PDA

View Full Version : XP Pro and passwords - somewhat disconcerting

Onan the Clumsy
13th Sep 2004, 15:15
I spent a happy hour this morning prooning and emailing, then I went out into the garden for some therapy. When I came back, I tried to log back onto my laptop and it said I had the password wrong :confused: I tried it again, still wrong :hmm: I tried all the others and it wouldn't recognise any of them :ooh:

I restarted the computer and everything came back ok :D

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

rustle
13th Sep 2004, 16:35
Sounds more like Pilotwolf borrowed your laptop and switched on "num lock" :rolleyes:

Onan the Clumsy
13th Sep 2004, 17:02
What's Num Lock on a laptop actually do?

With...

qwertyuiop
asdfghjkl
zxcvbnm

:confused:

...without...

qwertyuiop
asdfghjkl
zxcvbnm

:confused: :confused:

...and who'd deny, that's what the fighting's all about?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
13th Sep 2004, 17:03
Onan the Clumsy,

As rustle mentioned, Passwords in WinXP are case sensitive.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Looks like our posts crossed. I am pretty sure rustle meant Caps Lock.

Onan the Clumsy
14th Sep 2004, 12:47
not that I want to reveal my passwords or anything, but at least one of them has no letters in it.

btw, I'm assuming Num Lock is really only referenced if you plug in one of those external number keypads.

anyway, no probs. It's working now.

SoftTop
14th Sep 2004, 14:16
NumLock disables (on the numeric keypad cluster if you have one) those nice cursor arrows and Home, Pg Up, End, Pg Dn, Ins and Del by forcing the numbers and decimal point to be the live functions.

ST

Naples Air Center, Inc.
14th Sep 2004, 14:40
Onan the Clumsy,

If you have the problem again, just make sure you have both the Num and Caps locks correctly set.

If you want to test it out, reboot and turn on both the Num and Caps lock and try your passwords. Lets see what happens.

Take Care,

Richard