PDA

View Full Version : Not a good example set....

Rich-Fine-Green
12th Sep 2004, 00:23
On a recent QF flight SY-ML, I was politely reminded by cabin crew about pax carry-on limits:

Admittedly, I did have a bulky laptop case and some headset bags.

However, a few seconds later, Business Class was then noisely filled with off-duty QF crew - each carrying enough gear to fill a small hatchback.

This is not a QF bash as DJ & JQ dead-headers may do the same.

I have no problem checking in a headset bag and then wait at a baggage carosel to follow the rules...(a $6K laptop is not going to be checked in!) but I get annoyed when QF's own staff ignor the rules just so they don't have to wait a few minutes for bags.

Not a good example.

Kaptin M
12th Sep 2004, 00:36
They may not have been "off duty", RFG - or crew scheduling might not have allowed sufficient time for them to check-in their gear between the arrival of their previous duty flight, and subsequent dead-heading...or their flight may have been delayed...or.....

On more than one occasion, I've had reason to have to carry my entire "ensemble" onboard - as much as I didn't want to - because of the prvious reasons.

5h!t happens sometimes.

....but then again, why not have staff ready for doorside check-in?
Probably due to staff shortages :mad: :{

Macrohard
12th Sep 2004, 00:38
Must admit that it doesn't look good nor set a great example for Joe Public, however none of us know the complete story.

Would the aircraft have been delayed if the paxing crew had to check on their baggage? Were the crew "must ride"? Did they have a tight connection at the other end and would have delayed a subsequent flight if they had checked on their baggage and had to wait for it at the carousel? Most passengers would prefer the flight to leave on time rather than wait for delayed crew.

Sometimes your hand is forced if the company want you to be on a particular aircraft for whatever reason.

Wouldn't (shouldn't) happen on DJ, as crew label and drop/pick up bags directly from the aircraft.

Eastwest Loco
13th Sep 2004, 12:36
I know I am a mere groundhog, but isn't the carry-on baggage allowance something to do with safety and the design and restraint capabilities of overhead lockers? Not to mention access to evacuation routes in the case of a major emergency?

If the staff cannot get onto their flight to deadhead after properly checking in, then put them on the next one or overnight them and pay the associated bills.

Best I have seen was Ansett - out of HKG a case in point. The HKG chinese would checkin 20kg, and try to carry 30 on board.The purser on our flight was brilliant. Nailed them before the even stepped aboard, and consigned the excess to the "might get on" pile.

I must admit to being a little less than the perfect seat companion on a flight from SFO to HNL on China Airlines when the twit next to me tried to stuff a video under the seat in front of me. He was very quickly asked if he liked sex and travel and wound up nursing the box all the way to HNL - a little sneering went on as well, but it should never have been allowed aboard.

I am afraid no blind spots should be allowed when it comes to onboard safety and limits. Safety is no accident was on the bottom of all TAA load and trim documents, and how true that is.

Best all

EWL

Rich-Fine-Green
14th Sep 2004, 07:08
B.C.: All of the above and more. Their conversation and luggage suggested an off-duty crew returning home after an international run.

pullock
15th Sep 2004, 11:24
When travelling staff, I carry the maximum allowable sized hand luggage. It never fails to attract attention from other PAX as they don't understand that it is within baggage limits, along with a laptop, and a small carry bag.

People areoften too quick to knock stuff without realising that they can do the same thing themselves........