PDA

View Full Version : Driving in the US

BigGrecian
14th Sep 2004, 12:58
I am looking at going to the US to complete part of my Flying Training. However, being currently under 20, I was wondering what the chances of me driving out there are. I appreciate you have to be 21 to hire a car, but was wondering whether it is possible to take the US test out there, therefore being able to drive/buy a cheap $500 car?

Long Beach CFII
14th Sep 2004, 17:04
Depending on how long you plan to stay in the US, it would be better to buy a cheap car. Things work a little differently here than in the UK.
You could get a good car for around $2000, however a $500 car wouldn't be a good investment - as it may not pass a smog test.

You need proof of insurance prior to being able to register the car, and you need a 'smog check' - usually paid for by the seller. You need a Driver's Licence prior to being able to insure the car. No matter if you have a Visa - M1, or J1 - or a Visa Waiver (good for 3 months - tourist) -you need to find out where the local Social Security Administration Office is.

At the SSA office, you need to have them print a letter to show that you are not entitled to a US Social Security Number (SSN). Keep this letter, as most states require an SSN to issue a driver's license.

Then you need to find out where your local State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is. You take a silly little written test - based on that states Driver's Handbook - after filling out an application for a driver's license, may get fingerprinted (thumbprint) have a mug shot taken, then get given a piece of paper saying you can learn to drive. Drive with a native for a while until you feel comfortable, then take the test to have your restrictions lifted. This temporary license will expire after a set number of days, so prior to that expiring you need to go back to the DMV and have it reissued.

It may take several months before a hard copy of a Driver's License gets to you. Basically they run a series of checks, with Immigration etc. to make sure you are not there illegally.

Have fun