PDA

View Full Version : Victoria Falls Crash - Desperately need info

SkySista
10th Sep 2004, 08:49
Mods, feel free to move if necessary, I dont have time to see if has already been posted

Have just arrived home to be told 3 friends may be the ones killed in the charter crash at Victoria Falls

Anyone have info as cannot obviously ask family yet - have read mechanicla failure in one article but info very scarce.

Any help very appreciated

Sky

:{

PCFlyer
10th Sep 2004, 08:59
From the Herald Sun

AUSTRALIAN officials are still seeking details of a plane crash in Zambia, in which three members of a West Australian family were killed.
A Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) spokeswoman today said a married couple, both aged 26, and the husband's mother, aged 58, were on a scenic flight near Victoria Falls when the accident happened.
It was not immediately clear what caused the crash near the Zimbabwean/Zambian border, or exactly when it happened, and authorities were still seeking details, the spokeswoman said.

SkySista
10th Sep 2004, 09:17
Thanks. Was not sure if it was them - have received phone call-

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

It is.

Bloody hell. If I had known they were planning on a charter....

I only saw them last Wednesday :{

Am going offline now, if anyone else gets anything more update, please post it..... may help me understand what has happened...still can't belive it.......

Sky

sinala1
10th Sep 2004, 09:37
Skysista

I am so sorry to hear that your friends were in this horrible accident... I think I speak on behalf of all Ppruner's when I say that our thoughts are with you and the victims family members during this sad time :{ :{

Not_Another_Pot
10th Sep 2004, 23:37
Concur, sorry to hear about your loss SS:(

TheStormyPetrel
12th Sep 2004, 04:35
Three die in Zambia crash

KIM MACDONALD

A Perth family were grieving yesterday after the death of three relatives in a light aircraft crash in Zambia, Africa, during the safari trip of a lifetime.

Matthew and Justine Watters, both 26, and Matthew's mother Shirley, 58, all from Darlington, were killed in the crash near Victoria Falls on Thursday afternoon, together with an English couple, also in their 20s, and the Canadian pilot.

It came only a day after they experienced the ironically named Flight of Angels, which is a scenic aerial view of the picturesque Victoria Falls on the Zambian and Zimbabwean border.

A family friend, who did not want to be named, said the victims had been travelling in a group of eight for three weeks and were due to return home next week.

The friend said the two couples and Mrs Watters had chartered the plane to fly 700km from South Luangwa National Park to the world-famous falls, where they stayed overnight.

The accident happened soon into the return trip on Thursday afternoon about 48km from Livingstone airport.

''Some 20 minutes into the flight the aircraft transmitted a mayday advising that the engine was losing oil,'' said a statement released by the family.

''That was the last that was heard of the plane and a search and rescue helicopter discovered the wreckage shortly thereafter.''

Zambia's civil aviation director, Chitalu Kabalika, confirmed that shortly after take-off the pilot relayed he had an engine problem.

Less than 50 minutes later, the wreckage of the light aircraft, a Cessna 210, was found in the Zimba region of Zambia, between Livingstone and Kalomo.

The family friend said Shirley's husband Kim, his cousin Shannon Farmer and Mr Farmer's wife, Kristin, from Glen Forrest, had stayed behind at the national park and were advised of the tragedy at 5.30pm on Thursday.

It is understood that Mr Watters is receiving counselling at the Australian Embassy in Harare. A relative of Justine Watters, nee Morton, has also flown from Perth to Zimbabwe.

The Times in Harare reported Theo Goveia, the managing director of local air charter company Airwaves Airlink, as saying the plane which crashed was on lease to his company from Travel Africa, a South African company. He said mechanical failure was suspected.

He told the newspaper that under aviation rules and regulations, maintenance works on foreign aircraft were not permitted to be carried out locally.

A Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade spokeswoman said consular assistance from the Australian High Commission in Harare was being provided to the remaining members of the party, who are due to return to Perth within days.

"We're saddened to learn of the death of three West Australians from the same family," she said.

Victoria Falls is one of the world's most popular tourist destinations. The falls are 1708m wide and drop between 90m and 107m into the Zambezi Gorge. The West Australian (http://www.thewest.com.au/20040911/news/general/tw-news-general-home-sto129316.html)

I don't know if you still needed info, but I came across the above. Very sorry to hear about what happened to your friends, Sky.

SkySista
12th Sep 2004, 13:54
Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts. I now know the full story (well as much as may be known at this time), what Stormy has posted, that article was written with the assistance of a family spokesperson. I attended church today where we were all told what would be happening in regards to them being brought home...

It is such a tragedy, also to find out the two British passengers were a couple I had met who had visited our church previously.

I understand from one news report that the pilot had attempted an emergency landing. I am sure s/he did the best they could. Condolances also to his/her family at this sad time, as I know the pain they must also be suffering.

Thank you everyone again for your words of sympathy, this will be a difficult time but made easier by the support of our friends and loved ones to remember Shirley, Matthew, and Justine.

Thank you from me to anyone here reading who had a part in helping their family & friends to deal with this tragedy, also to any staff at the airline who help to bring them home (I think it will be SAA) I am sure their families appreciate it very much.

Sincere thanks,

Sky