PDA

View Full Version : RAF Presentation Dress Code

joe2812
12th Sep 2004, 11:12
Got an RAF Presentation at the AFCO this week and it's only just occured to me... what do I wear?!

Is this the point at which I break out the suit or is that too OTT? I don't know anyone who's had one before so anyone here experienced the presentation?

I know I sound like a (for want of a better word)... woman... but first impressions count!

Many thanks in advance! :O

ppf
12th Sep 2004, 12:04
Alright Joe, I’ve always been told it might be appropriate to wear a suit or shirt and tie and have done to the presentations I have been to (3 to date I believe, the video gets really boring!).

I don't believe there is a real necessity to get dressed up, it looks better in my opinion, you will look smarter than wearing jeans and a t-shirt and it does give a good initial impression.

Enjoy the presentation and good luck with the rest of your application.

ppf :cool:

Melchett01
12th Sep 2004, 13:04
Joe - you hit the nail on the head with first impressions count.

Whatever you wear, remember that this isn't just a video and coffee. It is your chance to make an initial impression. If you decide to go ahead and apply, chances are the people writing that first report on you after your initial interview - the one that can kill any chance of even getting to OASC, will be the ones running the presentation.

My advice, jeans and t-shirt are right out. I realise many Messes allow them all the time, mine does, but remember selection & training is a different beastie to the 'real' RAF. A suit would not necessarily be OTT; it would suggest you are serious about being there and as I said, this will be your initial impression. However, remember that there will be lots of you crammed into a small dark room and suit could be a bit warm. Nothing like looking smart but falling asleep!

A good compromise would be chinos and a smart shirt - day to day 'smart' standard dress for most Messes and more comfortable than a suit. If you dress as you would in a Mess, they can't criticise!

Arbie
12th Sep 2004, 13:24
Joe, check your pms old chap

BEagle
12th Sep 2004, 13:27
Smart shirt and slacks - perhaps just a mite too casual. Jacket and tie fine - with polished shoes. No trainers - and certainly no ear rings or other facial scrap iron!

littleme
12th Sep 2004, 18:24
Definately suit, shirt & tie. You'll find most of the people (who are serious about getting into the Air Force) will wear them. All the one's I have been to I have work a suit, unless of course the letter I received previous states otherwise.

Have fun :hmm:

joe2812
12th Sep 2004, 20:28
Just the replies (and PM) I was looking for, thanks very much gents, appreciated.

:ok:

Mr C Hinecap
13th Sep 2004, 07:04
Make sure the suit looks like it has been bought in the last 10 yrs and not a fashion extreme. Nothing worse than seeing someone turn up in :

a: A WIF (weddings, interviews & funerals) suit that is pure polyester and too tight / flared / has the sleeves rolled up a la Miami Vice.

b: One of those black suits with a mandarin collar!

Oh - NO comedy tie and make sure the shoes at least look clean!

Wizzoppell
13th Sep 2004, 07:29
Dress smart EVERY time you go into the AFCO, not just for the interviews etc.

I remember sitting in my AFCO waiting to speak to someone, and the number of 15-yr olds who walked in wearing tracksuit bottoms, jumpers and baseball caps was incredible. If you'd heard some of the things said after they'd left the office, you would wear a suit even to just walk past the window!
Everyone at my P2 presentation was in a suit. 2 of us out of the 11 in that room are off to basic training very soon.

The Maintainer
13th Sep 2004, 12:24
Definitely wear a suit - although you aren't attending for 'formal' assessment, I have a strong suspicion that your appearance and attitude will be reported on every time you walk through the AFCO door.