View Full Version : All ATP"S

jimbolayah
12th Sep 2004, 12:23
Hello peepz,

I'm considering going to the states to obtain my instructor rating's. I'm considering all atp's for this. I'm planning on doing this on a j-1 visa so that I will be able to work there for 2 years as a instructor. My question is does any of you have first hand experience with this outfit ? And wich all atp facility is the best, as there are so many to choose from. I'm preffering california but that super state is so expensive to live that I'm considering to do my traing in a redneckstate ( no offense :ok: ) ..

I hope somebody can give me some advice

Greetz

Jimbolayah

varigflier
12th Sep 2004, 23:14
I went to the one in Riverside and I had a great time there. The people were nice and they got everything done faster than I expected. I would go there again if I needed more ratings. Can't really say anything about the other locations but they should be the same execpt for the cost of living. I hope this helps.

taluft
14th Sep 2004, 18:48
Jimbo,
ALL-ATPS does NOT issue any visas to foreign students. I know this because I phoned and asked about it. No J-1, M-1, or F-1 visas. The only students they take are US citizens or Green Card holders (permanent residency). Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it is true. The same goes for RAA (Regional Airline Academy). FlightSafety Academy however will issue you an M-1 to do your ratings but only issue the J-1 if you have done no more than a PPL and wish to complete the rest at FlightSafety. You do the flight training for like a year and then work for a year. If you've already got your CPL-ME-IFR then they will not issue you the J-1. Perhaps you could try Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and enrol in a degree program on an F-1 visa and work on your CFIs as well.
Good luck.
TL

Regis Potter
14th Sep 2004, 22:57
taluft

"The only students they take are US citizens or Green Card holders (permanent residency). "

Not true; this may be the case for ab-initio training but not for add on or preparation courses.

jimbolayah
15th Sep 2004, 09:36
Thanks alot mates appreciate the info ! I might get a j-1 visum if lucky and try it there. It just sucks to work at a job that you don't appreciate heence my desire to go back to the states and work on those instructor rating's. I rather sit this "thing" out flying then not.

regards

Jimbolayah

perceval
16th Sep 2004, 16:10
yep , sorry ATP's doesn' issue or process any visa .But if you have one , then they'll take you as a student regardless of nationality .By the way , i understand that getting those 'working' student visas is a lot harder these days .A canadian mate of mine had to live florida . Couldn't get any extensions , renewals ...
Try a BIG , Renown organisation like Flight Safety or American Flyiers ... they' ll be in a better position to help and the salaries might be marginally better anyway .

Skualo3
19th Sep 2004, 01:13
Not related to the post, i trained with a provider in South Florida that issued me then with a J1 wisa, that i used to work as CFI for about 2 years.
In that time i got enough hours to get my ATP. Out of my 1500 total time almost 1100 were on Twins.
The equipment was not always always in tip top shape, but for the amount of money I did pay, it was a great deal, and the large amount of multi time helped with finding a job after instructing.
Check them out, is not for everybody, but might be worth looking into it.

http://www.aribenaviator.com/

Good luck!

weasil
23rd Sep 2004, 10:57
I have a few friends who went to Ari Ben. They loved it and got hired at regionals as soon as they were finished building multi there. THis place sells bulk multi time so you will certainly get a lot working there as an MEI.

American Flyers is not a good place to work! ATP's school in Jacksonville Florida one of their better ones. They have nice new airplanes at most of their locations now though I believe.

Here's another suggestion. Try Sierra Academy in California. You can get an F-1 from EmbryRiddle and work on a bachelor's at their east bay campus. This allows you to work at Sierra or one of the other flight schools in the bay area.

willbav8r
6th Oct 2004, 17:05
Sierra is not the place to go. I would also be somewhat careful about some of the advertisements you see from some schools in the flight magazines. Scour a few american based websites (flightinfo and jetcareers).

Having said that, things on this side of the pond have been picking up for CFI's / low timers recently. Don't discount the good ole fashioned small schools (if you can get the Visa etc).

If you want some first hand knowledge of places in Northern California, feel free to PM me.

Blue Skies.

fernytickles
10th Oct 2004, 15:17
I was told that if you already have a commercial licence you won't be able to get a J-1 visa. Have you tried the forums that talk about visas? Or a flight school which normally is able to help you with visas will be able to advise you correctly that.
Good Luck!

weasil
11th Oct 2004, 23:14
willbav8r you missed my pointmy friend. Maybe you don't like Sierra but the topic is about where he can go that he can get a work visa. And that is one place that he can do that. Although I could be wrong, I know Sierra is under new management these days.

7E7Flyer
12th Jun 2005, 15:10
Skualo3 please check your PM.

7E7Flyer