PDA

View Full Version : Tornado thread

jimgriff
12th Sep 2004, 13:55
To much info on service ceiling of the Tornado ??????
Where did the thread go?

Hmmm...
Didn't notice that black Vauxhall Omega in the car park before.
I think I'll just..

Jackonicko
12th Sep 2004, 15:38
More over-zealous moderating from the fun police.

And nothing copied after Soddim 'gracefully descended from the bar, alas!'

Still at least PMs still work.....

soddim
12th Sep 2004, 16:01
Tornado does not go high enough for its' service ceiling to be secret so it's hard to imagine why the tread was pulled.

Jackonicko
12th Sep 2004, 18:34
Some over-sensitive twit complained to an equally over-sensitive mod, and an educative, amusing, old style thread bit the dust.

FJJP
12th Sep 2004, 20:26
Hey, guys, please let's not turn this into a MOD-bashing saga. No doubt when the chap gets the time to read this thread, he will give us an explaination. I have in the past reported the odd thread that I felt was getting close to the limit, especially on security grounds and had them questioned. Sometimes action was taken, sometimes not - but I found the MODs involved engaged with me in discussion, listening to my concerns and answering them to our mutual satisfaction.

So I suggest we wait without speculating at the moment...

Jackonicko
12th Sep 2004, 23:05
I'd have thought that simple courtesy and anger management would dictate that if a mod deletes a thread, he might inform the thread starter, and whoever made the last post and the offending post. There might even be something to be said for a mod explaining his actions on the board.....

Davy_MC
13th Sep 2004, 07:53
Well done Mods, there is no need for people to discuss operational details on the web.

Jacko, look in Janes for the service ceiling and quit bleating.

Soddim, cx your PMs.

Before you ask, no it wasn't me who complained to the Mods, but well done whoever did.

BEagle
13th Sep 2004, 08:01
And well done to the Mods who removed another inappropriate thread recently.

I had nothing to do with either threads, incidentally. Although I've suggested pruning (PPRuNe-ing?) certain threads in the past, particularly those which hinted at capabilities.

Remember that N2K and OSA still apply to those who've banged out of the Mil.......

Jackonicko
13th Sep 2004, 09:09
If the actual heights mentioned by some contributors were so dangerous (more dangerous than the height and manoeuvre restrictions openly mentioned and published when discussing Tornado limitations during Southern Watch ops) then surely they could have been 'blurred' or removed without removing the entire thread, which included some interesting, funny and educative stories, including real explanations as to what a service ceiling really is (and is not), and how it's defined.

And in any case, everyone knows that the Tornado struggles at altitude, and conflicting details of the greatest height encountered by different PPRuNers (with no details of date, loadout, or circumstances) will be of little use or even comfort to any enemy.

Davy MC, with 12 posts under your belt, and having clearly not read the thread referred to (which began specifically because the Jane's figures were so laughable) then perhaps you should 'quit bleating'. There will always be over-cautious old women when it comes to discussing anything relating to military aviation, but because you think something is sensitive (or because I think it is not) doesn't make either of us right, necessarily.

And whether or not it was right to pull a thread, to do so without discussion seems high handed and to do so without explanation is just plain rude.

John Farley
13th Sep 2004, 10:43
Jacko - try your PMs again

John

soddim
13th Sep 2004, 15:51
Davy_MC,

Check your PMs - unclassified, of course!