PDA

View Full Version : Thomsonfly to make Bournemouth a major base? (Merged)

Thunderball 2
9th Sep 2004, 14:19
You'll all tell me this is old hat, but I haven't seen it elsewhere.

Source: An overheard conversation on a train from Southampton Parkway to Waterloo. Employees of Big Four accounting firms really should check to see if the carriage is empty before airing their client's plans.

Flightmapping
9th Sep 2004, 19:43
Thunderball,

This is a rumour network, so isn't that what we're here to discuss?

I don't know if the catchment area would be big enough to base 4 or 5 a/c, but I can see some logic in having a smaller presence there:

SOU has capacity constraints & a strong existing presence from Flybe
Ryanair have never expanded on their presence at BOH
BOH has a wealthy population in the surrounding area, who might appreciate those little differences over Ryanair, such as allocated seats.
Reasonable presence of charter flights, but little in the scheduled department beyond the Channel Islands and 3 Ryanair routes

eurostar builder
16th Sep 2004, 20:28
Bournemouth has just spent some money on some new signs.

Sadly they dont direct the public to the cash machines.

Also think they need some TV Moniters at the Arrivals (Car Park)
so people can watch which flights land whilst stood in the cold.

richxby
16th Sep 2004, 23:33
hiya

yeah BOH will be the 3rd TOM base, hehe, only jokin !!!!!

well i've heard all around work BOH or MME so probably some truth in the rumour, but u know how galley FM is lol. anyways i think it will be way after Doncaster opens before they think about announcing/deciding a 3rd base!!

Courtman
17th Sep 2004, 07:49
BOH will be a T-Fly based from next Spring.

Ianj
17th Sep 2004, 08:00
I have heard that T'flys new base will be opening two months before their Doncaster base and will be annonced next week! - Again that was from galley fm!!

IanJ

Mooncrest
25th Sep 2004, 10:39
It would be refreshing to see some more aircraft movement at Bournemouth. I've just spent a fortnight down there and frankly, it was downright depressing at times. Apart from the European thunderballs and the odd Ryanair flight, it's just so quiet. And the sight of the old 747s looking out over the runway in geriatric contemplation just adds to the gloom. They didn't move at all while I was there ! It just seems a shame for a relatively large airfield with a decent size runway and good road access to be languishing so. I hope Jet2 move in there before too long and give nearby FlyBe some competition.

Southampton, on the other hand, was thriving yesterday with a variety of machines from Eastern, BACX, Spanair and FlyBe. It's just a bit boxed in physically. I suggest a BOH/SOU merger to solve all the problems ! (That's meant in jest BTW ;) ).

MARKEYD
25th Sep 2004, 13:05
Well it could be that persistance pays off for BOH which has waited far to long for new routes and airlines to give it a go !

A report in the Travel Trade Gazette dated Sept 24

THOMSONFLY TARGETS BOURNEMOUTH

Thomsonfly has set its sights on starting operations at Bournemouth airport. The TUI UK no - frills brand is thought to be in advanced talks about opening a base there next year . A spokesman said the airline was in discussions with several potential new bases . Ryanair operates three routes from Bournemouth , while Bath Travel runs the Palmair charter operation from there . end

Lets wait and see but i would imagine any announcement would be made soon in order to get bookings etc up and away

Fingers crossed

Flightrider
25th Sep 2004, 13:59
Are you sure that this talk of Thomsonfly is not just getting confused with the impending TUI announcement that they are going to withdraw IT charters from Southampton and increase capacity at Bournemouth next summer?

Courtman
25th Sep 2004, 19:47
Flightrider: Nope, T-Fly will open a new base at BOH next Spring. Whether or not Britannia (Thomson) will operate charter flights from there is another matter...

FLYboh
25th Sep 2004, 20:36
Will be interesting to see what FR's reaction to this will be.

Will FR bother to compete on routes like Malaga, which is almost certain to be offered if the TOM base goes ahead.

Anyone know when an announcement is likely to be made if this is going to happen. Excuse my caution, but the Buzz fiasco was only 18 months ago. Don't think anyone will truly believe it until they witness the first flight departing BOH.

Fingers crossed for BOH. Lets hope this is the one they've been waiting for.:ok:

Thunderball 2
25th Sep 2004, 21:01
The circumstances surrounding the Buzz fiasco were unique, to the best of my knowledge. Thomson cannot and will not go down the same track. If they launch and take bookings they'll fly, and I can't see "guilt-by-association" being a problem simply because they've chosen Bournemouth.

But what about Palmair? This is a wonderful operation, a real quality product steeped in traditional values. It should have a Preservation Order put on it. But Thomson are bound to go for some of the Palmair routes, and although the IT element loyal to Bath will (presumably) still be strong, the seat-only punters will go for price and price alone. It would be suicide for Bath to take on a loco like Thomsonfly and try to play them at their own game, so what can they do - downsize to 70 seat aircraft and cede the seat-only market to Thomsonfly? Not that there are exactly dozens of 70 seat aircraft available to be branded for the summer, and of course those that are - 146-100 for example - won't get down to the Canaries without three tech stops (slight exaggeration).

And where does this leave the rather beleagured European - isn't the three-ship(?) Palmair operation the backbone of the B737-200 operation?

Answers on a postcard please to "Bath Travel, Bournemouth":oh:

FLYboh
26th Sep 2004, 09:32
Not sure if Palmair will be hit too badly if the TOM base goes ahead. Palmair have dropped seat only prices from £230ish to as low as £99 return, this I presume is to compete with Flybe at Southampton and Easy at Gatwick.

I personally know of a lot of people who deserted Palmair when the lo-co's got going at Gatwick. Our neighbours have just flown to Palma from Bristol with Easy even though there are 4 flights a week from BOH with flight only from £99.

On the positive side for Palmair though, a lot of people in the area will only ever book Palmair/Bath Travel. Its almost a local tradition down here.

Re European. Who knows? I have no idea how things are going for them.

FLYboh
26th Sep 2004, 14:47
IDC thats exactly my point. Palmair already is under pressure from the locos at Gatwick, Southampton and Bristol. So if TOM start at BOH then I don't really see it being too much of an issue for Palmair.

Hopefully you'll be able to make use of BOH next year if this comes off:ok:

Thunderball 2
26th Sep 2004, 15:26
Palmair

FLYboh, I think your observations about Palmair already competing with locos merely reinforce the very questions about them that were in my mind. To drop from £230 to £99 may be an impressive competitive response, but;

a) Your experience is that people are still migrating to still lower fares from BRS/SOU/LGW etc
b) Unless you're making truly massive profits in the first place you can't suffer a yield reduction like that without sustaining serious damage.

The only hope an operator would normally have when faced with these pressures is to change their business model (i.e.abandon seat only, or become a loco themselves). Bigger equipment with the attendant economies of scale would be one antidote, especially they've got a loyal client base, but the risks would be enormous.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Palmair might be like the family grocer on the corner of the High Street faced with a Tesco Superstore opening just out of town...

eurostar builder
26th Sep 2004, 16:14
This sounds like Good news.

Just ask any passengers that fly from bournemouth and most will say its a shame the flight are the same old destinations.

Roll on the new flights.

FLYboh
26th Sep 2004, 20:17
Thunderball 2, I would agree with you except that Palmair PAX numbers this summer have been equal to that of previous years and as IDC points out and myself. Lots of people have already switched to the loco market. My suggestion is that the market here at BOH has settled down to those who will purchase flight only so they can get to their/ friends villas in Spain or those who need a package holiday. It is still much cheaper to take a 7 night IT holiday with Palmair than fly to Spain at £50 return and book a 6 night hotel stay.

Loco flights are great if you have a cheap place to stay when you get there, but if not a package holiday is always going to be the cheaper option.

FLYboh
9th Oct 2004, 19:42
Bournemouths daily local newspaper is reporting that a loco will announce BOH as its new base on wednesday after 10 a.m.

Judging by what has been reported on here it would appear to be Thomsonfly.

If this comes off it must have been a deal with the whole Thomson group as they've returned to BOH on the charter side as of this winter for the first time since 2000.

Fingers crossed for BOH. Could this finally be their turn????

:ok:

loveJet
11th Oct 2004, 12:49
Cant wait for the Ryanair reaction.

I'm sure Ryanair would love to keep BOH under their thumb adding new routes slowly and making as much dosh as poss. This will speed up the route addition process i'm sure.

I reckon 2006 BOH will overtake SOU in terms of pax. Watch this space

serko
12th Oct 2004, 13:10
this is talking about services to Salzburg airport

"TUI’s new low cost carrier ThomsonFly is getting ready to add
new services from Bournemouth, UK to complement flights from Coventry effective 26 November. FlyBE. is
reducing its flights to weekends only from Birmingham and Southampton, UK. ThompsonFly may also serve the
airport from Nottingham East Midlands in the UK, the airport believed."

from http://www.eraa.org/ERANews011004.pdf

TVflyer
12th Oct 2004, 14:00
I think you'll find a few more routes than just Salzburg are announced by T-Fly at BOH tomorrow !

serko
12th Oct 2004, 14:34
I know they're meant to be starting a base at Bournemouth, but I was wondering if there are plans for a NEMA base.

