PDA

View Full Version : Kings Shilling

handysnaks
10th Sep 2004, 13:04
I Hope someone may be able to help here...

My dentists son (16, doing well at school) is seriously contemplating a career with HM. An ex ATC cadet with an interest in flying he would like to try for a commission in the AAC.

As much as I can give him a general overview I am lacking a fair bit of relevant info because:-

A. I was enlisted s**t.
B. When I left, there was still a Warsaw Pact and a fence seperating two Germanys!

So, would any of you commissioned types (if your're out there!) be kind enough to let me have the details of who to contact at MW for info, glossy pamphlets and prospects. (by e-mail if it involves names) to
[email protected] (my fee as a headhunter will be waived in this instance! :ok: )

Initially though, I think I am correct in saying that you apply to join the Army as an Officer and then, based on potential/results/grade bid for a reg't/Corps.....(yes/no)

Thanks in anticipation
Handy

allan907
11th Sep 2004, 04:40
One of the prime requirements of the Armed Services is the display of intellect and initiative (particularly with commissioned officers). Therefore tell the idle bugger to look up the number and location of the nearest Army Career Information Office where they will supply him with as many glossy brochures as his heart desires.

.....unless of course you are trying to curry favour with his father the dentist:}

handysnaks
11th Sep 2004, 08:00
Well, I would say that deducing that I had some connection with the AAC from a second hand conversation showed some form of intellect. Getting his father to ask me showed a bit of initiative. So far, I don't need to curry favour but your helpful response is appreciated.:yuk: ;)

SilsoeSid
11th Sep 2004, 19:20
Sorry Handysnaks, I thought this was a thread on the great Kings/Queens Shilling rip off.

Going through my paperwork to fill in my self assessment tax form, (due end of year if online, end of Sept if paper) I came across my first pay statement from the military. Although the goats skin is now somewhat dry, I could still make out an entry saying, 'deductions' "ACIO PMNT"

Is this the Government taking back my Queens Shilling, so in fact after all those years, I didn't have to do all those sh177y jobs, as I hadn't actually been in possesion of the elusive Queens Shilling?

Bu99er :{