PDA

View Full Version : Warbird flying

MackMeeter
14th Sep 2004, 10:40
Hello All,

Out of all the forums this seems to be the most likely one to answer my simple questions, but forgive me if I'm a tad wide of the mark by being here.....

How do you get to fly the warbird aircraft, or any other classic type for that matter?

I've been a classic aircraft anorak for years and I've always been embarrassed to ask anybody I see in museums which have airworthy examples.

I'm a commercial pilot flying turbo-props, but quite low down on the greasy career pole - however I'm curious to know if:

a) I ever have a chance of flying these beautiful aircraft.

b) If so, what I need to do to get there.

Having spent the last few years getting my career on track, I'd like to be able to enjoy myself and have some fun, without the pressures of the job.

I've got a sneaky suspicion that only ex-service pilots get to have all the fun (no change there then). This I can appreciate with the fast jets but what about the rest?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Cheers

MM :ok:

JDK
16th Sep 2004, 15:07
Last first.

There's quite a few pilots of (British) warbirds who don't have military experiencce. High discipline flying (aerobatics etc) does seem to be a feature, and organisations like Shuttleworth are VERY selective.

However, a general question when you are wandering about places like DX might seem crashing, but usually gets a useful answer! Just don't ask THEM for a job, keep it general.

Lending a hand with the tough and boring hands on work is also useful with these organisations, pilots who muck in are much more popular.

Hope this helps,
Cheers

MLS-12D
16th Sep 2004, 15:54
You might want to review this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90170&highlight=warbird).

If you have a commercial license and significant current experience on turboprops, then you likely have the basic aptitude and your chances of flying warbirds are reasonably good. The other required elements in the equation are:

(1) money (unfortunately, it is a sine qua non);

(2) time (not just for training, but to muck in and help out around the airfield, as required);

(3) enthusiasm (not really difficult to muster, since we're talking about flying some great machines, and you'll be dealing with some wonderful people); and

(4) aircraft availability.

The first three are competely within your control. The fourth is a bit more tricky, but opportunities are out there; you just have to keep your eyes and ears open, and be friendly without being pushy. This thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136852&highlight=warbird) might may be helpful, and see also here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42285&highlight=warbird).

I hope that this helps! ;)

Zlin526
16th Sep 2004, 21:27
If you have a commercial license and significant current experience on turboprops,

In the UK, this is not so.... There are lots of guys flying big interesting warbirds in the UK display industry who have PPLs, and turboprop experience is not at all relevant if you are flying behind a big round engine that runs on oil and uses fuel to cool the cylinders! Turbines are easy - If it starts without overtemping, it will mostly continue running! Starting a hot Merlin is a real skill!!

Heres a clue:

1. Fly and be current on lots of vintage types, and be exceptionally good at several disciplines, such as low level aerobatics, formation flying. Have a Display Authorisation on several types. Get your face known and build a reputation as a good pair of hands..Military pilots don't necessarily get all the flying, especially these days...
2. Have lots of tailwheel time (not many nosewheel warbirds.....), again on various types
3. Start at the bottom and work up. Tiger Moth, Chipmunk, Harvard, Spitfire etc etc. This is not something that happens overnight (unless it's your own warbird!)
4. Forget places like Shuttleworth unless you are a Test Pilot.
5. Insurance requirements will usually dictate who gets to fly these aeroplanes.
6. Wait to be asked...........:ok:

Oh, and by the way, there's already a big queue........:E

fernytickles
17th Sep 2004, 00:15
How far are you from Breighton? Tho' its not a guaranteed method, a willingness to help out at somewhere like that can get you closer to your goal, you just have to have patience.

MLS-12D
17th Sep 2004, 19:07
There are lots of guys flying big interesting warbirds in the UK display industry who have PPLs, and turboprop experience is not at all relevant if you are flying behind a big round engine that runs on oil and uses fuel to cool the cylinders!Yes, agreed. But I believe that a pilot with significant experience on turboprop airliners has an advantage over weekend PPLs, since (1) rightly or wrongly, such experience impresses people, including insurers, and (2) experience of heavy, relatively fast airplanes is generally helpful when it comes to converting to most warbirds.

Zlin526
18th Sep 2004, 09:01
MLS-12,

Not sure I agree. Despite what people will make you believe, a turbine/turboprop or turbojet engine is fairly easy to operate. Large Piston aren't quite so easy..Less automatics and so on.

rightly or wrongly, such experience impresses people, including insurers,

Again, I dont agree, and It wouldnt impress me much -I'd much rather have a pilot known for his piston engined handling skills than a turboprop or jet airline guy (many of their 1000's of hours spent drinking coffee on the flight deck whilst the aircraft does its own thing on autopilot:ok: ) , and in the UK at least, I believe the insurers would much rather insure an aircraft if a pilot who had 1000's of hours on similar types was flying.

MLS-12D
18th Sep 2004, 11:39
I don't have any experience of turbo engines (http://www.rolls-royce.com/education/schools/journey/flash.html), so I'll take your word for it that piston engines are usually more complex to operate.

In any case, my point was not that someone with 10,000 autopilot hours in 767s or whatever is going to be able to hop into a Corsair with only a brief conversion process; just that MackMeeter will probably get a better reception than a PPL with 150 hours in Cessnas. I was simply trying to encourage him ... I didn't say that he needn't bother obtaining tailwheel experience, or anything like that. :hmm:

I think that five of your six points are good, but not the last one. Pushiness or arrogance will obviously be counterproductive, but anyone who "waits to be asked" will be waiting until they are too old to pass a medical examination. If MackMeeter is to have any chance of flying classic airplanes, he must quietly make his ambition known, so that he comes to mind when there is an opening. There is plenty of competition, and shrinking violets and wallflowers will get nowhere.