PDA

View Full Version : The Future of the Internet

Naples Air Center, Inc.
9th Sep 2004, 14:27
Interesting look into the future of the Internet:

Researchers were able to send 859 gigabytes of data in less than 17 minutes at a rate of 6.63 gigabits per second - a speed that equals the transfer of a full-length DVD movie in four seconds.

Get the full store here:

Internet2 sets new data speed record (http://www.dmeurope.com/default.asp?ArticleID=3016)

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. I am sure the RIAA is really happy about this news. :cool:

amanoffewwords
9th Sep 2004, 15:47
Makes you wonder if we're not living in the prehistoric part of the Internet age. Like I always say my kids will take their kids to a science museum one day where they will be told that once upon a time "people used to disconnect from the Internet" - and that will a source of much amusement to all concerned. In the meantime they will have devised a way to email our ashes to the funeral home! "I want them scattered at www.pprune.org" will be an option!

But I digress. Must be the heat, back to work :{

mikedurward
9th Sep 2004, 17:49
The problem is with distances. you can tx virtually any amount of data you like over a very short distance.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
9th Sep 2004, 19:23
mikedurward,

The transfer experiment was done between the Geneva, Switzerland home of CERN and Pasadena, California, where Caltech is based - a distance of approximately 15,766 kilometres

Take Care,

Richard

Blacksheep
10th Sep 2004, 04:59
So, in the future CoolWebSearch will only need 0.03 nanoseconds to hijack your pooter?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Sep 2004, 13:14
Blacksheep,

Na, I doubt it will take that long. :eek:

Take Care,

Richard

goates
10th Sep 2004, 14:33
Forget the RIAA, this will have the MPAA panicking. Downloading DVD quality movies in 4 seconds will make short work of Hollywood's offerings.

Maybe Intel can help prevent viruses spreading (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3643902.stm). Then again everyone would still be running Windows, which won't be close to being secure until at least 2011 (according to a MS executive).

goates

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Sep 2004, 14:44
goates,

It seems that all these claims seem to underestimate the resourcefulness of the Hackers. :eek:

Take Care,

Richard

BEagle
10th Sep 2004, 17:37
Perhaps by then hackers, virus writers and other destructive geeky nerds will be put to death when caught?

If only........