PDA

View Full Version : B200 type rating - advice please

MackMeeter
13th Sep 2004, 10:30
Hello all,

I'm about to start my King Air type rating soon and I'd be very grateful for any advice about the chariot that you may have for me in the way of its vices or surprises etc. I'd like my training in my first job to go as smoothly as I can possibly get it to go!!

Cheers

MM :ok:

Rotorstator
14th Sep 2004, 00:12
Lovely aeroplane, flew the 90 & 200. The 90 was a bit on the slow side and the one I flew was very basic. The 200 on the other hand was great. Some were Raisbeck modified and some not.

Had vices when left out primarily with avionics. The nose avionics bay cover leaked and if left out to the elements threw up a few surprises. Apparently this was quite a common problem. Didn't find any real handling vices. Flew one which had the port flaps rigged incorrectly such that it immediately banked left when the flaps were lowered. Flap motor failed on a couple of occasions and had a few problems with the micro-switches that control the flap travel. Quite difficult to check the oils as the hatches are on the top on the engine cowling and can be difficult to pull out the stick. Keep above 400 lbs torque on approach as the props work very well as a brake and it will stop quickly although is recoverable, but obviously is a bit alarming for the pax. We kept the itt below 700 deg as a company rule. Had some problems with the pressurisation controller in the both the 90 & 200. On the older ones make sure you pull the correct handle located in the ceiling to arm the 02 as the other will drop the masks, did that once in haste very embarrassing. Make sure the filler caps are seated correctly after refuelling as they can be tricky. Do check the fuel drains. Had some lovely green algae out of one aircraft.
Probably all very obvious but hope it helps and good luck.

MackMeeter
14th Sep 2004, 09:35
All duly noted and taken on board Rotorstator, cheers mate.

MM :ok:

air med
15th Sep 2004, 14:24
Good day
great plane to fly, but can really slow down alot when coming over the fence and power too low, need to kep alittle power on the touch down.have about 800hrs in them.Watch that the right engine dosent get bogged down in hot weather due to Air con pack, just keep fuel conditionor up a bit, apart from that they are great

navajo chieftain
21st Sep 2004, 20:23
I am also interested in gaining a B90/200 type rating. Could you say where you have decided to do yours?

MackMeeter
25th Sep 2004, 18:15
Hello NC

I haven't had a choice in where to go for my rating as its being done in-house by the company's own TRTO unit at FRA down in Bournemouth.

Sorry I can't be of anymore help.

MM

Miles Magister
26th Sep 2004, 18:59
Take a look at www.camflight.com the chap who runs it is a descent guy and a 200 TRI/E.

MM

compressor stall
28th Sep 2004, 13:52
760ftlbs per side seems to let the aircraft settle around 135-140 knots when levelling out prior to the IAF.

of course that varies a bit with temp weight etc, but its a good starting reference.

Nice machine...what model 200? You got -41 or -42 engines?

Raisbeck mods are nice too...but watch the Autofeather (now mandatory item due to increased Vmca). Remember at the end of the day you are still not a transport category aircraft!

The newer SE models are lovely and quick. If you are flying one with the small rain flap over the door, be aware when doing the autofeather and prop govenor checks with a left crosswind you will get quite a loud rattle that disturbs pax. (the propwash is bent towards the fuse, lifting up the little rain flap).

A good idea to brief them as they are getting in if you are doing runups. :ok:

Enjoy!