PDA

View Full Version : Calendar Boys?

Heliport
10th Sep 2004, 12:18
Norwich Evening News Paramedics bare all for new chopper

http://w3.cambridge-news.co.uk/repository/news/pictures/3630.jpg

PARAMEDICS in Norwich took a leaf out of the book of the famous Calendar Girls and dared to bare all — to raise cash for a second life-saving helicopter.

Twelve brave paramedics and volunteers posed nervously with only medical equipment shielding their private parts as part of a £2 million fund-raising campaign by the East Anglian Air Ambulance Trust.

The gutsy dozen were relieved the rain clouds stayed away when the shots for the calendar were taken at Norwich International airport.

The idea for the calendar came about at the paramedics' Christmas party and fuelled by the odd festive tipple, they jokingly agreed to the idea.

But when it came to shedding their flying suits for the shoot, they needed some gentle persuasion.

Patsy Johnson, area co-ordinator for the East Anglian Air Ambulance, said: "They were so nervous when it came to doing the photo shoot so I had to twist their arms, but they were great sports and we are all chuffed to bits with the end result.

"Many gave up their spare time to take part and two of the guys got a call out during the photo shoot so had to put their clothes on quick to answer the call."

She added: "We are currently now looking through the photographs to choose the best ones for the calendar."

Simon Gray, trust executive director, praised the plucky band of men and outlined how important a second helicopter would be to the service.

He said: "They were very brave and fortunately we had lovely weather for the photo shoot or they would have got soaked.

"We hope the calendar will enable us to purchase a second helicopter. We currently average about five missions a day but this is often doubled in summer.

"There is a need for a second helicopter as the speed in which we get to a patient becomes even more important."

The trust currently has only one air ambulance, code named Anglian One which covers Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex and Cambridgeshire.

Mr Gray said it was currently looking at specifications and equipment needed for a new helicopter and fund raising had already reached £1.5 million.

He said: "My long term goal is to buy two new helicopters but for this we need to raise £3 million.

"We are in the process of looking at what type of helicopter to buy and we now have sufficient funds to start looking at what is on offer.

"We hope to be able to purchase a second helicopter at the beginning of next year."

With a print run of 1,000 copies the calendar will be available from the beginning of next month The calendars will be available from the beginning of next month.
http://www.bluetonguehelicopters.com.au/pprune/actsm.gif

SilsoeSid
10th Sep 2004, 12:23
Please nobody link this to http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=142605
Doh !! http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/other/ymca.gif

Whirlygig
10th Sep 2004, 15:13
I was up at Norwich the day after the shoot. Missed it!!!!!

...but I would have loved to see the look on the faces of the passengers on the flight that took off behind them ;)

They're great sports and I hope many of you will support EAAA by buying one of the calendars - no reflection on you guys' sexuality of course :ok:

Cheers

Whirlygig

Helibelly
10th Sep 2004, 16:28
I was there the day of the 'shoot', god bless them paramedics, it was blowing a gale and not the warmest day on record, sadly the pilots turned down the chance to appear, but that's probably for the best!!

Whirlygig
10th Sep 2004, 16:41
sadly the pilots turned down the chance to appear

:{

SASless
10th Sep 2004, 17:14
Inside rumour has it the reason the pilots turned down the chance was simply there were no XXL flight helmets available.

ShyTorque
10th Sep 2004, 19:55
Just seen the picture on the lead post. Who DOES that guy, third from the right, think he's kidding? It's obvious that it's painted on, and not hanging over......:rolleyes:

B Sousa
10th Sep 2004, 20:02
Good to see a little humor in the Helicopter world. I hope they bring some attention to their goal.
Am I hearing correct, the pilots are not included?? Strange, as most Helicopter Pilots used to jump at the chance to show off.

TheStormyPetrel
10th Sep 2004, 22:50
Pilots were among the participants, if we are to believe Cambridge News (http://cambridge-news.co.uk/news/story.asp?StoryID=60991) The paramedics, pilots and fundraisers who work for East Anglian Air Ambulance, serving Cambridgeshire, Suffolk and Norfolk, took part in a photo shoot for the charity calendar on Tuesday.

However, if not, no doubt SASless has modestly hit the nail on the head (so to speak). :O

ShyTorque were you examining this SMALL photograph with a magnifiying glass perchance? :eek:

ShyTorque
11th Sep 2004, 08:09
Stormy petrel,

No, but my wife did put my specs on for a closer look....at the "helmets" I think she said :p

Well done chaps, anyway, all in a good cause! :ok: