PDA

View Full Version : In service / Stored BAC 1-11s

mrshubigbus
9th Sep 2004, 17:10
AS a Pilot and aviation enthusiast in the UK I would be very grateful if anyone can give me an idea of locations of either active or stored BAC 1-11s. I am trying to establish their final locations before being scrapped etc. There are as many as 50 aircraft still out in Africa scattered around with many in Nigeria.
Any information would be much appreciated

Peter
www.bac1-11jet.co.uk

Stephen Stark
10th Sep 2004, 09:37
There are quite a few BACs located at Lanseria, that appear to be very diused, without the engines and interiors. I estimate about ten of them, in faded Nationwide livery. I'm sure f you want to buy them you could build some low cost housing with the hulls :}

Treetopflyer
10th Sep 2004, 19:45
I know many of the BAC111 which were operating in Africa have been bought up by the VIP division of Libyan Arab Airlines which intends to refurbish them and bring them up to corporate standards. I saw four of these at the Medavia maintenance facility in Luqa, Malta. Two of them were registered in Sierra Leone, the other two in Nigeria (Albarka Air colors).

Also, there was another BAC111 (short fuselage) hangared there in Luqa, absolutely immaculate even though I never saw it fly. Painted in weird rainbow colors, looking ready for the Gay Pride or something... Dunno the owner -- definitely not Libyan Arab though!:}

Finally, as you are probably aware already, there is a former Chrome Air of Nigeria BAC111 (5N-BDC I believe) resting in Libreville, Gabon after a runway overrun here in 2002 (or 2001? Can't remember). It is missing the nosewheel and both wings.

mrshubigbus
14th Sep 2004, 11:02
Do any of the huge Okada Air or Kabo Air 1-11 fleets still exist? Where are they now?

oneeyed
5th Oct 2004, 21:47
Yes guys you are right there is still quite a number of them - some of them even in excellent condition in Nigeria although the ones of Kabo and Okada aint no more.
But Al Barka still has 1 + 1 in flying condition, one is with Chanchangi (config. 76 C) in excellent shape, two with EAS and last two delivered by European Aviation to Savannah Airlines just months before the ban are also still very much around.

chuks
7th Oct 2004, 13:25
Nigeria is the 'Elephant's Graveyard' of BAC-1-11s. Lagos, Benin City, Port Harcourt, Jos, Calabar, Abuja, Sokoto (last seen parked next to the main highway in second-hand condition, minus its gear). Usually they seemed to fall victim to 'press-on-itis', losing their nosegear to a lack of rounding-out due to a lack of being able to see the runway due to a tropical downpour.

Two former co-pilots of mine died in accidents, one at Tamanrasset on landing and one at Kano on take-off. The authorities grounded the type for pax flying in Nigeria after the Kano accident, although I don't think you could blame it on the aircraft type.