PDA

View Full Version : Wi-Fi and ADSL in the UK

BahrainLad
12th Sep 2004, 12:57
Hi,

The new abode won't have cable outside (even though it's close to the centre of the UK's largest city and the old abode.....wasn't...) so BahrainLad will be resorting to one of the UK's renowned ADSL providers.

Problem is, at the previous abode I had a very nice wireless set-up....cable modem plugged into router using an RJ-45 patch cable, wireless access point plugged into router. Free RJ-45 sockets in case mates/brother/mother wanted to come over and plug in.

Now, I gather that most (if not all) ADSL providers provide you with a USB modem, and advise you to use Internet connection Sharing....not much good if all you've got is a Powerbook. I see Wanadoo have a 'wireless' solution....is this any good, or just 'mickey mouse'?

Basically I need an ADSL modem that will plug into a router using RJ-45 ethernet....do they exist?

Cheers in advance.....BL

BEagle
12th Sep 2004, 13:51
I use Virgin Net and specified no broadband router to be provided with their package (£24 per month for 24/7 broadband access). Instead I use an 802.11b BT Voyager 2000 wireless modem/router. This is used with 2 laptops sharing Internet access and works absolutely fine. I don't think that it's compatible with AOL though.

No interference problems with a Logitech cordless wireless mouse either with this set up; the next stage will be to use a Blutooth printer adapter as well so that there'll be 3 separate RF links from the laptop - make that 4 if the VMC GPRS card is running as well!

mikedurward
12th Sep 2004, 15:28
I use Tiscali 512Mb for £24.99 per month. They provide a USB modem but I have replaced it with a Netgear DG834G. It is a combination braodband conection, 4 100Mb ethernet ports and a 54Mb wireless link. Very easy to set up and have worked without a hitch for 3 months. I have never even had to reboot the router. My IP address as also not changed for ages so I can access my home network from anywhere in the world.

Mike :ok:

BahrainLad
12th Sep 2004, 16:42
Thanks for the information.

I've seen the specs on the Netgear and it seems like the one to go for....got wireless-g in the laptop so it makes sense to go for a 'g' router/modem combo.

I notice that you can specify "connection only" with Wannado (formerly Freeserve).

Second question (!)...a lot of the providers seem to have download caps in place (a concept I'm totally unfamiliar with....the benefits of Telewest!). How much is 'normal'....and does anyone have a provider that's unlimted?

Mad Monk
12th Sep 2004, 19:30
What Ho BL,
Caught your post earlier, not being "in the field " as so many are let it rest.
I use VirginADSL, there is an unpublished cap at 1 GB in 24 hours. Only fell fell foul once when they shut me off at 1.1GB !
Speed and contention are good, been with then for nigh on two years now.
Hardware is Netgear DG834 (excellent) would have gone for the 'G' version if I had intended WiFi then, routing to Mac G4. Later added an iBook (from whence I type, whilst main machine does arcane things with numbers and downloading an obscure file) and an SMC/3COM base station came as part of the package. Someone did not understand that the limitations were his rather than the hard/software; gained an iBook 800Mhz with Airport and a base station and a bunch of bits for ?0„5300 !!
My bottom line, Virgin and Netgear are stable and kosher.

Edited because I forgot. WiFi has only been tested to 45 feet, small garden, at 7 out of 10 bars.

Tuba Mirum
12th Sep 2004, 22:18
I'm on Demon's 512K service, which as far as I'm aware doesn't have a download cap - but I've never approached 1GB in 24 hours, so can't swear to that.
Also a Netgear DG834G user, and quite happy with it now I have the latest firmware for it and for the WG511Ts in the two laptops in the house. Range doesn't seem that great, but the router is stuck in a corner of one room, which is hardly an ideal location.

ORAC
13th Sep 2004, 04:56
I use Metronet. (http://www.metronet.co.uk/adsl/paygo). No usage CAP, no speed throttling and a 3 month contract. I have PayGo2000, 2Mb line for between £17 to £31pm depending on use, handy for me because I am out of the country so much.