PDA

View Full Version : Battle of Britain Grace

jollygreenfunmachine
8th Sep 2004, 18:40
Gents,

I have been dicked at short notice to give the grace at the Sgt's Mess B of B Ball. Anyone got any good ones or ideas where i can get one?

Thanks

rej
8th Sep 2004, 19:13
For a short, semi-sensible one how about the one I used at a JATCC Grad dinner at Shawbury once,

"God of goodness bless our food,
keep us in a pleasant mood.
Bless the chef and those who serve us,
from indigestion , Lord preserve us."

Oggin Aviator
8th Sep 2004, 21:25
Good wine, good meat, good God, lets eat.

16 blades
9th Sep 2004, 01:28
Our Lord Jesus, so divine
Who turned the water into wine
Bless us merry gentlemen
As we turn it back again

TheBeeKeeper
9th Sep 2004, 07:45
I used one for a top table lunch the other week..... sure you could modify for dinner..... and I guess you wouldn't be PAYD?

Bless us Heavenly Father,
And keep us all alive,
There are twenty of us here for lunch,
But as were on Pay as you Dine,
There's only food for five!

BK

buoy15
9th Sep 2004, 11:53
JGFM
Talk to your Padres
They are brilliant at short notice compositions to fit any event and come up with some very original and clever "one offs" which I have valued over the years
Especially one who comes to mind is the lovely John Sneddon whose eulogies at military funerals for someone he hardly knew probably coined the phrase " You can have more fun at a Glasgow funeral than you can at an Edinburgh wedding"
When you give it, take a BIG breath, then breath out slowly saying, "relax relax relax relax relax", Should be OK!
All the best
Love many, trust a few, always paddle your own canoe!!

RADAR Advisory
9th Sep 2004, 12:41
I've just been asked to be Mr Vice for tomorrows dinner also. I've been looking on the internet, but there hasn't been much there. I found the following prayer at www.skygod.com/quotes/poetry:

AN AIRMAN GRACE
Lord of thunderhead and sky
Who place in man the will to fly
Who taught his hand speed, skill and grace
To soar beyond man's dwelling place
You shared with him the Eagle's view
The right to soar, as Eagles do
The right to call the clouds his home
And grateful, through your heavens roam
May all assembled here tonight
And all who love the thrill of flight
Recall with twofold gratitude
Your gift of Wings, Your gift of Food.
— Father John MacGillivary, Royal Canadian Air Force

I'm probably going to use this one.

Best of luck!!:E

RA

Bof
9th Sep 2004, 17:06
Back in the early 70's at Abingdon. Padre stood up and said "God bless this bunch and the munch that they crunch!"
Staish not amused. Didn't believe in frivolous padres.

Same dining-out we had a Sqn Ldr Flight Engineer who was leaving and although he was not replying on behalf of the guests, nevertheless was addressed by the PMC "I call on Sqn Ldr ***** to tell us a joke!"

S/L F/E, who was a well known raconteur, lumbered to his feet and after the niceties to the Stn Cdr, PMC, ladies and gentlemen, uttered these immortal words, "When I knew I was coming to this event, I asked my wife what I should say if they asked me to speak. Can't help you there she replied, but whatever you do keep it short and keep it clean ----- so I stuck it under a cold tap!" Brought the house down.