PDA

View Full Version : Do Navigators And Observers Need 20/20 Vision?

P51 mustang
14th Sep 2004, 12:38
Do I need to have perfect eye sight to make it as a navigator or observer?

BigGrecian
14th Sep 2004, 12:42
Not sure of the exact standard. I know the initial standard is higher than the check every year. If you wear glasses you won't pass. Laser Eye Surgery definite No No! It is lower than Pilot though as I have a collegue who passed aptitude but was send Nav because his eye sight wasn't good enough.

airborne_artist
14th Sep 2004, 13:42
P51

Look at my post in response to your other question - suggest you go to yr optician and ask him/her how you score.

Anton Meyer
14th Sep 2004, 15:44
Or you could get in contact with the Department of Optometry at Cranditz and establish what standard of eyesight you require and also what aids you can use to correct defects.

Ring on 01400 266787 or, using the network, 95751 6787 :sad:

Pontius Navigator
14th Sep 2004, 22:43
Sod the standards, what you really need is to be able to see. Can you see small things close too and small things, like fighters, 5 miles away.

Yes fast-jet navs do wear glasses but they get bloody heavy under 5 g.

If you can't see out then you will get roasted. Biggles will not like flying with a blind bat.

allan907
15th Sep 2004, 12:01
For most of the time navigators are, at best, able to tell you roughly in which direction you should be going and the time that you will arrive at a certain point. This has to be because no-one can see into the future with that degree of certainty.

However, a navigator CAN tell you with complete accuracy where you have been and the time that you were at that point. This is called hindsight. And as we all know hindsight is 20/20. This was even more important in the V Force where all navigators faced in the direction from whence they came.

Therefore, perfect 20/20 rearward vision is a vitally important commodity for a navigator/observer (aka "ballast")

Pontius Navigator
15th Sep 2004, 18:54
Allan907, watch it.

Pilots may be able to SEE where they are going but they don't know WHERE it is or even how to get there if it is not in a straight line.

Mind you it was a Bucc Nav who penetrated the Ecofisk HPZ with the famous after statement. "What HPZ?" I don't think he even knew he had gone through it so good was the Bucc nav kit.

allan907
16th Sep 2004, 08:52
Pontius With that clarity of insight, foresight, hindsight and building site I don't suppose you could see your way to lend me a quid could you??

supert300
17th Sep 2004, 14:38
If you go to your local Royal Navy careers office and pick up an officer information form (OIF) it should have an optician's report on it. Take it to your local optician who will conduct an eye test and see what standard your eysight is and convert into the the Navy eysight standards, S1, S2, & S3 you must be S1 for Pilot or Observer in the RN. The eyesight standards are also slightly differnt from the standard in the RAF.

Hope this helps. If you want anymore advice feel free to PM me.