PDA

View Full Version : AUD$100,000+ for a JetRanger pilot?

wishtobflying
9th Sep 2004, 06:00
I've just been told first hand that a company in Queensland has employed a JetRanger pilot, paying him a salary of over AUD$100,00. He claims they advertised extensively in Australian newspapers and flight magazine publications, web based job sites, etc, and only got TWO applicants for the job.

First of all, I seriously queried the efforts they went to in advertising, given everything I've heard about job prospects for helicopter pilots these days (no, I'm not actually a pilot, blah blah kick him off PPRuNe blah blah).

The gentleman assured me they had spent quite a bit of time going through the process of looking for someone, and were satisfied that they were paying a fair rate.

So .... between "doom and gloom" and "you'll be forever poor as a pilot" and "there are heaps of unemployed pilots", where does a $100,000+ salary job to be single pilot in a 206 go begging?

Cheers,

wishtobflying

sprocket
9th Sep 2004, 07:29
Will the pilot fly in Qld. or will he be working in a country just north of Oz?

Ascend Charlie
9th Sep 2004, 09:40
That would make sense - an army Captain on full flying allowances gets over $100K, so to attract an ex-army pilot, and to avoid complaints of huge differences between serving and civvy pilots, this would be needed.

But to get that money for galloping around the circuit at Oakey, and have no military obligations to go get shot at, it makes a joke of what a do-everything charter pilot gets, dunnit?:ugh:

LGB81
9th Sep 2004, 10:48
I cant imagine anyone down there (SE QLD) offering a wage like that?
Who was it? Or when did they advertise? Clues....anyone?

DIVINE WIND
9th Sep 2004, 12:57
LGB81,
yours truly, the Australian taxpayer will be paying the wage. I am not whinging though, good luck to successful applicant. A military gig whilst remaining a civilian, nice one!

Steve76
9th Sep 2004, 20:04
I thought Trev had that job.

wishtobflying
9th Sep 2004, 23:02
I was trying to be circumspect about identities and therefore not mention the military nature of the job. The other reason I didn't mention it is that I specifically asked if the pilot had to be ex-mil, and was told "I don't think so". Obviously the person wasn't close enough to the process to be aware of that detail.

Having said that, surely there would be more than two ex-mil 206-rated pilots around Australia who would have been interested in this level of pay .... !?

Another thing - if a Captain makes that sort of money, I'm surprised the Army is complaining about a shortage of people interested in joining.

Take note, all you school age sprogs who are reading this and trying to make a decision about next year, or the year after!

Cheers,

wishtobflying

victor two
10th Sep 2004, 00:38
I am fairly surprised that you say an army pilot at the rank of captain is making $100K per year. Are you certain of that? A couple of my mates are army chopper pilots and they are
not making anywhere near $100 grand. In fact a look at the defence recruitment website publishes the pay scales and allowances openly and I would put the pay closer to $65000. The base pay for a newly winged second leuitenant is only $42000 plus about 8 grand in allowances. That's a long way from $100K.

They might take in 100K as a Captain on operational combat pay scales but they aren't getting that sitting around Townsville and flying 200 hours a year training.

Have a look at defencejobs.gov.au and link through to payscales if you want to have a look.

cheers

Vic

Grogan
10th Sep 2004, 06:53
The Job as I remember it was advertised on several web sites. Preference was given to Military experience but not reqiured. I had heard it was coming up a few weeks b4 it did and if you had read anything around you could have figured it was going to happen. Good money for easy work from what I hear.

Good luck to whomever got the job.

Grogan

Thomas coupling
10th Sep 2004, 11:05
£38,000 (UK) seems reasonable for an army pro???? And a junior ranking one too?

Is Aussie low wages then?

John Eacott
10th Sep 2004, 11:39
TC,

Yes. But low cost of living: figure that whatever you pay £1 for, will cost $A1 (except for cars and some white goods :rolleyes: ).

eg Petrol 99cpl, beer $2.40 pot, restaurant main course about $25 (depends on the city and the area, same as London vs Glasgow!).

Now, about this job that I missed out on.........wish I could afford to pay anyone that sort of salary, anyone able to give more specifics?

belly tank
10th Sep 2004, 14:32
Comparing Salaries.....im presuming a 412 air ambulance CP would be entitled to this equivalent wage for flying in the soup, decision making, NVFR missions in singles , usual CP duties. im not sure of the description of this job but $100k seems like a good wicket especially in the army ranks where they may fly ...what..150 hous PA....you do the maths!!!

Chinook
14th Sep 2004, 04:41
Pay rate is available from recruiting.

Flying allowance is paid upon qualification and increases with experience.

An AAAvn Capt with a few years seniority has been flying for between 6-10 years, is drawuing about $65000 salary plus approx $20000 allowance, plus an extra $4000 odd for being in a flying posiiton.

Govt does not get much change out of $100 000, except for outrageous tax implications.

Most days I felt guilty taking the money - some days (only a few) I reckoned you could have paid me five times that and i STILL would have thrwon my toys out of the cot and sulked.

Come on in, the work is good, the money excellent and Townsville is lovely.