FLYboh
12th Oct 2004, 15:59
Does anyone out there know if Thomsonfly will announce the destinations its to serve from BOH tomorrow? Or is it merely that they will base but with routes to be announced.

Will they be having a press conference launch and is it worth going along to see what all the fuss is about?

cheers for any advice :ok:

we_never_change
12th Oct 2004, 18:28
I know they're meant to be starting a base at Bournemouth, but I was wondering if there are plans for a NEMA base.

I think EMA would be too close to Coventry

WNC

phil_2405
13th Oct 2004, 00:56
I think Thomsonfly may choose to serve Salzburg from NEMA, simply because nobody currently operates the route. It would probably operate as a 'W' rotation though I should think. I would be very surprised to see Thomsonfly opening a NEMA base in the future due to its proximity to Coventry. I recently spoke to part of Thomsonfly's commercial department and they seemed very happy with Coventry and gave absolutely no impression that they would want to transfer to NEMA, which is extremely cramped at busy periods (and hence would give Thomsonfly passengers a poor experience).

Thats my humble opinion anyway!

FLYboh
13th Oct 2004, 07:52
Local BBC TV news states that BOH is about to announce a new based airline starting operations from next spring and flying to 6 destinations. No mention of where or if routes will start earlier like Salzburg mentioned previously.

Looking forward to the press briefing :ok:

jabird
13th Oct 2004, 08:26
Ok then, can we have a quick guess at where these will be before the announcement is official?

SZG - pretty much confirmed
VLC - has been popular & no other local competition
AMS - always popular, ScotAirways from SOU not cheap
AGP - anyone can fill seats there
JER - too close to be ignored?
EDI - would be an interesting one - already v. successful from SOU - didn't Euroscot (?) try this a few years back? (had to pick one not already served).

6 destinations - some summer, some winter? Just the one based a/c then?

Le Tirer
13th Oct 2004, 08:42
I'll go for AMS, ALC, AGP, PMI all year round.
SZG and LYS winter.
VCE and NCE summer.

JER is already served by both Aurigny and Rockhopper. Wouldn't like to see them forced off the route.

Jethro is saying there will be 2 based B733 at BOH but as yet doesn't say where they're coming from (with 4 more and a B738 at Finningly).

jabird
13th Oct 2004, 09:10
So 4 x 735 @CVT, 4+2 x 733, and a single 738?

How economical is it to have such a mix on a fleet this size?

Flightrider
13th Oct 2004, 09:45
Rumour had it that Thomsonfly had done a lease deal last week with one of the major lessors for six ex-Lufthansa 737-300s to be delivered next year. The suggestion was that these were going to be 737-500 replacements, but it may be that they are going to run both in tandem.

There were suggestions that two -800s would be drafted back in from Scandinavia to operate the based TeesSide and Finningley programmes next year. Wait to see if the Scandinavians kick off about losing their small aircraft......

FLYboh
13th Oct 2004, 10:14
looking at possible routes I have a strong feeling that Palma will be one of them. Palmair have dropped one flight per week for next summer according to the new brochure out today.

G-THOD arrived in a heavy downpour at BOH just before 10.30 this morning just like the BUZZ 737 did almost 2 years ago! Hope this is not an omen.

Localiser Green
13th Oct 2004, 10:47
Wait to see if the Scandinavians kick off about losing their small aircraft......

Not likely... they are getting a 752 from BY mainline for the Summer in exchange for the damp-leased 738 at MME.

ALLMCC
13th Oct 2004, 10:52
Seem to recall that back in the Buzz days, there were plans for a Belfast service - then MOL bounced in and the rest is history! Possible future destination for TOM?

jabird
13th Oct 2004, 11:04
It's on the DSA list, so could be an option. There is currently a lot more traffic going to EDI though, and FR already do PIK.

Balboy
13th Oct 2004, 11:42
Its Official

Newsflash
Thomsonfly.com announces third base

Thomsonfly.com has today announced that Bournemouth Airport will become its third base with flights commencing in March 2005.

Two B737s will operate flights to a range of European beach, leisure and city destinations. The route network and schedule will be released in early December.

