PDA

View Full Version : lots of questions and answers hard to come by

R T Jones
13th Sep 2004, 22:21
Since I got my GCSE results in August, I have really thought of how i can accomplish my dream of being an airline pilot. There seems to be only a few routes and unless you splash out £60,000 you have to be the best of the best to get on these sponsorship schemes. The infomation on each of the websites is good but doesnt cover all the questions i have of them. So hopefully you guys can answer them. Also about aptitude tests, should they be taken at a certian age or do the results change as you get older? So here goes.

1.)Is it worth paying £150 to take an apptitude test at http://www.gapan.org/career/aptitude.htm . I simply want to know if i have what it takes to be an airline pilot. Im currently 16 so is it worth me taking one now or waiting till im older.

2)If you fail to get sponsored is it worth going to a training centre such as Jertz, paying for your training by taking out loans or should this route be looked at as a last resort.

3)Should you aim to get sponsored at the youngest age possible, 19 for CTP or when you have done your A Levels go to Jertz and have your ATPL by the time your 21. Is that looked upon favorabely by airlines or should you wait till you are older.

These are all the questions I have for now and I would really appricate some answers. The last week i have been rather anxios about the answers to these so it would really help put my mind at rest. :)

R T Jones

Flypuppy
14th Sep 2004, 07:42
1) Yes. Apparently the tests are "easier" for younger people (quicker reactions/can adapt more quickly and other such psycho-babble reasons)

2) The vast majority of commercial pilots pay for their own CPL/IR. Sponsored cadets make up a relatively small group of the pilot community. Only you can answer the question whether it is worth it or not.

3) Sponsorships are few and far between, and the majority in future are likely to be of the CTC variety where the candidate will have to sign up for a bank bond of around £70,000 followed by 5-7 years of reduced salary and tied to the "sponsoring" airline. Starting as early as possible is probably a very good thing.

Do consider further education though. Aviation is a very cyclical industry and the potential to lose your livelihood quite real (loss of medical, fail sim check, airline going bust etc etc) and having another string to your bow is always useful. The experience of a 3 or 4 year college or university course will make you a more rounded and mature individual.

Have a read through the Archive Reference Thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131649) for more information.

parris50
14th Sep 2004, 07:45
Yes, do the GAPAN test. If you can't pass it you might need to reconsider your plans. Even if you get a good result, it doesn;t guarantee that you will pass the exams. The tests check your co-ordination, spatial awareness and multitasking ability. Also get your class 1 medical before you start training. If you can't get that, then commercial flying is a no no.

Not sure about sponsorships but I think many on PPRuNe are self sponsored and like me, up to their eyeballs in debt.

AP

BigGrecian
14th Sep 2004, 09:51
1) Yes. Apparently the tests are "easier" for younger people (quicker reactions/can adapt more quickly and other such psycho-babble reasons)

Young people aren't necessarily better at the aptitude tests though I'm afraid. The RAF initiated a "Pilot Sixth Form Sponsorship" where would be pilots took the full tests at 16/17, and if they then got through the tests and remainder of OASC, where offered £1000 towards their final year at school. Unfortunately the pass rate was very low on the aptitude, and many people included myself where dis-heartened. I have friends who went back a year/few years later and then passed. Rumour has it the RAF reviewed the sponsorship due to the low pass rate on the tests.

G-DANM
14th Sep 2004, 13:13
As a young person going to uni next year I have already examined the routes you are talking about. Firstly I agree totally with Flypuppy, go to university and get a degree. It gives you a backup after training particularly in getting an interim job good enough to pay off your loan. Plus once out of university banks are more likely, rather than less likely, to supply you with a loan due to, in their eyes a greater ability to pay it back and you having more world experience (imagine you are a bank manager faced with an 18 year old asking for him to hand over £60,000!!). Many Uni's offer Aviation related degrees with many offering you a discounted opportunity to acheive your PPL (Leeds do Aviation Technology where a PPL is offered although I already have one so am taking management with it instead). These are brilliant allowing you to work in the industry if it all goes wrong.

I believe acheiving a PPL before undertaking training is generally a better indication of your ability to undertake training, how do you know if you haven't already tried piloting a plane?

I have got a PPL with Night Rating allowing me to go straight out of uni and enter Modular or Integrated training for a lesser expense (and so a smaller loan). I noticed you didn't mention Modular training, you should seriously consider this as you can achieve the same as an Integrated Course at your own pace and at about half the price. Schools like Oxford and EPTA even offer modular MCC and JOT now so there is alot going for Modular Training. However, the best advice I have received from asking around is to concentrate on getting good A-Levels and a Degree you enjoy.

P.S
Make sure you get a Class 1 early as a flying mate of mine was determined to skip University and go to training and then couldn't get a Class 1 and so is in limbo now about what to do (plus he is heart broken having built himself up to starting training):ok:

R T Jones
14th Sep 2004, 16:15
I have no objection to going to university but if i am going to get into large debt with flying lessons i dont want an extra debt of university. Also what kind of grades do people applying to CTP have at GCSE and A Levels. My thoughts on the matter are at the moment that every person applying will be as smart as a friend of mine, who just seems to be good in everything, he picks things up quickly, he got 4 A*s 5 A's and 1 B. In relation to another thread I very much enjoy maths and physics and the feeling i get from working through problems espically maths is a great one. I would really appricate a real life pilots opnion on my circumstances and personal advice would be really great. Assuming you can take a class 1 medical at 16 I would take that soon after the raf cranwell aptitude tests, assuming the result of that was high. If not i definatly would re consider careers. I feel within my self that I have the personalty to do it and the perserverence to be an airline pilot. But I want to make sure I really am the type of person.