PDA

View Full Version : AFI's

KPax
9th Sep 2004, 12:23
A friend of mine told me that for the Lyneham AFI 8th Sep they were given 24 hours notice that the whole unit was to be in No1 HD for the whole day,and that there was to be no on station flying training. I thought this had stopped years ago. Techies having to carry their No 1's with them in case it was needed. I am all for tradition but is this the way forward or is it just to justify the new uniform. What about putting the Royal Air Force 'green ' badge on the number one to ensure people know who we are.

4fitter
9th Sep 2004, 12:59
Cannot vouch for the rumour but excluding wearing it all day etc etc, what is the problem with wearing No1s ?

The cynic in me thinks that the techies may be complaining only because they don't fit in them anymore.

Look forward to the 'true' story from ABIW :ok:

Always_broken_in_wilts
9th Sep 2004, 15:50
Not sure as to the exact policy on the wearing of said uniform but we were told that unless we were teaching and "needed" to be in flying kit then No1 was to be the dress for the day:yuk:

Like Kpax I thought this sort of abuse of power had been killed off years ago. There is more than enough f@@k factor in todays military without a whole unit having to formally dress up just cos a senior occifer pays a visit :}

small rant over.

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

Red Line Entry
9th Sep 2004, 16:50
Not that I want to get the reputation of the saddo following the party line, an AFI is hardly a "dress up 'cos a VIP is visiting"

Actually I've found that an AFI (or the pre-AOC's depending on your era) is a good excuse for an annual spring clean and a lever to get the work services done that have been continually refused. Nothing like the AOC's route going past the Airmen's Club to get the funds released for the paint job it's been crying out for!

November4
9th Sep 2004, 18:43
For the last couple of AFIs at Brize, we've had to dust off the No1s.

Well the rest of the station has - not sure about aircrew as spend the day not wondering around and hiding in the office. :ok:

StopStart
9th Sep 2004, 22:31
Didn't know it was AFIs this week hence I turned up in my flying suit.
Soon saw the error of my ways and went home.
And drank beer in the garden for the rest of the day.
:ok:

It's tough at the front.....

BEagle
9th Sep 2004, 22:42
Back in the days of yore when Stoppers was making strange noises and horrid smells, AFIs (or AOC's Inspection) were actually quite fun if you were an average aircrew shag. Yes, there was tha balls-ache of wearing No 1HD and doing a parade (yes, really!) - but then there was an excellent sit down lunch preceded by lots of gin. It lasted for a few hours, then you just lurched off back to the sqn. It was doubtful whether The Man would actually drop by and even more doubtful if he would speak to mere shags as he was invariably surrounded by a smarm of senior wheels wherever he went. Then after he'd buggered off, there was another session in the bar - and an extra day's stand down was usually announced shortly thereafter.

Whoever turned a day off work dressed up in No 1s getting widdled on the firm into an alleged 'working visit' has a lot to answer for!

Always_broken_in_wilts
9th Sep 2004, 23:01
Unlike Stoppers I did know it was AOC's this week but followed the rest of his shining example and simply stayed away:ok:

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

teeteringhead
10th Sep 2004, 08:03
Ah BEags, how well I remember such days! Only keen types had walk on or speaking parts on the parade, the shags formed a "supernumerary flight" traditionally positioned "behind the flag". A motley group of ill-fitting No 1s, topped by aged Bates hats, more green than blue, and probably stuffed with newspaper to regain some shape.....

And speaking of lunches, I actually went to a "practice lunch" once in advance of a Royal visit (Charlie's Aunt IIRC). But it was foodless and drinkless! Staish and PMC so worried about a serving c*ck-up, that empty plates were delivered to all particpants, stewards wandered around with empty bottles, empty plates (and appropriate irons) collected - to be replaced by further empty plates of a different size!!

And you tell that to t' young folk o' today, an' they'll not believe yer!:ok:

BEagle
10th Sep 2004, 08:17
Ah - those 'practice lunches'!

At Cranners back before it went comprehensive, one of the GEs was about to graduate and the reviewing officer was going to be some minor chinless royal. Thus it was ordained that 'informal groups' should be established; anyone with parents of assessed importance would be near the front to meet the princeling. We really had such class-apartheid even in the early '70s!

So a questionnaire went out asking what one's parents did. Including 'Did your father/mother serve in WW2 as an officer. If so, in what rank?'.

One chap wrote "Yes. He was a Major". However, when questioned by his Flt Cdr further, it transpired that his father's regiment had been the Umpty-umpth Panzer Regiment of the Deutsche Wehrmacht! Needless to say, he wasn't required to meet the princeling. Which was a pity, because being a half box-head, he was probably distantly related!

4fitter
10th Sep 2004, 09:51
Ah Beags, Teeteringhead, practice lunches, gash reviewing officers and liquid AOC's - brings back warm memories.

Following on from Beagle I recall a male PMRAFNS officer with a very German name being asked by the AOC if his name was German !! Said officer in a broad Oldham accent replied yes.

AOC asked what his father did and PM replied that he'd flown ME109s during the war. Can't think why the AOC spluttered and left our group.

BEagle
10th Sep 2004, 10:09
Back when Scampton had real a/c, we were in the throes of a spectacularly good post dining-in night session in the ante room. Which involved Mess Rugby and a cabbage. The Groupie was invited to take part, took off his jacket muttering "I shouldn't really do this - last time I broke my bloody leg" and got stuck in. Minutes later there as an ominous cracking noise followed by "Oh bugger!" from Himself. The SMO was prised away from his beer, took one look and said "Well, it's your ankle this time, sir!" Stn Cdr was one the one hand peeved because his wife was going to go for his throat when he got home - but at the same time rather amused because it meant that OC Admin Wg was going to have to do AOC's the following week whilst he was happily wheeled around by a pretty WRAFlette!

And that was the last time I was stupid enough to play Mess Rugby because it cost me a new pair of shoes, a new shirt and a repaired watch! Never again!!

Wasn't it so much better when Stn Cdrs did such things instead of spouting cr@p about 'Mission Statements' and 'Visions'..... Glad that I was able to sample that wonderful era of work hard, play hard, into the pub at lunchtime if you weren't flying, no stupid fitness tests, no stupid swimming tests, GDT was a day spent dozing through lectures from the Rocks plus a bit of gas and guns, Taceval was more important than 'Performance Indicators' - and we all knew what we were there for!

Scud-U-Like
10th Sep 2004, 10:26
Donning No1s once a year: what a terrible hardship. You poor poor people. I hear the Post-Inspection Smartness Trauma Team will be visiting the secret Wiltshire airbase to provide counselling for those affected.

JessTheDog
10th Sep 2004, 15:30
What is the point of having No 1s if you don't wear then now and again?

AFIs are a necessary evil and it is good for the unit to turn out in best order now and again - most VIP visits now have No 1s for the hosting party only, with everyone else in normal working dress.

However, from experience, working in No 1s is unpleasant and the point about beer calls and boozy lunches is well made - more of these please!!

I forgot about the obligatory day\'s stand down! A price worth paying, especially in these harsh days of diminishing Christmas grants and no bank holiday travelling time!

allan907
11th Sep 2004, 04:34
The unruly gaggle of saddo's behind the flag was always good for a laugh for those of us burdened with the parade. Never seen one occasion when they all got it together - even coming to attention!

Had one AOCs parade at Honington which was absolute purgatory. The thunder flies and green fly were swarming from the nearby acres of wheat fields and gently blowing onto the parade. Of course one couldn't scratch or wave the buggers away and one had to stand there and take it. It was therefore a huge pleasure when OC Admin turned round and told me to march over to the supernumeraries and "sort the buggers out". Spent the whole distance there and back scratching like mad. Pep talk had no effect on the aircraft ballast though!