Chief Commercial Officer for Thomsonfly.com, Alex Hunter, said: “Bournemouth is one of the fastest growing towns in Europe making it a great choice for a new base. The number of low cost routes is very limited from Bournemouth so our flights will open this up dramatically. People want to be able to choose from a range of leisure destinations at low fares without having to travel to a London airport. The routes will also provide a new gateway to the UK for overseas travellers, providing an extra boost for the local economy.”

Bournemouth Airport is part of the Manchester Airports Group who also own, Manchester Airport, Nottingham East Midlands Airport and Humberside Airport.

info from company website..

Wycombe
13th Oct 2004, 12:25
Plenty of room for Thomsonfly and Flybe to co-exist on the South Coast, I reckon, as long as there's not too much route duplication
(although I suspect there could be demand for both to continue to operate some - AGP, ALC for example)

Other LCC dests that BEE don't do from SOU - FAO, BCN, NCE - bet some of them will be on the TOM list.

phil_2405
13th Oct 2004, 13:56
Bournemouth confirmed as new base for low fares airline

Two 737 aircraft will operate the flights from Bournemouth - the first Southern base for Thomsonfly.com. The airline is part of TUI UK, which includes well known brands Lunn Poly and Thomson Holidays. Bournemouth is the third regional airport base to be announced since Thomsonfly.com launched in December last year.

The flight services will offer people in the region low fares flights from their local airport. One-way fares will start from under £20 including taxes and charges - which is less than a single rail fare from Bournemouth to London.

The operation will benefit the local economy by creating over 60 jobs directly at Thomsonfly.com, investing in the area and benefiting local tourism by encouraging incoming tourism.

Thomsonfly.com operation at Coventry Airport flew over 350,000 sector passengers in its first six months of operation, which commenced in March this year. Winter routes are now being introduced including cities, winter sun resorts and ski destinations. Earlier this year Thomsonfly.com also announced that it would be operating from Robin Hood Doncaster Sheffield Airport, former RAF Finningley, next spring.

Chief Commercial Officer of Thomsonfly.com, Alex Hunter, was at the airport today to launch the airline’s new base, he said: “Bournemouth is one of the fastest growing towns in Europe making it a great choice for a new base. The number of low cost routes is very limited from Bournemouth so our flights will open this up dramatically and this is a real opportunity for Thomsonfly.com. People want to be able to be able to choose from a range of leisure destinations at low fares without having to travel to a London airport. The routes will also provide a new gateway to the UK for overseas travellers, providing an extra boost for the local economy.”

Rowena Burns, Group Strategy Director of Manchester Airport Group, added: “Thomsonfly.com has quickly established itself as a major low fares airline and we are delighted that they have chosen Bournemouth as their southern base. We strongly believe that having such a major player based at the airport will prove to be a huge magnet for a wider audience who may not have previously considered flying from Bournemouth in the past. It also puts Bournemouth Airport firmly on the map which is good news for local businesses and tourism, and will help attract investment and industry into the region.”

The flights will go on sale in early December on the website at www.thomsonfly.com or by calling 0870 1900 737. By pre-registering on the website potential passengers will receive the details of the routes and flights as soon as they are announced.

Source: Thomsonfly.com

loveJet
15th Oct 2004, 15:32
...lets guess the routes, he who gets them right must be forever respected on this site!

Pisa
Venice
Amsterdam
Jersey
Cologne (operated by HLX)
Malaga
Palma
Alicante
Ibiza

However Bournemouth's market would also better suit Marseille, Nice, Valencia and Naples than Coventry would, surely. So maybe just closing your eyes and pointing at the thomsonfly route map would be just as insightful (!):confused:

Jet

jabird
15th Oct 2004, 17:51
Love Jet

Haven't they said they'd be launching 6? So I think the "rules" should be to name 6 each! If I'm going to be strictly competitive, I should probably remove EDI, as that's a long shot, but not sure which one I'd replace it with yet.

Hasn't CGN already been pulled from the summer scheduled at CVT? These German routes need daily frequency, surely - anyone know why Flybe hasn't looked at more of these ex SOU & BHX with their Q400s?

Vuelo
15th Oct 2004, 22:16
I am sure I have read it on here that Thomsonfly may be interested in Liverpool as a base aswell?

loveJet
18th Oct 2004, 08:49
... think u might be thinking about flybe who have just announced LPL as a base. God, if thomsonfly launch BOH-LPL, Ryanair will go crazy!

eurostar builder
18th Oct 2004, 14:28
Have just been told that Jet2 may be taking on a Bournemouth to Manchester flight, anyone anymore.

neidin
19th Oct 2004, 15:50
Bournemouth to Kerry would make sense. They could cover Cork, Limerick and the most popular area from that part of England with the one flight.

loveJet
20th Oct 2004, 09:03
...are u joking or serious?!

