PDA

View Full Version : UK Helicopter Crash

Archimedes
9th Sep 2004, 12:31
Reports that six people have been killed after a helicopter crash during an exercise in the Czech Republic - from the sketchy details available at the moment, appears that it was a Lynx.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1150826,00.html

dwaynedibley
9th Sep 2004, 12:45
It was a Lynx. This is taken from the MoD Intranet.

"A British Army Lynx helicopter has crashed (12.04 BST, 9 September) whilst on an exercise in the Czech Republic. There are reports of casualties, but the details have not yet been confirmed.

Further information will be published here as soon as it is available."

Thoughts with the families and friends at this difficult time.

DD

SilsoeSid
9th Sep 2004, 13:10
From sky.com
-------
Six British soldiers have been killed in a helicopter crash in the Czech Republic.

The Czech Defence Ministry said the soldiers were taking part in a Czech-British military exercise when the crash happened near the city of Brno.

"At this point I can only say it is a British helicopter and six Britons on board died," spokesman Andrej Cirtek said.

The exercise, called Flying Rhino, began on Tuesday. RAF Harrier GR 7 and Hawk planes and Lynx helicopters were involved.

Officials said the accident happened around midday London time on Thursday, close to an airport at Namesti nad Oslavou, 19 miles west of Brno.

The helicopter was reportedly flying close to the ground.

Rescue workers at the scene told the Czech news agency CTK that the six died in a fire that erupted after the crash.

Britain's Ministry of Defence was unable to confirm any details of the crash.
---------

Don't know what to say.

Confirmed, NoK to be informed, so normal respects at this time please.

SilsoeSid
9th Sep 2004, 14:58
Update from bbc @ http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3641518.stm

Czech radio reports have quoted eye-witnesses as saying the helicopter was caught in high-voltage electric wires near a river........
.......Czech news agency CTK quoted rescue workers at the scene saying the soldiers died in a fire that broke out after the aircraft came down.

RIP

inditrees
9th Sep 2004, 15:29
RIP and condolences to the families of those lost today

Jordan D
9th Sep 2004, 17:08
Adding also my condolences to all the family and friends at what can only be a very difficult time for all involved.

Jordan

Duncan Bucket
9th Sep 2004, 17:37
"A witness at the scene told Reuters the helicopter was flying at a low altitude when its propeller clipped some overhead high voltage power lines.

The aircraft then spun out of control, hitting the ground and bursting into a fiery ball on the banks of the Oslava River.

"I heard two bangs, and then a third and immediately dark smoke started rising up," said Jiri Lysak, a 78-year-old pensioner who lives nearby.

"It was burning and some ammunition or something was exploding. A part of the chopper's tail lay about five metres away and the helicopter itself was on fire on the riverbank," he added.

Peter Wickenden, spokesman for the British Embassy in Prague, said British officials were investigating.

"An accident has happened in the Czech Republic involving a British helicopter which took place during a joint exercise. The Czech emergency services are dealing with it," he said.

"We can confirm that there are casualties, but we can't yet provide any further details."

No one on the ground was thought to have been hurt.

The military exercise, called "Flying Rhino", began on Tuesday. RAF Harrier GR-7 and Hawk planes and LYNX helicopters were involved."

May I add my condolences to the families.

owe ver chute
9th Sep 2004, 17:44
To the family and friends of those who perished, the most sincere condolences from Mrs Chute and myself.
To the Sqn and Regt our thoughts are also with you all.
OVC

Navaleye
9th Sep 2004, 18:04
I'd like to express my sympathy and condolances to the families of those
involved.

Brian Dixon
9th Sep 2004, 18:17
Sincere condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of those lost.

RIP

M609
9th Sep 2004, 18:23
Condolonces to those left behind. :(

Sky News just made a point that the UK Army have to train in unfamiliar areas (Not Germany in this case) due to several reasons , and that this might be a flight safety issue.

A bit thin???

owe ver chute
9th Sep 2004, 18:40
The Sky News reporter also said the Lynx had a radar fitted, though it wouldn't be able to detect wires and electricity pylons! I'm not too impressed with the way the Sky reporter sensationalised.

Mosspigs
9th Sep 2004, 19:22
My heartfelt thoughts go out to the crew, the boys in the back, their families and to the friends they have left behind.

Mosspigs

SmilingKnifed
9th Sep 2004, 21:35
My condolences to the families of the crew.

WE Branch Fanatic
9th Sep 2004, 21:47
I concur with the above sentiments.

Together with the Canberra crash last week, this is a reminder that members of the Services give their lives for the cause of freedom, even in peacetime.

Sympathies to those left behind.

Tandemrotor
9th Sep 2004, 22:56
I feel the very deepest sympathy for all those most closely affected by this tragic accident, and Godspeed to all those aboard.

One has to presume they died doing something they enjoyed very much indeed.

Rude C'man
9th Sep 2004, 23:26
RIP, Godspeed to the other side,
Sincere condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of those lost.

Spotting Bad Guys
9th Sep 2004, 23:38
As one who lost a good friend in the Canberra T4 crash, my sincere and heartfelt condolences to the families, friends and colleagues of the crew and pax.

RIP

SBG

teeteringhead
10th Sep 2004, 07:48
Thoughts and prayers with departed and their loved ones, recall much good natured banter with Lynxs in the "Reds" and elsewhere.

IIRC something like 70% of rotary deaths worldwide are caused by wirestrikes (if this was indeed the case here). If we can put a man on the moon, why can't we etc etc......:( :(

Edited to thank airborne_artist for the following post

airborne_artist
10th Sep 2004, 08:27
teeteringhead

look at http://www.amphitech.com/english/s2/index.html

and this pprune thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143966) on Rotorheads

NURSE
10th Sep 2004, 09:37
My sympathies to the Families and friends of those who died

SilsoeSid
10th Sep 2004, 10:02
If indeed that was the cause......http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=144213

Lets not speculate on only what we see on TV.

maersk1
10th Sep 2004, 10:42
As an ex- Lynx pilot who has served in 1 Regt my thoughts are with those left behind. Those higher up the chain of command should hang their heads in shame, wire cutters have been an issue for years, a cheap readily available fix which may, just may, have helped out in this case. The environment in which the military helicopter operates is low level, and indeed ultra low level, the very same area where wires abound, wire cutters are an essential item and must be fitted.

SilsoeSid
10th Sep 2004, 11:02
No doubt these and CVRs will be a recommendation of the board......again.

rej
10th Sep 2004, 11:03
A sad past week for military aviation. My condolences to all those involved.

The Swinging Monkey
10th Sep 2004, 11:14
hear hear reg,

this pst few days has indeed been a sad time for us military fliers.

RIP fellow warriors

God Bless
TSM

Eight Eights Blue
10th Sep 2004, 18:05
Always brings it home at times like this.

Sincere thoughts and condolences to all families involved with this tragic accident.

Words that stick in my mind when one of the crew returned to flying last year,
"I missed the flying so much that I decided to come back"

A dedicated and professional aviator who will be sadly missed.

RIP

silvereagle
10th Sep 2004, 18:14
Just picked this up from the MoD website:

It is with very deep regret that the Ministry of Defence has to confirm that six soldiers were killed when a British Army Air Corps Lynx helicopter crashed in the Czech Republic on 9 September during Exercise Flying Rhino.

The six fatalities comprised two aircrew, from 1 Regiment Army Air Corps based at Gutersloh, and four military passengers from 12 Regiment Royal Artillery based at Sennelager. A Board of Inquiry has been convened as a matter of course into the accident, which occurred near Namest.

Flying Rhino is an annual Czech-UK exercise to train forward air controller teams, and began on 7 September. Colonel Patrick Marriott, the Chief of Staff of 1 (UK) Division, said:

"This is a great tragedy for the whole division, especially for the Royal Artillery and the Army Air Corps who are key elements of the division. At this moment our thoughts and prayers are with all those who suffered a loss on a sad September day in the Czech Republic. The Divisional Commander, Major General Peter Wall, is especially grateful for the assistance of the Czech authorities, not only at the scene but their enormous help generally".

The four soldiers from 12 Regiment Royal Artillery were Gunners Bradley John Gomersall, Vincent Alexander John Crain, Kevin James Dimmock, and Daniel Kelly. Of the two aircrew, Captain Douglas Andrew Loose was a Royal Artillery officer serving with 1 Regiment Army Air Corps, aged 33. The process of informing the family of the sixth casualty is still in progress, and his name will not be released until this is completed.

Doug Loose was commissioned into the Royal Artillery in 1995 after gaining an Honours degree in Economics from Cardiff University. He served with the Allied Command Europe Mobile Force (Land), 19 Regiment Royal Artillery in Colchester, and the Army Training Regiment in Pirbright, before applying to fly with the Army Air Corps in 2000. During his time with the Royal Artillery, Doug served in Great Britain, France, Turkey, and Norway and on operations in the Former Republic of Yugoslavia. After completing the Army Pilot’s Course in April 2002 he was posted to 1 Regiment Army Air Corps in Gütersloh, Germany. Since joining the Army Air Corps he has flown in Germany, France and the Czech Republic.

"Doug was an outstanding example of an Officer and a true gentleman. He had an inner confidence and strength of character that made him extremely effective in everything that he turned his hand to, but especially as an officer and a pilot. He was a very intelligent Officer who was wholly reliable and professional in all that he did. His leadership and organisational skills soon stood out which resulted in his swift rise to Second in Command of 652 Squadron, a challenge that he easily rose to. He was due to deploy to Iraq later this year and apply for a transfer to the Army Air Corps, both of which he would have had little problems with. Under his calm, quiet exterior was a superb sense of humour that warmed all that knew him, be they soldiers or fellow Officers. Doug also found time to compete at Army sports, being a past Army duathlon champion, and an Army triathlete.

"Capt Doug Loose was one of life’s true characters that those around him were honoured to call a friend. A loving husband, he was only recently married and our deepest sympathy goes to his wife, and to all their relatives. He will be tragically missed by everyone."

Gunner Kevin Dimmock, known as "Charlie" in 9 (Plassey) Battery, was aged 26 and had recently passed the course for promotion to Lance Bombardier. He had served operationally in Cyprus and Northern Ireland, and was a firefighter during Operation Fresco in 2003. He had taken part in exercises in Canada, Germany and the UK. An extremely fit individual, he was a keen footballer and follower of West Ham, and a soldier of the highest standards. He came from Croydon and was engaged to be married.

"Charlie was a role-model soldier. Fit, professional, and a credit to his Battery, Regiment and the Royal Artillery. His keen sense of humour and willingness to have a go at anything endeared him to all who had the privilege of knowing him. Charlie's loss will leave a big hole in many people's lives, but he will be proudly remembered by all those who knew him."

Gunner Bradley Gomersall was aged 19 and came from Barrow. Known as "Gommy", he came from Barrow and served with 58 (Eyre's) Battery within the Regiment. He had served on operations in Northern Ireland and Iraq, and had represented the Regiment at Nordic Skiing in Norway over the last two years. Along with his colleagues who died with him in the accident, he was in training for the very demanding Cambrian Patrol competition, which tests soldiers' endurance and patrolling skills. An accomplished footballer, Gommy was a fervent Arsenal supporter. He also enjoyed darts and encouraged the game enthusiastically in the Battery bar.

"Gommy was a young man with great potential - the Battery had applied for his promotion following his recent attendance on the Lance Bombardier Leadership course, where he had excelled. He was a bright and gregarious young man with a strong sense of camaraderie. His family, friends and Regiment will proudly remember Gommy."

Gunner Vincent Crain was aged 19 and came from Rochdale. Serving in 9 (Plassey) Battery, he had served in Northern Ireland and was regarded as a very bright soldier who produced excellent results of the highest standards in all areas of military life. A very good rugby player, naturally fit and fiercely competitive, he was a key member of the Battery and Regimental Tug of War teams.

"Vincent undoubtedly had a very bright career ahead of him. His bearing and commitment were exemplary. He had a "work hard, play hard" attitude and in his short time with the Battery had made lasting impressions on everyone. He will always be known as an excellent soldier and a loyal friend who was a credit to the Royal Artillery. He is proudly remembered and dearly missed by his family and many friends."

Gunner Daniel Kelly was aged 20. At his family's request, no further details will be made available. We request that the media respect this decision .

Captain Doug Loose

Gunner Bradley Gomersall

Training Risky
10th Sep 2004, 18:20
I only knew Doug for a few months at Shawbury before he left for Middle Wallop, nice guy.

Godspeed to all six.:(

X-QUORK
10th Sep 2004, 19:18
My condolences to the family, friends, and fellow Squadron and Battery personnel of those lost in the accident.

Thinking of you Fred Frog guys....from an ex-frogger.

Rats Naks
10th Sep 2004, 20:35
My deepest sympathy for all of those invovled in this tragic accident.

God bless you mate, we had some good laughs together, memories that I will hold close forever. Rest in peace mate until we meet again.

Ratty.

Wylie
10th Sep 2004, 22:09
Although we cannot mention names just yet, we in the AAC have lost 2 good men. To their families and friends I would like to send my deepest condolences.
For the guys in the back of this aircraft........words fail me.

God bless you all.

Tiger_mate
11th Sep 2004, 07:42
Of the two pilots, Captain Douglas Andrew Loose was a Royal Artillery officer serving with 1 Regiment Army Air Corps, aged 33.
http://news.mod.uk/img/pressdatabase/images/supportingImages/large/loose_tn.jpg

Doug Loose was commissioned into the Royal Artillery in 1995 after gaining an Honours degree in Economics from Cardiff University. He served with the Allied Command Europe Mobile Force (Land), 19 Regiment Royal Artillery in Colchester, and the Army Training Regiment in Pirbright, before applying to fly with the Army Air Corps in 2000. During his time with the Royal Artillery, Doug served in Great Britain, France, Turkey, and Norway and on operations in the Former Republic of Yugoslavia. After completing the Army Pilot’s Course in April 2002 he was posted to 1 Regiment Army Air Corps in Gütersloh, Germany. Since joining the Army Air Corps he has flown in Germany, France and the Czech Republic.

"Doug was an outstanding example of an Officer and a true gentleman. He had an inner confidence and strength of character that made him extremely effective in everything that he turned his hand to, but especially as an officer and a pilot. He was a very intelligent Officer who was wholly reliable and professional in all that he did. His leadership and organisational skills soon stood out which resulted in his swift rise to Second in Command of 652 Squadron, a challenge that he easily rose to. He was due to deploy to Iraq later this year and apply for a transfer to the Army Air Corps, both of which he would have had little problems with. Under his calm, quiet exterior was a superb sense of humour that warmed all that knew him, be they soldiers or fellow Officers. Doug also found time to compete at Army sports, being a past Army duathlon champion, and an Army triathlete.

"Capt Doug Loose was one of life’s true characters that those around him were honoured to call a friend. A loving husband, he was only recently married and our deepest sympathy goes to his wife, and to all their relatives. He will be tragically missed by everyone."

The other pilot was Sergeant Ollie Kemp, Army Air Corps.

Sergeant Ollie Kemp joined the Army Air Corps in June 1987. While serving with 3 Regiment Army Air Corps, he rapidly rose to the rank of Corporal before applying for flying training in 1991. On completion of his flying training he was posted back to 3 Regiment as a Lynx Aircrewman where he deployed on exercise to Canada, Cyprus, Kenya, and completed operational tours in both Northern Ireland and the Former Republic of Yugoslavia. In 1996 he returned to Middle Wallop to attend the Army Pilot’s Course, after which he was posted to 4 Regiment Army Air Corps in Wattisham as a Lynx pilot. In 2001 he left the Army to set up a corporate entertainment company; however, not wishing to lose his Army links, he took a TA Commission in the Royal Artillery. In 2003, missing the excitement of flying, he re-enlisted and was posted to 1 Regiment Army Air Corps in Gütersloh, Germany. Since being with 1 Regiment Army Air Corps he has deployed on exercise to Denmark and the Czech Republic, and was due to deploy to Iraq in the near future.

"Ollie was a true soldier in every sense of the word. He was happiest when busy, most of all when flying. Able to turn his hand to anything, he often volunteered for additional duties, whether it be deploying on exercise or rebuilding a crew room. His ability and zeal for soldiering made him an obvious choice as the Operations SNCO in 661 Squadron, a job that he conducted with imagination and true professionalism. His genuine character and excellent sense of humour were infectious to all around him, making him well respected both as a soldier and as a close friend to many in the Regiment. Despite his busy schedule Ollie still found time to study, gaining a PhD in Military History."

"Sgt Ollie Kemp was an excellent soldier, a true friend and a loving father to his two sons. He will be sorely missed by his Squadron and the Regiment, and our thoughts and prayers are with his family at this tragic time."

RIP, there but for the grace of god

Governormalfunction
11th Sep 2004, 16:21
May all of you Rest in Peace.

Tq Monster
11th Oct 2004, 19:38
As the years go on it seems as those more and more friends go missing. Sometimes I think I picked an awful job for the pain it gives as we lose yet another friend!

Ollie it was always a pleasure.

You will be greatly missed.