PDA

View Full Version : PPL course for resettlement

Appo
10th Sep 2004, 11:56
I'm nearing my resettlement zone and hope to do a PPL course. I recognize that I will have to put my own money towards the course and I notice that courses abroad could be a cost effective option.

Anyone done anything similar? Grateful for any advice.

The Swinging Monkey
10th Sep 2004, 12:09
Appo,

Tried something similar when I left, but got no joy. You have to be able to prove that the resettlement course is something to do with your up-and-coming future employment, and that is what scuppered me! I suppose if you plan to open your own flying school, then you may be in with a shout, but it didn't work for me.

That said, I did come out of it OK, but had to pay for my own civvie PPL.

Best of luck tho'

Kind regards
The swinging Monkey

BEagle
10th Sep 2004, 12:32
Firstly I must declare an interest as I run a PPL school at the Covert Oxonian Aerodrome not far from Cartoontown.

Look at the ELC (that's 'enhanced learning credits', not 'early learning centre'!) and you will find who provides PPL-level training. We are probably the nearest mil base to you where you can train for your PPL.

If you have aspirations to becoming an airline pilot, you can do this by either the 'modular' or 'integrated' route. The 'integrated' costs megabucks, but takes you from 0-fATPL. Whereas the 'modular' route is self-paced but requires you to have achieved a PPL first. So, if you state that the PPL training you want to undertake is a mandatory precursor to commencing ATPL 'modular route' training for future employment, you will be telling the truth!

Dial-a-mate Brize 6133 if you'd like to join us!

tokentotty
10th Sep 2004, 12:37
Why don't you go for a CPL? I think it's only PPL plus 250 hrs and an exam and you might be able to count your hours flown in RAF towards them. This would be a much easier way round the old career training thing as it would actually allow you to earn money from your flying. (Even if it is only "I'll fly you to Le T for lunch if you pay the petrol" kind of thing.)

BEagle
10th Sep 2004, 16:48
Quote: Even if it is only "I'll fly you to Le T for lunch if you pay the petrol" kind of thing.

That, my friend, is known to the CAA as Illegal Air Transport. They are very keen on prosecuting anyone caught doing such a thing. To ply for hire and reward as a private air taxi operator, you need more than just a CPL.

But what you can say (even with a PPL) is "I'm going to fly to Le T for lunch, anyone want to come along and cost-share?". If there are 3 of you, you as pilot must pay at least one-third. If there are 4 of you, you must pay at least a quarter. You may not advertise your trip in public.

Appo
10th Sep 2004, 16:52
Thanks for replies to date.

tokentotty - sorry, should have mentioned I'm not a pilot.

I have wanted to join a flying club and learn for some time now, but the cost has always prevented me. My hope is that I can do a course somewhere and pay a good proportion of the cost with my resettlement grant.

BEagle - I'll give you a call next week.

Anyone been abroad to gain a PPL on resettlement?

iain mchenry
10th Sep 2004, 20:07
Appo,

I have had my PPL for the last 10years. I am in my last year of army service and recently applied for the Enhanced Learning Credits that BEagle mentioned. From what I can gather, if you are entitled to ELC you can use them for PPL trg etc once you are out of the services or on resettlement. I dont have the ruls and regs handy but from what I can remember, initially it will give you up to £1000 a year toward trg. Then once you have used it, £2000 a year from then on for the next 10 years.

Best regards

Iain

Lord Trenchards Brat
10th Sep 2004, 20:27
Appo

Having just reached a similar point, I enquired about ELCs from those more edumacashunally astute in my office. It appears you only have three bites at it. For the likes of us (who were serving pre 2000) post 2008 it will be at the rate of £2000 per credit whether still in or not but until then its only £1000 per credit. Im paying for my own training now (not PPL!) by using the education grant, as its loosely connected with my current work (not!). This is so that I can benefit from £6000 later on instead of £3000 now, in case my plans go down the drain.