FLYboh
25th Oct 2004, 20:58
Anyone know what series 737 they'll base at BOH??

Have heard rumours that they are looking to source 300's.

FLYboh
11th Nov 2004, 15:03
Anyone know what the routes from BOH will be? There's a competition on local radio to win free tickets if you guess correctly. They only have 4 guess options. Does this mean they are only starting with 4 routes?:ok:

eurostar builder
11th Nov 2004, 16:20
Thats Cheating
Thats Cheating
Thats Cheating

loveJet
12th Nov 2004, 12:01
with two based aircraft, only four routes would be rather strange. Its more because the list is endless so four guesses is enough!!!

It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that Spanish sun routes will feature....

Jet

phil_2405
22nd Nov 2004, 18:15
Apparently Thomsonfly will announce their routes from BOH on the 8th Dec. Anyone got any further ideas on routes or firm info??

The_Bean_Counter
23rd Nov 2004, 13:11
Still no routes named from Doncaster either whats the story ?

Ianj
23rd Nov 2004, 14:57
I believe that both Bournemouth and Doncaster routes are being announced at the same time, early December.

Ian J.

FLYboh
23rd Nov 2004, 15:06
Has anyone heard if TOM's German sister company HLX have any plans to operate into BOH? They've started a 3 X weekly service into Coventry.

Local radio today said TOM were starting with at least 6 routes from BOH. Hopefully the market will allow for further growth.

eurostar builder
24th Nov 2004, 03:14
Has anyone heard of some of the big changes in the terminal in the new year for the start of the Thompsonfly routes.

Not just the cash machine.:D

loveJet
24th Nov 2004, 08:27
i wish people ould spell the airlines name correctly

THOMSONFLY.COM

as for routes I just hope they don't do something stupid like Bournemouth to Robbin Hood, Coventry, Jersey, Knock etc...

Jet

Would

yes i know....

Jet

WHBM
24th Nov 2004, 08:46
i wish people ould spell ..... Robbin Hood ......

Oh dear ! Bit of an own goal there !

Exel
24th Nov 2004, 22:43
"Has anyone heard of some of the big changes in the terminal in the new year for the start of the Thompsonfly routes"

YES - you might actually see some passengers in there !!!!!!!!

FLYboh
27th Nov 2004, 17:15
eurostar builder:

Have heard of the changes coming for the terminal building in the New Year. Seems drastic for 6 or so extra flights a day. Would suggest to me that either Thomsonfly have plans for later in the season or theres something else on the cards.

Do you think there is something else in the pipeline?

Maybe our Irish friends have something up their sleeves.:ok:

jabird
28th Nov 2004, 01:41
Flyboh,

If you are referring to FR, I don't think they have any plans to expand at BOH any time soon. Their response to Thomsonfly was that they weren't bothered about the "missed opportunity", as they had done their sums previously when they decided to pull out following the Buzz take over, and didn't see TOM's "first mover advantage" as a threat.

FLYboh
28th Nov 2004, 10:04
Jabird,

I am not saying that FR plan to open a base at BOH, simply that they might be considering adding a number of routes to their portfolio from BOH. Rumours are always flying around and FR themselves have indicated that BOH will see more routes and linking BOH to their sunnier bases. Especially in Italy.

The feeling that I get from the gossip circulating at BOH is that FR are looking at upto 3 new destinations from BOH. What could be a better time to announce these routes seeing as TOM are going to be doing all the publicity with BOH. FR would just have to announce the routes and let the local media do the rest. Very low cost indeed!

eurostar builder
28th Nov 2004, 10:11
re...
The feeling that I get from the gossip circulating at BOH is that FR are looking at upto 3 new destinations from BOH. What could be a better time to announce these routes seeing as TOM are going to be doing all the publicity with BOH. FR would just have to announce the routes and let the local media do the rest. Very low cost indeed!

............................................................ ............................................

Lets wait and see what happens, Hopefully Frankfurt- Hahn will return as this was very popular with students last year.

. Looking forward to hearing the New Thomsosfly routes next week.

aeulad
28th Nov 2004, 10:15
I would guess at the following routes from Bournemouth:

Edinburgh
Belfast International
Jersey
Amsterdam
Alicante
Malaga
Palma

Regards

Mike

eurostar builder
28th Nov 2004, 10:39
Re FlyBoh
Seems drastic for 6 or so extra flights a day. Would suggest to me that either Thomsonfly have plans for later in the season or theres something else on the cards.

The Changes of the terminal will be a positive move.

With the changes of the terminal, we assume that the departure gate
would be permanently open to all flights so that all passengers can do the
Security checks then have a cup of tea without all those long queues
at the departure gate.

Not forgetting that there are also other flights departing (Palmair ,
Ryanair, Rockhopper) that could be departing at similar times of the day.

Good Move – more flights – more passengers – new terminal – yes please

FLYboh
30th Nov 2004, 16:07
I had a feeling there was something else in the pipeline. Gonna be busier at BOH next year!

Edit: If Mr Meeson would like to advertise on PPRuNe he may do so at the same commercial rates that apply. We do not give free space to anyone. Please refrain from further posts which advertise.

jamesbrownontheroad
30th Nov 2004, 17:39
ThomsonFly BOH-BFS

Uh-oh, those pesky northerners have got in there first. Jet2 have just announced a BOH-BFS route.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=154035 (See thread here)

*j*

phil_2405
4th Dec 2004, 16:31
From Airliners.net:

ThomsonFly are starting flights from Bournemouth in March to the following destinations; Salzburg, Nice, Naples, Tenerife, Amsterdam and two more destinations. I think one of the other two is Palma De Mallorca, I cannot remember the final route but is a city break type destination. I found this out earlier today from someone within the company, although officially these are not released until Wed 8th December.

Source: http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1846676/

Some strange routes if this is true...Tenerife? Salzburg? No Malaga or Alicante in there? Hmm

loveJet
4th Dec 2004, 16:39
doubt very much TFS will be included.

Perhaps only weekly, certainly not daily.

AMS, EDI, ORK, PMI, ALC, AGP, VCE, NAP, PSA are more likely than SZG etc.

Anyway all will be revealed on 8th so lets just wait!

Jet

phil_2405
5th Dec 2004, 21:31
Salzburg is a winter destination really, can't see it being included in the summer programme.

I would be surprised if Thomsonfly didn't launch BOH-EDI. The only major UK & Ireland destination with no service from Bournemouth. FR do Glasgow & Dublin, Jet2 have BFS now and EDI remains.

eurostar builder
7th Dec 2004, 18:12
Tommorow is the big day for bournemouth

phil_2405
7th Dec 2004, 19:52
I guess we can expect an announcement mid-morning. Are they actually sending an aircraft/people down to Bournemouth to do the annoucement? I suppose being only a 2 aircraft base, we can expect the normal key LCC destinations, very welcome at Bournemouth though. Fingers crossed Thomsonfly is a great sucess at BOH!

phil_2405
8th Dec 2004, 10:27
Bournemouth from £17.99
Now on sale: Amsterdam, Pisa, Paris, Valencia, Palma, Faro, Malaga

FLYboh
8th Dec 2004, 10:33
Yeah! finally a good range of destinations from BOH.

Amsterdam 6 x weekly
Faro 5 x weekly
Malaga 7 x weekly
Palma 7 x weekly
Paris 5 x weekly
pisa 5 x weekly
Valencia 6 x weekly

Really pleased we got our Amsterdam route back. Didn't think it was coming after Doncaster didn't get it the other day.

I'm sure they will do really well with their routes. 2005 is looking good.:ok:

loveJet
8th Dec 2004, 11:20
come on everyone get booking, we need to match or beat Doncasters 7,500 seats sold in 12 hours! And don't forget Jet2, Ryanair and Rockhopper either.

Jet

eurostar builder
8th Dec 2004, 14:17
What good routes they have brought. these should sell very well and hopefully a good donation to the Domino appeal for the local School.

Well done Thomsonfly.

jabird
8th Dec 2004, 15:00
Well that means I got 3/6, still a fair way off, especially as some of the indications were that SZG was a cert. Well, we all know a rumour is just a rumour until you see the flights on sale, but that's what we're here for I guess.

Anyone else do any better?

I suppose anyone who guessed BFS could get half marks (sorry, being in teacher mode here) - right airport pair, wrong airline. Now Jet2 are moving in on EDI, would EDI to BOH be next?

