PDA

View Full Version : Pvr?

The Ferret
10th Sep 2004, 22:24
Premature Voluntary Retirement (PVR) will, for most military aviators, feature in our career deliberations at some stage during our service. There was a thread in this Forum which seems to have disappeared that indicated that PTC had recently reduced its notice to PVR (from 12 months?) to zero - is there any truth in this rumour - and what are the constraints?

If YOU are thinking of leaving at the moment and have scribbled your PVR letter, or have just departed, at what notice were you able to leave.

Has anybody used (or even needed to use) the European legislation which I understand allows you to legally depart any employment, which is paid on a monthly basis, with 30 days notice?:ugh:

Colonel W E Kurtz
11th Sep 2004, 03:20
I was out inside 6 Months:}

EESDL
11th Sep 2004, 08:33
Pulled the post because you guys were getting carried away and losing the plot. I know it is only a rumour network but there are people out there who often forget that.
Some folks can get out in zero time, it all depends upon your individual circumstances/amortization etc.
Like I mentioned in my original thread, I've still got my CFS course to pay back, believe me, that time is well planned as far as my family's future is concerned.
Talk to your 'Desky', you never know, in this currnt climate, the news could be good.

The Gorilla
11th Sep 2004, 10:12
I PVR'd last year and was told that I had to give 12 months notice. Air Eng branch was supposedly short!!

Eventually I was released after only 5 months notice, my case was founded on the following:

I had a confirmed Job to go to with a start date. (Had to provide documentary evidence)

Sqn agreed to accept my post as being gapped.

I had a solicitor write to PMC requesting on what grounds they were refusing my early release.

My Desk Officer was very sympathetic towards my individual case as I only had 3 years service remaining.

It took some time for the Air Sec to make his mind up though!!

As regards the matter of EU law it has been ruled that it doesn't apply, go to this link, and scroll to the bottom of the case files. You are looking for R v Secretary of State for defence (ex parte Andrew Clarke) If they need you for OPERATIONAL reasons they CAN keep you!!

http://www.aspals.com/

:ok:

Radar Muppet
11th Sep 2004, 13:20
Slightly off topic..but I have recently heard a rumour that any PVRs will, from the near future, be accepted only if you elect to take the new AF Pension. In other words PVR = no pension till 60/65! No metion of preserved rights at all.

HOODED
11th Sep 2004, 13:36
Radar, surely this would be illegal. For airmen that have served 22 years ie earned an immediate pension they can exit on PVR at any time. Its treated just like handing in your notice as you have allready completed your origional contract. I may be wrong but that was my understanding. Most SNCOs these days are on age 47 or LOS 30 and age 55 for Flt Sgt and above as most have done their 22. The same must be true for commisioned ranks. It would be an interesting fight in the court of human rights if a contract was changed to force someone onto a new pension scheme just because they elect to hand in their notice.:(

JessTheDog
11th Sep 2004, 18:34
Slightly off topic..but I have recently heard a rumour that any PVRs will, from the near future, be accepted only if you elect to take the new AF Pension. In other words PVR = no pension till 60/65! No metion of preserved rights at all.

There is a grain of truth in this. After the new pension scheme is implemented, all those leaving the service early (ie on PVR) will get their preserved pension at 65. However, they will ger their pre-implementation contributions at age 60.

I can see the men (and women) from the ministry being tempted by the rumor Radar quotes, but only in a fleeting moment before what passes for common sense reasserts itself!