Drives and the Flash Memory Slots.

Take Care,

Richard

jtr
14th Sep 2004, 14:48
thanks for the swift reply.

I am on a wireless network, if that makes any difference.

The slot for my card is compatible with Sony sticks, MMC, and SD (though this is the first time I have used an SD card in it)

Have had no problems with Sony or MMC cards before.

The drive "exists" on MY COMPUTER.

??

ORAC
14th Sep 2004, 15:10
Is it formatted?

mikedurward
14th Sep 2004, 15:17
Some memory card readers have a limit to the size of card they will read :sad:

jtr
14th Sep 2004, 16:10
I assume it is formatted, as it works ok in the XDA.

Is there any way to find what the limit is on the device reader? I have an NEC Versa E660, and the reader is built in. Looked in device manager, but nothing jumped out at me as being info for the reader.

The USB connection works ok to transfer the data, but I was trying to see if it was quicker via PC

Naples Air Center, Inc.
15th Sep 2004, 03:27
jtr,

Do you have any Mapped Network Drives on your computer?

Also have you tried another card in the reader as a test to make sure it works?

Take Care,

Richard

jtr
15th Sep 2004, 05:57
I dont have any mapped networks that I am aware of. I know the reader works ok with other (smaller) SD cards, as I have used it for that purpose.

Its no big deal, as it can still transfer the data via usb.

Think I will forget about it, and move on to how I view pdf files in landscape mode ( and still be able to read them)

Thanks again for the help

Nightrider
15th Sep 2004, 09:36
as mikedurward already mentioned: Some memory card readers have a limit to the size of card they will read

I had the same problem and a 1GB is for most units simply too much.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
15th Sep 2004, 13:28
jtr,

Since the reader works with other cards, it sounds like it is the size limit of the reader itself that is the problem.

Take Care,

Richard