PDA

View Full Version : Pilots and Health

rtforu
10th Sep 2004, 06:05
Over the years I have wondered what the long term effects flying would have on us pilots. I know most of us feel like cr#p after a midnight to dawn flight but does that mean it's bad for our health? I would be interseted in what guys and gals think.

Does anyone know of any studies that may have been done on pilots over the years?

Cheers

Romeo Tango Alpha
10th Sep 2004, 07:20
Just look at how many pilots drop dead within approximately 10 years of retirement.

I don't know if it's all the pent up stress, or the pangs of wanting to fly, or whatever, but a lot of airline pilots seem to keel over once they retire at full age (not just going by natural causes)

rtforu
10th Sep 2004, 22:37
Yes RTA, I agree. I know plenty of guys who have retired and only lasted a few years. But I wonder if that's the same for other industries as well. I have read that people who have worked for long periods as shift workers do not fair well when it comes to longevity. So, is it the flying or does it come down to other factors?

Blue Line
11th Sep 2004, 02:14
If Shift work, Booze & Hosties are going to mean I die slightly earlier I can accept it :cool:

hoss
11th Sep 2004, 03:08
Yes, have to agree. I'm doing my bit to last another 40 years or so by going to the gym or doing at least 1 hour of exercise each day I can.

Many many moons ago a Psychic once went very quiet on me when she was talking about how long I would last. According to her I get into my 70's :ok: . See if I can prove her wrong:) .

(she also said I would be flying an aircraft which hasn't been 'conceptualised' yet, looks like Bombardier will bring out a Dash 8-500;) )

Northern Chique
11th Sep 2004, 13:54
To my knowledge, there has been a number of studies done on life expectancy after retirement. The upshot was no one particular employment factor was at fault, but lifestyle leading to health problems certainly did. Another contributing factor is mental preparedness. Folks who just stop aftre retirement or early forced retirement, seem to have a harder time overall in the longevity stakes verses those who have plans and ongoing life commitments after their retirement date.

The idea is, what investments you take in your health at a younger age pays off later on, and having a fullfilling "occupation" after retirement from full time aviation is also highly recommended. Preparation and participation in planning for post retirement is critical if you dont want a really good case of "cranky old fart blues".

Retiring is not a ticket to stop dead in your tracks so to speak. The other factor noted in the studies is the effect of family and friends. Lots more family time and much less of your work companions who you've more than likely been pseudo married to for most of your career. This can have detrimental or positive effects in as much as the marriage can suffer or suddenly come alive after many years of shift work and periods of separation. "Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome" is common across many fields involving significant blocks of time away from home base and shift work.

For those who retire into an empty house, that emptyness has been described by one of those experiencing it as "amplified silence". This incredible loneliness also can be a contributing factor for depression after retirement. For those who find that they no longer have any useful role or purpose in life after retirement, the depression is clinical and lead to fatal decisions if not treated. The demise of a persons health during depression is also common. Thus the all too common "old folks diseases".

I see it alot during my line of work, and albeit I see the worst side at times, its an all too common theme. Like flying, prepare and think ahead to minimise the risks....

my thoughts anyway.....

rtforu
11th Sep 2004, 21:28
Really informative post Northen Chique, thanks.

mexicomel
13th Sep 2004, 05:37
But have there been any studies done in Australia on cabin crew/pilots and the long term health implications of flying?

Cosmic Radiation exposure is another one. I know there are studies on the implications of this, but I want to know if there's any form of compulsory monitoring by airlines in Australia?

UK and Europe have had legislation in place for years, why arent we taking it seriously?