PDA

View Full Version : EI service diminishes further

MarkD
13th Sep 2004, 19:08
Perhaps this could be a sticky? I feel it's a recurring topic. :(

EI are dropping postal flights to UK. An Post negotiating with BMI and charter operators. (Irish Independent today).

WHBM
13th Sep 2004, 19:58
I wasn't aware that EI operate any specific postal flights at all. I am guessing this is a reference to EI discontinuing belly freight service, which has already been discussed here.

If that is the case, it must be because EI have found the traffic to be unprofitable. Although often perceived as "revenue for nothing" underneath the feet of the passengers, it does consume a lot of terminal costs at either end, airfield facilities, vehicles and staff.

Further all the best Ireland - UK freight/parcels traffic has been picked off in recent years by the overnight express carriers, as a quick look at the Dublin, or to a lesser extent Cork, freight ramps during the day will show.

So I'm sure they will be able to quote. In passing Belfast has always justified many overnght mail flights to the UK, so Dublin ought to be able to run to one or two as well. Or they could always truck the mail up to Belfast up the new motorway !

MarkD
13th Sep 2004, 20:26
WHBM

you are right - I meant the carriage of post rather than postal flights.

Just seems WW can see no profit in anything other than what MOL does.