Yankee
8th Dec 2004, 15:13
Booked mine, wife and I off to Pisa in May for £74.28 all in to attended the European Grumman owners fly-in http://www.aya.org/events/20050513-/
Love flying the AA5, but can't beat that price.

Exel
8th Dec 2004, 15:49
At last some good destinations, BUT I visited the terminal today for the first time in two years expecting to see some kind of 'razzmatazz' from Thompson, to advertise the new services.

What did I find ? Looks as if time had stood still..........15 airport staff, 5 members of the public, NO Pax and not a hint of any new services from Thompson some 3 hours after the routes had been on sale........Come on, how about some advertising ? Maybe we'll see/hear some on the local TV/radio stations and papers..........If these services are to flourish I do hope so !!!

Le Tirer
8th Dec 2004, 16:18
I only got 3 out of 6 too (wasn't expecting 7!). Got the countries fairly right though!

AMS, AGP and PMI were on my list.
Had NCE as a French destination not CDG
Had VCE as the Italian destination not PSA.
Had ALC as a third Spanish destination not VLC.
Didn't have a Portuguese destination.

Thought SZG (and LYS) would be winter destinations. Didn't expect BFS as this was I believe the worst selling of the Buzz routes. Surprised BFS is the first of the Jet2 routes rather than MAN or EDI.

A very brief article on the Bournemouth Echo website manages to incorrectly call them Thompson and Thompson Fly in the space of just three sentences!

http://www.thisisdorset.net/dorset/bournemouth/news/BOURN_NEWS_NEWS1.html

phil_2405
8th Dec 2004, 17:57
At last some good destinations, BUT I visited the terminal today for the first time in two years expecting to see some kind of 'razzmatazz' from Thompson, to advertise the new services.

What did I find ? Looks as if time had stood still..........15 airport staff, 5 members of the public, NO Pax and not a hint of any new services from Thompson some 3 hours after the routes had been on sale........Come on, how about some advertising ? Maybe we'll see/hear some on the local TV/radio stations and papers..........If these services are to flourish I do hope so !!!

Give them a chance mate!!

Le Tirer
8th Dec 2004, 22:03
Got a mention on the ITV Meridian News at 6pm and on the BBC South News at both 630pm and 1030pm although predictably the BBC got it wrong by saying there were new flights to seven countries!

eurostar builder
9th Dec 2004, 07:17
Hey which terminal did you goto.

Think you maybe in the WRONG airport if you where looking for "THOMPSON" but at bournemouth there was many banners for "Thomsonfly",which you could not miss and hit you as you walked into the terminal around 15.00.

One of the Local radio stations has been advertising "Thomsonfly" for at least a month now already with compititions and all that stuff.

One local station said there destinations was "Pizza".

This is very good news so for Bournemouth and flight have also been booked here.

loveJet
9th Dec 2004, 12:40
bookings have performed well above expectations, almost 6,000 bookings made in the first 12 hours...

Jet

FLYboh
9th Dec 2004, 15:17
Lovejet:

If Doncaster sold 7,500 in 12 hours thats 750 tickets per route

Bournemouth sold 6,000 in 12 hours thats 857 per route.

Not bad eh?

Has anyone seen or heard anything regarding BOH MD Keith Kerr?

He joined last October but has had nothing to do with the publicity for any of the new routes including the TOM announcment. Always other staff on tv or quoted in the press. Just being nosey really.:D

eurostar builder
9th Dec 2004, 15:24
Its was great to hear local news "South today" (very Southampton orientated)
Had an article about Southamptons Airport terminal being 10 years old.

They forgot to mention any flights at Bournemouth.

Also Re Mr Kerr I think you will find he has left Bournemouth Airport approx 3 months ago unless I am mistaken.

tribekey
10th Dec 2004, 10:34
MD of Bournemouth hasn't been around for several months - the place is better for it if you ask the staff.

Tom the Tenor
10th Dec 2004, 10:39
Can anyone let us know if the TOM between CVT and ORK will be around or is to be dropped for the summer scheule 2005?

Thanks.

airhumberside
10th Dec 2004, 15:57
Being dropped along with Shannon, Naples, Lyon and Salzburg, though some may be back for next winter. Cologne on Hapag Lloyd Express is also going

Exel
10th Dec 2004, 17:09
Eurostar Builder :
"Think you maybe in the WRONG airport if you where looking for "THOMPSON" but at bournemouth there was many banners for "Thomsonfly",which you could not miss and hit you as you walked into the terminal around 15.00"

Well, it looks like they must have done something after all because at 1-30pm the terminal was devoid of anything to do with ThomsonFly....or even life !!

I would have expected them to take full page advertisements in the Bournemouth, Weymouth and Southampton Evening papers by now?
Flybe regularly use this form of advertising in all those papers to extremely good effect.

Don't get me wrong though, this is great news for the local economy and i hope they really make a success of it and expand further.

FLYboh
10th Dec 2004, 19:16
Excel, you were obviously there 90 minutes too early. As Eurostar said there were banners all over the terminal at 15.00hrs.

Quote..."Think you maybe in the WRONG airport if you where looking for "THOMPSON" but at bournemouth there was many banners for "Thomsonfly",which you could not miss and hit you as you walked into the terminal around 15.00"

Re advertising. BOH sponsors Wave105 FM weather and for the last 8 weeks they've been advertising the Thomsonfly base. Also adverts went out on 2CR FM just before the announcement so people knew to check on the TOM website from the 8th.

I'm sure they'll be far more after christmas though.

Good year coming for BOH in 2005.
:ok:

Gaza
12th Dec 2004, 10:45
I suppose anyone who guessed BFS could get half marks (sorry, being in teacher mode here) - right airport pair, wrong airline. Now Jet2 are moving in on EDI, would EDI to BOH be next?

I certainly hope so. Despite not-so-low-cost fares flybe seem to have made a success of SOU-EDI and BA still operate 4/5 RT's a day.

Nakata77
17th Dec 2004, 09:25
BOOKINGS ARE PHENOMENOL

15,000 SINCE WED

FLYboh
19th Dec 2004, 09:04
Nakata 77, is that insider info as TOM don't appear to ever want to release info on their website like that? Hope they keep selling as well as that.

Thomson holidays have announced some new charter destinations from BOH using capacity on the TOM flights and using the spare tuesday slot.

They will fly to Pula in Croatia every tuesday, as well as offering holidays on the Costa Del Sol and Majorca using thursdays and sundays TOM flights.

Is there any truth in the rumour that Thomsons are looking at moving the charter programme from SOU to BOH at some stage?

Cheers:ok:

airhumberside
19th Dec 2004, 13:42
Would make sense

Nakata77
20th Dec 2004, 15:29
I hope TUI move their operation from SOU to BOH. Yes its in the rumour mill anayway. It would make perfect sense. How strange to sell flights from SOU to PMI on Spanair when there are daily TOM flights from BOH.

btw thats insider info on bookings...

eurostar builder
21st Dec 2004, 10:13
Now that Thosmonfly has a 737 -300 delivered (THOF I think),
Is it flying out of coventry on their routes.

There was talk that the new planes was going to do some advertising at Bournemouth.

FLYboh
27th Dec 2004, 18:03
Nakata 77

Any more info on how sales are going. TOM have just started advertising on local prime time tv. So sales may start gathering some pace now.:ok:

ClickRich
4th Jan 2005, 11:53
MD of Bournemouth hasn't been around for several months - the place is better for it if you ask the staff.
The who's who section of the BOH site is "Under Construction" (http://www.flybournemouth.com/corporate-information/who-is-who.php)

Before Christmas it was already contructed, so I presume we're about to see some changes.

FLYboh
4th Jan 2005, 15:21
I've heard that he's been gone for a good few months now. He didn't stay long! Would be interesting to know what went on there. The last few months have been full of good news for BOH so it would of been a great time to be the MD.

eurostar builder
5th Jan 2005, 08:09
I think I am right in saying that Bournemouth is now managed by the mangement of Manchester group.

The new Bournemouth Airport "Skybourne" paper should be out very soon, should be a good read this time.

Keep up the good work for 2005

Nakata77
5th Jan 2005, 12:39
bookings over the new year have been so good, looks like thomsonfly will add a third aircraft in october this year from BOH to ALC, VCE, SZG, EDI

FLYboh
5th Jan 2005, 15:10
It's a shame they can't get a 3rd aircraft into BOH in time for the peak summer months. Good news about the bookings though. I have seen quite a few tv ads over the Xmas holidays. They're also on radio and today I noticed a couple of bill boards have gone up around Bournemouth.

FLYboh
8th Jan 2005, 17:07
Work has started on the terminal this week. The majority of it will be airside and only accessible to passengers once they have checked in and passed security.

eurostar builder
8th Jan 2005, 17:51
Does anybody know if the Arrivals area is being extended or changed in any way.

Nakata77
10th Jan 2005, 15:16
3rd baggage belt being put in.

New duty free shop twice the size of the other one.