PDA

View Full Version : A-Level Jam i just dont know, help!

foxsports
14th Sep 2004, 10:49
Hi i am on my second day back at college having to decide my subjects i have options but i dont know which ones to take, my AS results are as follows i am now about to commence my second year.

Maths D
Physics E
Geography B
EU Studies D
Spanish GCSE B

My GCSES were 6 A's and 3 B's

I know have the following options an i would much appreciate some advice on which one to take, i really want to be and Airline Pilot, i have flown solo and have 1/2 hours to PPL. I do not intend going to university, private tuition is possible to help with my maths and physics. i find maths and physics difficult but am willing to but the effort in, by doing less subjects i would have more time free. I have 6 blocks with slots for lessons each lesson takes up a block is i do three lessons i have 3 bocks full 3 blocks spare for revision and help, each block consists of 3 1hr 20min lessons.

Option 1

Maths A2 Physics A2 Geography A2 Spanish AS

Option 2

Maths A2 Physics A2 Geography A2

Option 3

Futher Maths AS (plus retakes in Maths AS) Physics A2 Geography A2 Spanish AS

Option 4

(Retakes in Maths AS) Science For Public Understanding AS Physics A2 Geography A2 Spanish AS

Option 5
Any combination you can think of that would give me the best chance for airlines. and oxford app and other such courses

some questions that appear for me are, is a language important, at AS or on a linguaphone course, or no other language abilities at all. Is it imortant to do many, or just 2-3 well (a-levels) si Science for Public Understanding a worth less drop out subject. Should i ditch Science for PU and Spanish and concentrate on the 3 Full a levels maths physics geography

Thankyou Sooo Much for your time, much apreciated. Thankyou.

jollypilot
14th Sep 2004, 11:42
Do what you enjoy and are good at - dont try and second-guess what you think looks good or might be useful.

You obviously have a base knowledge of Maths and Physics - which is more than adequate for ATPLs assuming you put the time in. Far more important to enjoy yourself and get good grades!

JP

G-SEXY
15th Sep 2004, 10:43
I completed my a-levels last year in Maths, Physics, Art & General Studies with an AS in Design & Technology.

I took Maths and Physics because I felt it would help me a great deal in the future with respect to flying and I did find the courses interesting. I chose the others because I really enjoyed those subjects!!

Don't worry to much about what other subjects you do! Take jollypilots advice and pick whatever you are good at and what you enjoy!!!!

Good luck! :ok:

ikea
15th Sep 2004, 17:17
do what you think you are best at-although airlines do apparently like Maths/Sciences, they will look more favourable on a grade A in Spanish, than a Grade E in Maths-so stick with what you are good at; I did, and although I did Geog, English and IT, I got grades ABC. remember you also need a minimum of CC to work for airlines usually (those who list their a-level requirements)