PDA

View Full Version : Modem/router reboots computer

Bo Jingly
12th Sep 2004, 08:10
I wonder if someone would help me please:

I recently bought a D-Link ADSL Router DSL-G604T. I managed to get it working both on the net and WiFi. However, the thing keeps rebooting my computer; mainly when I leave it and go and make a cup of tea or when I'm on line and I've got lots of downloading going on.

My cooling is fine and I've ran my anti-virus, spy bots etc and all is OK, so I'm pretty sure it's a problem with either the setup or settings? This ONLY happens when I run the router.

I'm runnig Win XP, 1GB RAM, 40 Gb HDD, 1.4 GHz Athlon.

Please help :(

and thanks in advance

Bo

Naples Air Center, Inc.
12th Sep 2004, 12:45
Bo Jingly,

I can assure you that your Router and Modem are not the cause. There is something else going on in your computer. Try running something that is very demanding on your computer but does not use the Internet. Lets see if that causes it to reboot also.

You could try something like 3DMark2001SE Build 330 (http://www.futuremark.com/products/3dmark2001/). (Use the Free Version (http://www.futuremark.com/download/?3dmark2001.shtml))

Lets see if that reboots the comp or not. If you can get though that benchmark without problems, lets look at your NIC.

It would help if you listed your actual hardware. (Mobo, NIC, Vid Card, HD, etc.)

Take Care,

Richard

Bo Jingly
12th Sep 2004, 20:17
Thanks for the reply Richard,

Microsoft help reckons it's a driver problem / conflict with 'new device added to your compter'. I've also ad C' drive low memory messages, so have just released 1.5GB of old programmes and defragged. I'm off on a flt and will get back to you soon

cheers mate

Bo

Naples Air Center, Inc.
12th Sep 2004, 23:56
Bo Jingly,

You should also check what is loading at bootup, that can bring a computer to a crawl and cause it to reboot. (Especially if you have a lot of Malware in the computer, and BHO's loading with IE.)

Take Care,

Richard

Bo Jingly
19th Sep 2004, 19:35
Richard, thanks for your time out replying.

I've figured it out :)

1. Not enough space on my hard drive to allow caching stuff? Memory dump problems etc
2. A conflict with the old ADSL modem that I failed to uninstall. DUH!

Cheers mate

Bo

Naples Air Center, Inc.
20th Sep 2004, 01:55
Bo Jingly,

I am glad to hear you are all set. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard