PDA

View Full Version : Cork Airport - the latest farce?

Tom the Tenor
10th Sep 2004, 12:01
Wriggling, ducking and diving - looks like they are at it again at Cork Aiport!

Yesterday's Cork Evening Echo had a story on page two headed -Airlines reject air bridge proposals. The story explains how Cork Aiport passengers may be left out in the cold and wet when the airport completes the Euro 140 million new terminal next year.

The plan was to include the building of four air bridges. Cork says this is now in doubt as major users like Ryanair and Aer Lingus do not want to pay for airbridge facilities which would cost Euro 7.50 for thirty minutes of use.

Aer Rianta, the airport operator of Cork, Dublin and Shannon airports now say the contract with the builder of the new terminal at Cork is under review. Will one, two or more airbridges be built at Cork at all or will the providing of airbridges be completely abandoned?

Look like the management at Cork are trying to pass the buck to the airlines? Save some more money and give it to Shannon for even more waste? How many wettings have Cork management got in the ramp with this summer and had to accompany other passengers smoking and worse on the ramp walking to and from the more remote stands?

What if the money is not now spent on the building of the airbriges but they are sought for new transatlantic services etc in a few years time? How much will it then cost the airport user in increased taxes and charges?

It is not as if Cork has had a good summer. It has been a summer of disgrace what with the inactive ILS to 17, the diversions and the regular severe drenchings of passengers walking to and from remote stands and worst of all the three peak summer months of June, July and August have all seen dramatic fall offs in the number of passengers using the airport. Hardly a job well done?

:confused:

Dee747
10th Sep 2004, 12:13
Definitely a brave operation (albeit a tad uncouth).

LTNman
10th Sep 2004, 12:27
Airlines like Ryanair don’t want airbridges as they like passengers to board front and back to speed up turnarounds. There is no point building something their airlines don’t want

runawayedge
10th Sep 2004, 12:33
Not a nice sight....but I wonder is it solely a monetary issue. I know FR do not like airbridges not only from a cost perspective, but also because of turnaround time. I remember seeing figures quoting 10 mins additional using airbridges. I don't think however the airlines should be dictacting this, the airport should put them in anyway and when they are available insist they are used. Far too often airlines are imposing issues on pax that cause inconvenience. It's about time some airports realise that passengers are also their customers, and fight for better conditions on their behalf!

Tom the Tenor
10th Sep 2004, 12:38
Fair enough if you can provide a coach to carry pax to and from aircraft parked away from the terminal all the time and not kind of deciding on the day in question if it is going to be wet or dry. Right, lads, looks as if is going to rain later today, let's hire in the CIE bus/Green Line bus for the day so they wont be whinging about getting wet!

eoinok
10th Sep 2004, 22:55
I am afraid Tom the T my sentiments are with you!

I am now sitting in my friends flat in london, afraid to open my bag to see how much my clothes got soaked this evening as I sat in the "cafe cuisine" looking at at it lashing rain and my bag sitting in an uncovered baggage trolley left abandoned in the middle of the concourse.
Not to mention of course of course the soaking I got when walking down to the FR parked down by the TNT cargo plane!!

I do agree that the air bridges are essential. Not everyone will want to use, but in the future who knows what might happen?
We could have trans altantic etc with airlines business pax which would require airbridges.

There is air bridges at STN where Ryanair park, they just dont use them, but for BAA going forward in the future, if LHR gets too congested and they get spill over, they will have the air bridges to be able to provide the service if needed.

I am sure for ORK that it would be a hell of a lot cheaper to install the bridges now, rather than in 10 years time decide that they are required where the cost to install them would be 3 times the cost not to mention the disruption to PAX etc.......

MarkD
11th Sep 2004, 01:19
The EI 321s are v slow boarding at LHR (airbridges) but fairly quick at ORK (stairs both ends). If EI handling at LHR boarding last rows first and told queue jumpers to get the hell back it might help though.

An cantilever roof anyone? :D

Musket90
11th Sep 2004, 20:42
At Stansted the airbridges were provided on Piers 1 & 2 by the mid 1990's before the LCCs had really started, so it wasn't known then what we know now. The newest Pier 3 (opened 2 years ago) has no airbridges and was designed with LCC's in mind. RYR share Pier 2 with others but are the sole Pier 3 operator.

Apart from the extended turnaround time airbridges are expensive to provide and maintain and also need additional resource to operate them so it is not in every airport's or airline's business model to have them. They also can take up valuable ramp space that may be better used for other puproses.

eoinok
23rd Sep 2004, 15:12
Musket90, I stand corrected.

What I had taken as air bridges in STN at pier 3 were the walkways out at departures before you go down stairs.
I would think that these would be quite easy to modify going forward if BAA wanted to provide air bridges at 3? Just knock the end of these gateways and install the moving part of the bridge?

I would like to see my Irish tax payers money "wasted" on a couple of extra million making provisio's for air bridges now and never use them rather than in 10 years time finding out they are needed where it would probably cost five times what it would now while the terminal is being built? :)

On a note of air bridges. I happened to fly on a LCC from STN last week on holidays. Airline is question was SkyEurope and I got to experience at 1st hand the delays in turn around time that air bridges can cause.
Everyone going down the same ramp, not a good idea. To compound matter's, SkyEurope do seat allocations so we were further held up by people in the aircraft searching for their seat numbers. I was truely shocked at how slow boarding was.

Now, SkyEurope's policy of using air bridges at STN (dunno if this is forced on them or not by BAA as they may not have the facility at pier 1 to provide any other means of boarding?) and using seat allocation may not be the wisest and there is already has been discussions on them in other threards if they are going to survive in the long term so I dont want to start that debate here!

As a note, I couldn't help thinking if this was a FR flight we would have been boarded and 1/2 ways to Warsaw by the time we were ready to go!

Woofrey
23rd Sep 2004, 21:03
I think you'll find that, like most things in aviation these days, it's all down to cost and the financial return the airport can make.

Look at it this way, the airport operator plans the new facility, say it costs £50m, the locos know that their charges will be based around funding this, so they say "take out the airbridges and save £2m" we don't want them and aren't going to pay for them. If you were the airport operator why would you borrow an extra £2m and pay interest on it, when you're not going to get any return ?

The airline only cares about an on time departure and swift turnaround, do really think any airline cares about its passengers once they have departed the aircraft on arrival ?

skyrabbit
24th Sep 2004, 22:04
Calm down Chaps!

I have flown into Cork almost every week for the past 15 months,

it is a fine airport with the most friendly (by far) staff I have ever encountered.

stop knocking it, it is an asset to the area it serves and will soon have a fab new terminal

my best regards to all at EICK/ORK

Rabbs

:ok:

DC10FAN
25th Sep 2004, 10:24
I have mixed views re. airbridges; they're great when it's raining but clearly have their limitations:

1. Turn-around time as mentioned. The operator always seems to take ages aligning the bridge to the front door which just adds more time.
2. Boarding from stairs is more fun; you appreciate the sheer size of a large a/c when this happens.
3. Most airports only have single airbridges ie. no boarding at the rear door which is a real pain on large a/c. The gates on Pier F at AMS are impressive; the overwing airbridges must have cost a fortune.

terrier21
25th Sep 2004, 20:06
Having never Travelled through ORK I dont know how things are there but dont the have coachs?

chiglet
25th Sep 2004, 21:52
FR/RYR at MAN/EGCC use T2. Aibridges 9/10
watp,iktch

Tom the Tenor
27th Sep 2004, 11:02
Terrier 21, a coach from the national state owned bus compay, Bus Eireann was used on the ramp one Sunday about a month to six weeks ago.

It is likely this happened as a result of complaints that made into the local newspaper, The Irish Examier, from a councillor from Cashel, Co Tipperary. Cllr Wood had got a fierce Cork drenching from heavy rain and gale force winds as he returned from his sun holiday in Spain as his aircraft was parked remotely a long way from the terminal in the inclement weather.

The Sunday the coach was used was dry and sunny and has not been spotted since that famous day!

MarkD
4th Mar 2005, 00:17
http://tinyurl.com/5y2xb

Tom the Tenor
4th Mar 2005, 15:55
Funny stuff, sure enough. The essential stage Corkman in full flight, so to speak. However, if lips have to get wet in praise of being back in Cork again much better to have those wet lips around a pint of Murphys than slobbering kisses over a wet and windswept ramp surrounded by smokers lighting up on the long walk back to the terminal.

Obviously, must agree with the bit allowing our North Atlantic visitors to get to us directly without the hinderance of visits to west Clare villages!

Up the Rebels, whatever that means! If Cork Airport is to remain without some airbridges for the new terminal it looks like Cork people are happy to be 2nd class citizens with 2nd class facilities.

Cork Airport and her passengers will get what they deserve but you can bet Shannon Airport would not be without whatever facility they'd want. That is the difference - coming to the conclusion there is a certain weakness among Cork people. It must be all the rain? A numbness eventually creeps in?

All a Corkman wants is his hurling and his week in Santa Ponsa? :\

Tom the Tenor
5th Mar 2005, 23:15
Anyone see the letters page of Saturday's Irish Examiner newspaper? I am told there is a good letter by Simon Coveney, TD (MP) on the airbridges debate at Cork Airport. Anyone who has read the letter care to comment?

MarkD
6th Mar 2005, 01:56
for TTT: de paper

http://www.irishexaminer.com/pport/web/opinion/Full_Story/did-sgdvbCtaMkBuAsgdL11Zs5FWAE.asp
05/03/05

Cullen holds key to air bridges
I AM extremely concerned at the controversy which has arisen in relation to the provision of air bridges at Cork airport.

In a reply to a question from my Dáil colleague, Deputy David Stanton, on February 8, the Minster for Transport, Martin Cullen, indicated that based on information which he had received from the Dublin Airport Authority, "the main airline customers using Cork airport do not support the provision of air bridges as recently envisaged in the plans for the airport development programme and, accordingly, the current works do not provide for air bridges".

As I understand it, the proposed development at Cork airport always included the provision for air bridges. To fail to provide them at this stage would be extremely retrograde. Aer Lingus and Ryanair have indicated that they do not wish to use air bridges at Cork. However, if they were available at Cork airport and were being used by other airlines, then I believe Aer Lingus and all other airlines would follow suit if only in response to customer demand.

I also believe that the future expansion of the airport under the Cork Airport Authority will result in many other carriers perhaps including North American as well as European airlines using the airport. It is quite likely that those carriers and their passengers would expect air bridges in a modern European airport. The present airport layout means that many aircraft are parked a considerable distance from the terminal building. In poor weather this means passengers may have to walk up to 200 yards in wind and/or rain to reach the aircraft.

A decision by the Dublin Airport Authority to deny Cork airport the air bridge facilities would be extremely shortsighted. While it might save the Dublin authority the cost of such facilities now, ultimately the air bridges will have to be installed undoubtedly at far greater cost then.

The problem seems to revolve around three companies, all of which are the responsibility of Minister Cullen: the Dublin Airport Authority, which is refusing to provide the air bridges; Aer Lingus, which says it won't use them even if they are there; and Cork Airport Authority, which is seeking to have the bridges retained in the plans. They are all semi-state companies under the ultimate control of the Department of Transport.

The business community in Cork, as well as the travel trade, disability groups and other users of the airport, are all seeking to have the bridges retained. I have called on the Minister for Transport to re-examine the matter. I am convinced these problems can be resolved by firm action on the part of Mr Cullen and his department.

Simon Coveney TD, MEP
6A, Anglesea Street
Cork

Wee Weasley Welshman
6th Mar 2005, 08:38
Airbridges are a pain in the backside. What Cork needs is cheap high frequency air services on jets.

Tom the Tenor
7th Mar 2005, 14:07
Airbridges a pain in the backside? To whom? Pilots, is it? You sit in a warm flight deck with your mug of tea whilst Cork passengers walk up to a 1000 feet in driving rain and crosswind to get to their aircraft all so that you can later take the brakes off and let the aircraft roll down the ramp? How convenient for the poor overworked pilots!

Airbridges are for passengers and their convenience, not pilots or other airport workers. I have not even mentioned the use of airbridges for passengers who have disability. Speaking for myself I have a weak hip and foot and am I to continue to walk to Stand 13, 14, 15 at Cork in the rain and wind for there are also no buses at Cork? What a way to treat people and those same passengers pay hefty taxes to Cork Airport for this shabby, rude treatment whilst the loafers at Cork drive around in their vans and jeeps not seeing or choosing not to see arriving and departing passengers smoking and p!55ing on their trek up and down the ramp to and from aircraft.

Yes, Ryanair and others will probably not use airbridges. No surprise there. However, other low cost airlines do use airbridges. I have travelled on a number of flights with WWW's employer, easyJet, that have used airbridges at certain airports.

The Mininster for Transport in Ireland still, however, owns Aer Lingus on behalf of the Irish people and EI are happy to use the airbridges in Dublin, Shannon, Heathrow, Europe and America so why should they not use intended airbridges at Cork Airport? Also, if Shannon was to request yet another airbridge (!) you can bet it would be on it's way double quick time.

But, more importantly, the correct infrastructure including airbridges needs to be in place if Cork is ever to be an attractive player in achieving new flights across the Atlantic to the USA. Eventhough EI would be the best player in the game for a Cork-USA service their A330 equipment is, I think, wrong so it is left to other carriers, mainly American airlines to development such routes and is there any airport in northern Europle where AA, CO, DL have a 757 or 767 parked up at a stand without an airbridge in situ?

If the new Cork Airport board gives in and goes along with the Dublin Airport Authority plan of having no airbridges at Cork they will have failed as a body and the only action will be to call for their resignation.

Copenhagen
7th Mar 2005, 15:15
Tom, you need to look out of the box a bit more.

No Airbridges

= lower airport capital costs = ability to pass on lower costs to the airlines, and attracting more airlines on more routes.

Air Bridges

= under-used equipment that airlines don't want and higher airport operating costs = higher costs passed onto the airlines = ORK being less attractive a destination.

Will passengers really be walking a 1,000 feet in the new terminal?

Another Question - since when is provision of airbridges the be all and end all of international travel when it comes to deciding to fly a route? Ever been to Heathrow and seen the amount of remote served gates? Ever been to the airports in the Caribbean or Mexico that north american carriers fly to without airbridges?

Tom the Tenor
7th Mar 2005, 23:19
Yes, Copenhagen, Cork pax will be walking close to a 1000 feet. The only difference with the new terminal will be they will be walking north to south rather than south to north!

You hit the nail on the head too with your reference to Caribbean and Mexican destinations. Regular warmth and sunshine unlike regular wind and rain at Cork.

Remote parking at Heathrow? Bet the pax are not left to their own devices getting back to the terminals and that there are coaches used for the purpose, unlike Cork where there are no coaches.

I cannot see the likes of Continental ever agreeing to parking up a 757 at Cork and allowing her high yielding business class passengers having to traipse down the Cork ramp in the rain and wind to and from the aircraft. No, if Cork is to hope to ever have flights to and from North America there has to be airbridges, it is an essential part of the necessary infrastructure for the plan to work.

Sure, Cork Airport needs all the low cost airlines that it can muster and, yes, they are on the main unlikely to use airbridges but there still remains a growing number of full service airlines that do use airbridges elsewhere on their route networks and would surely do so as well at Cork if so provided with the option?

Tom the Tenor
7th Apr 2005, 18:10
Believe there is a story about the airport in tonight's Cork Evening Echo newspaper.

Understand that Joe O'Connor, the current airport manager, is saying that by November Cork will have airbridges and transatlantic.

Anyone know more or is this ol' guff put out from the CAA as a distraction?

A doubting Thomas the Tenor! :hmm:

eoinok
9th Apr 2005, 17:21
no mention of that article in the echo anyway Tom???

Had a quick look this morning at last nites echo, didn;t see it......

FlyCorkInternational
9th Apr 2005, 17:38
Yes the article did appear (on wednesday I think) - it was a full page spread on the new development at Cork Airport. As for the two specific points. The airbridges - I believe a compromise was reached here and instead of the original plans for 4, they are now initially going to provide 2. Regarding the issue of TransAtlantic by November. My reading of this was that it indicated that they anticipated that they may be able to announce news of a possible service in November. However I subsequently was speaking with airport connected people, and they hinted that it was actually that the service would start in November.

We will have to watch this space for now ......

TheOddOne
10th Apr 2005, 14:51
Using an airbridge inevitably means a nose-in push-back operation. The current loco op at ORK involves spinning through 270 deg on arrival to present the left front & back doors to the building, thus providing minimum off-load/load times (easyJet use both front & back doors at Cork, unlike at LGW - much better!). We actually got rid of an airbridge option on stands 9 & 10 at LGW and the turnaround on these stands looks pretty slick to me.

Perhaps the best compromise is to provide just 2 airbridges for longhaul flights (and I very much hope that Cork benefits from these soon) and leave the locos to the spinning stands.

I used Cork in & out with the family last week, a really quick & tidy operation on the ground. I guess we're all lucky to be fit & well, but I don't MIND a walk when I've been cooped up in an a/c.

Surely no-one goes to Ireland expecting it NOT to rain, do they? It's called a raincoat - get one 'cos you'll likely need it sometime during your stay! The rain plays a large part in making the place so beautiful, so don't knock it.

Cheers,
The Odd One.

minuteman
11th Apr 2005, 11:12
From today's Irish Independent:

Airport storm over flight cancellations

CORK airport blamed the pilots, the pilots blamed the planes and everyone blamed the weather yesterday for a record number of flight cancellations last month.

Ireland's second busiest airport had 46 flights delayed or cancelled in March, it emerged yesterday.

Joe O'Connor, its director, claimed that some pilots were not trained to a sufficient level to land the planes in fog or low cloud.

"Five thousand passengers were affected. The airport can do nothing about it when an airline decides to cancel a flight or divert because weather conditions are bad."

He said pilots needed specialist landing skills to touch down in fog, using the relevant plane and airport technology.

"It would seem that some are not qualified to do this, or the aircraft they are flying are not equipped for that kind of landing," he said.

:rolleyes:

Full story: HERE (http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1374352&issue_id=12320) (free subscription required)

CCR
11th Apr 2005, 11:18
When they replaced the CAT 11 approaches into Cork last summer, why did they not consider replacing it with CAT 111 approaches?????

Tom the Tenor
11th Apr 2005, 15:09
The cat is out of the bag for RE and WW?

CAT II for RE at Cork for the time being seems to be just a dream? Not sure on what side it falls; aircrew or aircraft? What is even more galling from RE is the requirment sometimes for a 900 m RVR! What is all that about? Is it a Sligo thing?

I understand a common pastime among boarded Cork RE passengers these days is the recounting to each other of their horror stories about diverted flights etc. A real ice-breaker for shy passengers? Love stories may even begin - you cant ever tell what is at the end of your next diverted RE flight? A romance, mabye?

And as for those bmi cry babies! They refuse to conduct CATII approaches at Cork. However, if they divert to Shannon and if a CATII approach is needed there is no problem!

It seems WW have a thing about cranes at Cork for the building of the new terminal. If it is such a big deal for baby to shoot CAT II approaches at Cork you have to question why BMI Regional/BD have no such problems landing their ERJ aircraft on CATII from Leeds/Bradford?

Equally, Aer Lingus, Ryanair, EasyJet etc have no problems landing on CATII at Cork.

The bmi baby attitude to CAT II at Cork must come from a company SOP? If so, what is the mindset?

There is no CAT III at Cork because it does not suit Shannon and the former Aer Rianta. Shannon Airport's passenger figures are boosted nicely by Cork diverstions. Irish government policy on aviation is to protect Shannon at all costs. It follows that this must mean keeping Cork down.

The stories you hear about the valley at Cork messing up the RadAlt for CAT III may have validity but the issue is not insurmountable? Certainly, should not be a problem for the runway 35 end if the technical difficulties are genuinely too much on 17? The costs of installing CATIII would be more than offset by the costs involved in the many diversions lost to snn and elsewhere?

eoinok
11th Apr 2005, 23:20
Well, they can never say that you cry wolf TTT!!!

On an RE flight this evening to DUB. Announced that we wont be boarding til 7.10pm (supposed to depart at 7.05pm)

Was quite surprised to see an eirjet A320 land. Thought it must have been some ad hoc charter or something? Onl;y saw about 20 people getting off. Nothing on the boards about it? Only an RE flight from Dublin landed, where was it?
Even more surprised when we were called to board. "go down the stairs, turn right, and board the aircraft with the greeen tail"
Just getting over this when it was annouced that "we must make a quick story in KIR en route to Dublin". "I apologise for this, I understood that RE ground staff at ORK made you aware of this."
I was traveling with two colleagues. We all checked in at different times. It was only when we got on board we were told this??
So landed in Farnafore, and guess who walked on? Minister John O Donoghue, for arts, tourism and sports!!!!!!
Now I dont know how delayed he was but he definately had the look of an anxed man :)
So left faranfore and arrived in Dublin (30 mins flying time). Then proceded to sit on the tarmac for 10 minutes while we waited for some ladders to be brought to our aircraft to allow us off!!.

All in all, we were only 1 1/2 hours late getting to Dublin, despite the tour of ireland.

One would have to think though, the RE have once again done themselves no favours by having a technical problem with one of their aircraft the day they were due to carry a minister to DUB with PSO decision time coming up??

MarkD
12th Apr 2005, 13:11
would have been a lot worse for them if they cancelled KIR outright, especially as they are only allowed cancel 2pc of PSO flights!

Tom the Tenor
12th Apr 2005, 18:14
Joe O'Connor, the airport manager at Cork is back in the media spotlight a lot these days. In today's Irish Examiner newspaper Mr O'Connor has rejected claims, attributed to him in a Sunday newspaper, that inexperienced pilots were to blame for March's diversions and cancellations.

March saw 46 flights either diverted or cancelled affecting up to 5000 passengers at Cork Airport, the second half of the month accounting for 37 of the number when the wx was really c@ap!

Mr O'Connor went on to say that a flight could be diverted for many reasons, including, weather, but an aircraft might not have equipment compatible with the CATII at Cork and it was also possible a pilot might not be trained to carry out specialist landings but Mr O'Connor added that this case was infrequent.

The boss of Aer Arann was then introduced to the debate. Mr O'Ceidigh agreed some pilots might not be fully trained for specialist landings. Mr O'Ceidigh then claims that all Aer Arann aircraft were compatible with CAT II and their pilots were qualified for specialist landings.

Cad e!?

Now, in this evening's Cork Evening Echo Mr O'Ceidigh is in the news again announcing an increase in frequency of flights between Cork and Dublin. Sure enough there is another ATR-72 on the way, an ex Binter aircraft was delivered through Cork in recent weeks. Mr O'Ceidigh stirs things up even more by reintroducing the topic of Aer Arann summer charters to America but 30 million euro is needed first to launch the project!

Aer Arann and Cork Airport - what harmony!

CCR
13th Apr 2005, 10:30
The transatlantic flights will be scheduled flights as the open skies agreement should be in place by next year.

Tom the Tenor
13th Apr 2005, 19:14
Anyone know why when the runway was extended at Cork that it was just an extra thousand feet and not more?

Idunno
14th Apr 2005, 01:01
Because its on the short flat bit on top of a steep hill Tom.
Thought you knew that.

Tom the Tenor
14th Apr 2005, 07:54
More ol' guff? Dont accept that for a second. More interested to know if there was any other agenda around at the time. Cant help wondering if the enemy had any influence in the matter. Thinking in terms of - Dont let Cork get too big - wouldn't be good for our business.

If we did not know before we certainly know now how the politics game works in Irish aviation.

eoinok
14th Apr 2005, 11:37
The only way to extend the runway now is to level the house at the end of 35!!!
Dont even have to move the road (tunnel underneath runway.

Work should take 2 year to complete if it started on Monday.

I predict that we will have A380's operating out of ORK by the summer of 2008!!!!

But I agree with ya Tom though about the "dont let Cork get too big"

If we had the runway, we would destroy at least 1/2 of SNN's TA traffic, and at that, that would be 1/2 the traffic that has to stop there anyway...

DUB is quickly becoming a joke. Was up there yesterday. It just doesn't have the capacity anymore to expand. The only slots available are late at night departures now etc. ORK if it could take the big boys, could benifit from route to the middle east etc as DUB is choc a blocked.

Idunno
14th Apr 2005, 11:47
This is what you need Tom - Runway Extension (http://en.structurae.de/photos/index.cfm?JS=24080)

Tom the Tenor
14th Apr 2005, 14:47
Well, it is at last time for some better news for Cork Airport!

It has been confirmed that Cork Airport's new terminal is to include two airbridges which are costing a total of 700,000 euro.

The news was announced by Cork Airport's new chairman, Joe Gantley, at a sitting yesterday of the Oireachtas (Parliamentary) Committee on Transport.

This is welcome news.

However, to think that the DAA did their best to stuff Cork over such a relatively minor cost is alarming.

Aviation in Ireland is a dirty business. You have to have a strong stomach. No doubt about that.

Wee Weasley Welshman
14th Apr 2005, 14:54
Thats half a million quid up the swanny then. Plus maintenance and training to keep operational.

Thats a lot of buses.

Cheers

thegypsy
14th Apr 2005, 15:00
Probably paid for by EU ie UK taxpayers!!!

Tom the Tenor
14th Apr 2005, 15:09
Well, gypsy, guess it must be the profits from airport charges that are paying for Cork's airbridges. And, sure thing, lots of UK taxpayers are happy to use Cork Airport everyday so what about, WWW, send us an easy from BRS. You dont even have to use an airbridge!

You will still be very welcome and a big Cead Mile Failte awaits!

Irish Steve
14th Apr 2005, 15:10
Thats a lot of buses.

No, it's 2 jetways, :E and while we both know that on a 737 LoCo short turn round an airstair and a set of steps at the back are a better option, jetways for larger widebody aircraft are a much better option, especially when it's a long haul, and takes more than 10 minutes to load, there are practical and security issues that can't be easily solved when loading takes nearer an hour.

Also, a jetway makes it a lot easier to load wheelchairs, and while the LoCo carriers limit the numbers, there are special flights to places like Lourdes that can have 30+ severely restricted mobility passengers on them. Trying to get that many passengers to the aircraft, and then get them up an airstair is not funny (I've done it and suffered the pain afterwards). On one occasion, we had a special flight out of DUB to Lourdes that had 75, yes 75 chairs on it. Even with a jetway, it took over 2 hours to load it.

Last but not least, there are some operators that are prepared to pay the premium to use a jetway, as they think it makes the whole operation less stressful for the passengers, especially in the depth of winter when the destination ( or departure point) is somewhere tropical.

I'm very happy to see that at last, some sense has prevailed. No one forces an airline to use jetways, but they do have their place in modern aviation. At last, Cork is getting something modern.

thegypsy
14th Apr 2005, 15:21
T t T I would think you guess wrong that profits paid for the airbridges. Of course UK taxpayers are happy to fly to Cork. Most don't have a clue where all the EU money goes. Even the accountants don't as they have not signed off the EU accounts for the past 7 years or so. But then what can you expect when we send failed Politicians like Kinnoch to sort out the mess and now Mandelson.

I don't blame countries like Eire et al taking all this EU money if it is thrown at them. I would do the same!

CCR
15th Apr 2005, 12:04
gypsy..you have somewhat dated views. The airbridges are paid for by the DAA. Ireland is the wealthiest country in the EU after Luxembourg. It is a net contributer to the EU.

MarkD
15th Apr 2005, 14:29
The airbridges will be paid for by Cork Airport Authority, as reported in today's Examiner, along with the rest of the terminal redevelopment - 160m Euro.

neidin
15th Apr 2005, 16:51
Oh - and is it not the case that the final price on the project is looking more like EURO 40m over budget - so a total of EURO 200m. Sure whats a few EURO 100m between friends.

thegypsy
15th Apr 2005, 17:15
CCR You should get your facts right. Not disputing that Eire is one of the richest countries in EU which is not surprising after all that EU Aid over the years but if you do a search on Google you will see that Eire will Not become a net contributor until 2007

Tom the Tenor
15th Apr 2005, 17:21
Millions of euro over budget? Will this be the excuse seized on by the CAA to introduce the subject of staff redundancies, voluntary or otherwise?

Guess it may mean a lot of golden handshakes and fancy watches for some of the longer serving troops at Cork.

I bet that is why the TDs (MPs) were jumpin' 'round the garden, so to speak, in the reports in today's Irish Examiner about the change in plan indicating that Cork will now have to absorb most of the debt in relation to the new terminal?

More ramp and runway extensions much less likey now for another half generation or so?

More Cork biz to end up in snn?

Gypsy, Britain has a General Election in a few weeks time. This should give you a great opportunity for bringing up the subject of net UK contributions to the EU with your parlimentary candidates?

Equally, you could join a political party and in time run for your local council as Britain in Europe always seems to be a hot topic for many on your side of the Irish Sea?

thegypsy
15th Apr 2005, 18:05
Tom the Tenor

If you had to live in the UK of today you would see all too clearly what being in the EU has done for us!!!!

You said the airbridges were paid by Cork Airport Authority yet your very opening thread which you started said the airport was a disgrace during last summer. Hardly the recipe for all those profits to pay for these Airbridges:confused:

PS Thanks for reminding me about the Election here. Veritas et tu

Tom the Tenor
16th Apr 2005, 00:07
What the EU has done for Britain. Well, for a start there has been peace between Britain, Germany and France since 1945! That cant be bad? Jaw, jaw and entente cordiale sure is better than bombs and bullets going off throughout our European nations?

Call it the EU, call it an armed truce, call it what you will, I dont mind as long as it all goes to bring more new passengers to Cork Airport - I look on it at the most basic level! To tell you the truth I am only interested in how the EU affects Cork - at the final round up all politics is local?

The airbridges cost will be absorbed by Cork through her passenger charges. That was made more clear from the reports in Fridays newspaper. At present it looks like Cork Airport's charges are higher than Stansted. This is galling on one level but I am for now ready to go along with this if in the end Cork ends up with some top facilities because, afterall, we have a lot of ground to make up!

Hopefully, this is summer will be far less fraught with problems but Cork is regularly a prisoner to weather. Things were made worse last year by there being no ILS for some months which compounded the problems. If the navaids remain online for us this summer Cork will redeem herself.

We look forward to the summer ahead in anticipation!

Corcaigh Abu!

123 O'Leary
16th Apr 2005, 02:36
Hang on a minute TTT, i thought it was all FR, WW, and RE.s fault
that so many divertions were taking place!!!
So Cork does share some of the blame after all, 'bout time ye all admitted it, CAT3 in Cork will remain a pipe dream!

Tom the Tenor
16th Apr 2005, 10:28
No ILS for a lengthy time period last summer affected all carriers flying into Cork. The navaid was down in order install a new ILS. The wx was at times very bad last summer and Cork was caught out.

Cork's passengers were the one's who suffered most from this inconvenience with lost time and long drives to and from snn and kir.

You will have to ask Cork and the IAA why the installation was down for so long and a CATIII was not considered an option to at least runway 35. I am sure the marginal cost of this extra feature would not have been excessive and would be paid for in time by the airports users.