PDA

View Full Version : R44 crashed today at 12.50 GMT, 3 POB found dead.

Simon10
12th Sep 2004, 01:58
Today at aprox. 12.50 GMT a R44 Astro chrashed just northwest of Gothenburg, Sweden.

Several witnesses called 112 (swedish emerg. services) when they heard a helicopter which suddently went quite and after a few they heard a crash.

The helicopter was privately owned and was today used for company flights in the area around Gothenburg. The weather was somewhat complicated with fog prevaliant some part of the area.

Last fatal Robinson accident in Sweden was 1987 when a R22Mariner with a instructor and his student experienced engine failure during take off. They did not succed in entering autorotation.

http://www.dn.se/content/1/c6/30/99/79/helikop425.jpg

http://www.dn.se/content/1/c6/30/99/79/helikop463.jpg

Grogmonster
12th Sep 2004, 05:04
Simon,

Any chance you could provide more details such as direction of travel, wind direction and velocity, time of day etc? I have just returned from the scene of a double fatality in Australia. The aircraft was a new R44. I am looking for a pattern or any similarities. Your help would be appreciated.

Time Out
12th Sep 2004, 05:52
STOCKHOLM, Sept. 11 (Xinhuanet) -- A private light helicopter crashed in western Sweden Saturday, killing three people aboard, the Swedish News Agency reported.

The Robinson R44 chopper, belonging to a company, crashed in a forest near Sweden's second largest city of Gothenburg, the agencyquoted local police as saying.

It was not immediately clear what caused the crash. But according to the agency, it was very foggy on Saturday, a perfect weather for plane crash.

The police said nobody saw the downing of the helicopter due tothe bad weather and they got the information because a local called them saying he heard what like a plane's crash.

The police found three bodies on the scene, but they could not confirm so far the total number of people involved in four-seat chopper crash, the agency said.

source (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2004-09/12/content_1971119.htm)

Simon10
12th Sep 2004, 08:05
The information released today is that the helicopter is a brand new R44.

Several witnesses today say that they heard "strange sound" from the helicopters engine a short period before it went quite.

Rather foggy weather.

Can one assume carb ice? Or maybe the visual orientation. Anyhow, it will be very interesting to find out what the reasons where.

Vfrpilotpb
12th Sep 2004, 10:00
Simon,

Never assume anything when talking about aircraft or helicopters, especially when incidents have taken place, its bad enough to report such sad incidents on this forum, and speculation is not really needed, and could be read by friends or relations of the deceased .

Peter R-B
Vfr

B Sousa
12th Sep 2004, 13:22
VFR Pilot writes: "and could be read by friends or relations of the deceased .""

Also their Lawyers....

Either way Sad to lose folks in these things, but important to get causes out as soon as possible to prevent another one.......maybe.
Big Controversy, as always, as to whats proper posting and whats respectful posting. Hopefull we can get the information without offending some.

A Factor here seems to be Wx

Flight Safety
12th Sep 2004, 16:10
Does anyone know where other photos might be that can be posted? I don't see the main rotor or the tail boom in the 2 photos shown so far.

My condolences to the families and loved ones of those who were lost.

CRAZYBROADSWORD
14th Sep 2004, 17:42
"simon 10" just so you know mate the new R44's have fuel injection and no carb heat so it should not have been carb ice.

Finnrotor.com
14th Sep 2004, 19:00
As far as I know it was a basic Raven, not Raven 2. So it could have been carb icing also. Whatever the reason, it's always very sad to read that kind of news:( .

ppheli
15th Sep 2004, 05:21
It was SE-JHJ, a Raven I with MSN 1382. It only arrived in Sweden in its crate on 4th June this year.