Please advise if my understanding is wrong!

LTB

PS: No1 School circa 85-88??? PM me if you were

portwait
11th Sep 2004, 10:52
Am in a similar position myself.

3000hr + Observer in the Navy with 2 years service left. Already have a PPL but am hour building looking for a flying job commercially when I leave.

Oddly enough we just had a Fleet educational Officer visit the flight and I collared him afterwards to try and clear up some of the confusion.

There are 3 ways to get money during your resettlement

Standard Learning Credit - £140 pounds a year, available throughout your service but can only be used if it benefits the military.

Enhanced learning Credit - amount dependant on length of service.

Resettlement grant - can only be used in last 2 years, not sure of the amount.

I asked him how best I could use all this with a view to getting myself in a position when I leave to be employable, the answer was something like this (remember this came from the mouth of a real blunty and thus cannot be taken too literally)

You can use your SLC's to pay for exams etc

You can use your ELC's to pay for courses, but the school has to be registered with the ELC scheme, EG Bristol Ground school (although he would not confirm that this is open to everyone or just pilots)

You can use your resettlement grant to pay for accommodation etc while on course.

Suggest you talk to your local educational Officer as he may give you a better answer, the money seems to be there but using it for something useful appears difficult (he did say that most cases of people using ELC's at the moment are "test" cases as the system is not running at 100% whats new???)

On a slightly different note, anyone out there been successful in taking up a commercial flying carrer having been an Obs / navs. Does my flying experience count for anything or will I be in the same boat as all the other hour builders? Any tips to be successful in the end would be appreciated.

hope it helps, but remember like Met men Educational officers speak with forked tongue.

Cheers,

goferthehammer
11th Sep 2004, 14:13
My better half has just this year finished in mob, and she did PPL training as part of resettlement at a school in America. Her resettlement officer was more than happy about doing PPL as it is a recognised qualification. She got up to the maximum allowed towards the training plus subs at UK rate.

The only warning she would give is "do NOT book any flights until you have your student visa application in your hand". Please beware, if you go without a visa you are commiting a criminal offence and if the school is willing to lie about something so important think about what other things may not be up to standard.

US Embassy web sites most useful for info on student visas for flying training. It can take at least a month to get through the visa process. Feel free to PM for more info if you wish.

BTW - BEagle, is school at 'Secret Oxonian Aerodrome' open to spouses and members of Senior service? If so please PM me, VMT.

SmilingKnifed
12th Sep 2004, 21:56
Further to earlier points on ELC, Naples Air Center (Florida) have just been accepted as an ELC training provider and do a modular ATPL course, which I begin next month.

Also, if anyone's completed the JEFTS syllabus, they can count that towards a PPL. They need only do the air law, x-country and radio exam.

Anyone know what I can count from Jetstream hours during AFT? I was chopped towards the end and I'm now starting down the civvie route. I've drawn a blank so far from the CAA.

16 blades
13th Sep 2004, 00:42
SmilingKnifed,

All your Jetstream hours, as well as all other Mil flying hours, will count towards civ hours requirements (don't forget to add 10min per sortie for chock-chock times as civvies record them). JS hours should count towards a PPL in the same way as Firefly hours, but you have to have flown a single-engine type in the last 12 months when you apply to get a PPL(A) - you will also get a Multi-rating on it.

Last time I looked, anyways. My info may now be way out of date. BEags should be able to clarify.......

16B

airborne_artist
13th Sep 2004, 05:47
16B

SmilingKnifed is a Nav, as you light blue call them - don't think his hours in the back count towards hours in R or LHS?

BEagle
13th Sep 2004, 06:32
Jetstream hours may possibly count towards Total Time requirements, but not for much else unless you are seeking a Jetstream Type Rating.

SmilingKnifed
13th Sep 2004, 09:40
airborne_artist, I didn't train as a nav/obs. The RAF used the Jetstream for ME pilot training.

BEagle/16 Blades, many thanks.